Your Favorite operative book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Your favorite operative Textbook

• Chassin's Operative Strategy in General Surgery (2002)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Operative Anatomy - Carol E. H. Scott-Conner (2008)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Mastery of Surgery, 2 Volume Set (2006)

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Other (please specifiy)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

S4surgery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All inputs are welcome , just searching for some guidance here

Members don't see this ad.

I did not include Maingot's abdominal operations though it is my all time favorite because its abdominal only (so in addition to that) what is your favorite and why?
thank you

All inputs are welcome , just searching for some guidance here

This poll is pretty worthless. There's probably only 5-10 people who post on SDN who even have experience with the books, and you already know we have different preferences from reading our posts on the subject. The poll changes nothing.

I recommend looking at all the books, and seeing which one you like. Start by going through your resident or med school library. None of these books need to be purchased prior to starting your intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you
i still think that 5- 10 opinions would matter

Agreed that you should look through the books yourself and find one that YOU like. I had a very difficult time with hernia repairs when I first started doing them, so would use that as a basis of comparison between the various books - Zollinger's, Mastery, etc.

If you get a couple votes here and there on your poll, would that change anything? Wouldn't you look through the books yourself anyway? And decide which you liked best? Surely if you wanted large numbers of reviews you'd go somewhere like Amazon, right?

whats wrong with you people, I SWEAR i have been through all of them , i read full chapters and i have been using mastery regularly via online access, but when it comes to being an intern, when in Rome do as the Romans do.
the question is very simple which one is your favorite!!!! what is so ambiguous in this to lecture me about what should i do, if you dont have a favorite feel free to scroll to the next post :)

As an intern at an academic program, I had no need for an atlas.

All of your posts/threads have been about residency books (ABSITE, then basic science, then operative atlas). If you've already read the FAQ, the next step is to look at the books yourself. If you've already done that, and want to "do as the Romans do," ask your fellow residents this July when you start internship. You don't want to buy a book based on a few anonyous reviews here, only to find it's not what everyone else at your program is using, right?

If you're intent on "pre-reading" before residency, then I agree with free online access. No need to go out and buy a book yet.

zollinger's atlas is pretty good for most general stuff

whats wrong with you people, I SWEAR i have been through all of them , i read full chapters and i have been using mastery regularly via online access, but when it comes to being an intern, when in Rome do as the Romans do.
the question is very simple which one is your favorite!!!! what is so ambiguous in this to lecture me about what should i do, if you dont have a favorite feel free to scroll to the next post :)

Word!!

If you could only have one item from the poll I would vote for Mastery. However, I regularly use Chassins and Zollingers when preparing for cases.

Even though I don't do general surgery anymore (except when I assist friends for fun and profit), I like to have an updated GS text and atlas on my shelf for reference.

I see there is a new Zollingers which I am considering upgrading to (since that is what I've always used) but want to consider others as well.

For those that have had the chance to look at all of them:

- what is "missing" from Chassin's (ie, its nearly a decade old)?
- is Scott-Conner's 2008 Operative Anatomy worthwhile (ie, how is it different from Chassin's that she edited)?

I like Mastery but not sure, since I have the last edition, that I wish to upgrade for over $300.

Let's hear it for Dr. Bland and Mastery of Surgery. Love the guy and the book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I don't do general surgery anymore (except when I assist friends for fun and profit), I like to have an updated GS text and atlas on my shelf for reference.

I see there is a new Zollingers which I am considering upgrading to (since that is what I've always used) but want to consider others as well.

For those that have had the chance to look at all of them:

- what is "missing" from Chassin's (ie, its nearly a decade old)?
- is Scott-Conner's 2008 Operative Anatomy worthwhile (ie, how is it different from Chassin's that she edited)?

I like Mastery but not sure, since I have the last edition, that I wish to upgrade for over $300.
Let me know if you'd like to take a look at a 5th edition Mastery if you want to *ahem* try before you *buy*.

Never even looked at Mastery although that is a popular one.

Back in the day, I used Chassin's, Zollinger, and also the little red Skandalakis book called "Surgical Anatomy and Techniques". That Skandalakis book is really pretty sweet for explaining the steps to an operation, and detailing the relevant anatomy.

An awesome web site for laparoscopy is websurg.com. It is free and the videos are high quality, and excellent for viewing the night before a case.

Never even looked at Mastery although that is a popular one.

Back in the day, I used Chassin's, Zollinger, and also the little red Skandalakis book called "Surgical Anatomy and Techniques". That Skandalakis book is really pretty sweet for explaining the steps to an operation, and detailing the relevant anatomy.

An awesome web site for laparoscopy is websurg.com. It is free and the videos are high quality, and excellent for viewing the night before a case.

I have Skandalakis. I have found it to be a bit unbalanced...something like a thousand pages on hernia but then short shrift to other things.

I appreciate the websurg link, but I just want something to have on my shelf.

Any thoughts on what Chassin might be missing since its so old?

I have Skandalakis. I have found it to be a bit unbalanced...something like a thousand pages on hernia but then short shrift to other things.

I appreciate the websurg link, but I just want something to have on my shelf.

Any thoughts on what Chassin might be missing since its so old?

I've always liked Operative Anatomy by Scott-Conner because it is well done, but it's not a gigantic 2-volume set, and it is hypothetically more mobile.

Chassin's is just a great book. Of course techniques are outdated, but you wouldn't use it to prepare for a garden-variety general surgery case. It seems to have more foregut stuff, and great pictures, and is really good for review of the anatomy.

I used mastery of surgery in med school alot, and just fell out of love with it once I discovered the scott-conner books. I rarely look at it now.

Rob and smith's Operative surgery is still the best although new edition hasnt come after 1995

Rob and smith's Operative surgery is still the best although new edition hasnt come after 1995

Then it can't really be the best. While I admit that I'm not familiar with the book, there's very little that we did the same 15-16 years ago as we do now. Surgical technique has evolved in nearly all areas of surgery, even pediatrics despite their attempts to stay the same.

Then it can't really be the best. While I admit that I'm not familiar with the book, there's very little that we did the same 15-16 years ago as we do now. Surgical technique has evolved in nearly all areas of surgery, even pediatrics despite their attempts to stay the same.
I dont agree, the surgical anatomy and the basic principles don't change. The book is useful even today.
Anyway thats my own personel opinion

Operative Anatomy - Carol E. H. Scott-Conner

But I haven't even looked at the others ;) I bought this one on recommendation from a few of my seniors, and I think it's pretty nice. I have some money left in my book fund, and I'm liking the Zollinger's atlas...