Your GPA vs the average GPA of pre-pharm students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. What's your GPA and how does it stack up vs the average of other pre-pharm students?? Just gathering info here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. What's your GPA and how does it stack up vs the average of other pre-pharm students?? Just gathering info here.

The average of prepharm students is what? about 3.5?

Anyone else at all care to share their GPA???

Members don't see this ad :)
After one semester of non-science courses 3.78. But I suspect that will go somewhat down after this semster.:(

Trying to get a real range of where everyone else is.

Ok, well since you showed me yours, I guess I feel obliged to show you mine... 3.91. You might want to check the gpa of accepted students to the school you're applying to though... might give you a more accurate idea of where you stand.

Ok, well since you showed me yours, I guess I feel obliged to show you mine... 3.91. You might want to check the gpa of accepted students to the school you're applying to though... might give you a more accurate idea of where you stand.

remember tho... gpa isn't everything!!!! pcat, work experience, extracurrics, community service, etc. are all important. i know a couple ppl that got into some schools with a low pcat and low gpa but they made up in the areas i listed. just have confidence!! trust me.. it makes a world of difference

remember tho... gpa isn't everything!!!! pcat, work experience, extracurrics, community service, etc. are all important. i know a couple ppl that got into some schools with a low pcat and low gpa but they made up in the areas i listed. just have confidence!! trust me.. it makes a world of difference

Yep, that's why I'm not big on giving out gpa, because it really doesn't mean much. I mean you want at least a 3.0, preferrably at least a 3.5 (but some have gotten in with <3.0) but it's the whole package that counts. People with 4.0s get rejected too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, that's why I'm not big on giving out gpa, because it really doesn't mean much. I mean you want at least a 3.0, preferrably at least a 3.5 (but some have gotten in with <3.0) but it's the whole package that counts. People with 4.0s get rejected too.

yuppers. matter of fact, my good friend got rejected from his top choice last year. he had a 4.0 and 96 PCAT. Its good to be confident but there is a fine line between being confident and being cocky. I think his cockiness during the interview lead to his downfall. but he still got into the other school he interviewed for.

I wouldn't downplay the importance of a good gpa and a good pcat score though. A high gpa/pcat will pretty much guarantee you a interview, and depending on the school, earlier interview slots (and depending on the interview, first dibs at the seats available). So you definitely want a competitive gpa/pcat so you can get a interview in early january vs. late april. A competitive gpa is a gpa that is whatever the average gpa of last years incoming class, it will give you an idea of where you stand gpa wise.

Your LOR, PS, EC will be more relevent if the adcom is having a hard time in choosing between you and another student with similar stats. It is also during the interview that your LOR, PC, EC's will become really important as many interviewers will draw questions from it.

I do agree that once you get that interview, your grades are pretty much irrelevent. The person with a 2.8 is just as likely to get in as a student with a 4.0 and vise versa. The problem is depending on how competitive that program is, whether or not the student with the 2.8 will even get a chance to interview. Just remember, if their are only 130 seats, 500 interview spots, and say 1000 applicants........you get the idea.

Good luck

back on topic: my gpa is a 3.8 overall/3.9 sci.

Yeah I am hoping all my volunteering and EC's will make up for my GPA(if it's low). I am having a tough semester and my 3.78 will probably drop =/.

I plan on volunteering overseas in a pharmacy, in a hospital in my city, and maybe even getting a job in a pharmacy if I can find one.

...and the average GPA of the admitted students last year at the University of Minnesota is 3.52!

...and the average GPA of the admitted students last year at the University of Minnesota is 3.52!

So you were slightly below the average then? Did you have good EC or volunteering or anything like that?

I think that you are worrying too much about the value of GPA. An average may be 3.5, but what is the standard deviation? For all we know, schools may have as many 3.0s as 4.0s.

Regardless of you GPA and PCAT, you need extracurriculars, good letters, and, in many cases, pharmacy experience (volunteer or paid). Doing well in an interview is important, too.

I agree GPA isn't everything. I got into UT with a 3.38 and the average is around 3.6. So I was well below the mean, but I made up the difference with a high PCAT, a previous degree, 4 years work experience, 18 months pharmacy experience, creating an interactive training program for new hires at my pharmacy, and 250 hrs volunteering in consulting pharmacy. My GPA in my prereqs was also higher than my GPA in my previous degree, so it showed some improvement overall. I also can't stress enough that having a killer interview can make all the difference. Take the time to learn how to interview and put your best foot forward and you'll be ahead of the curve.

3.3~3.4 Cumulative
Science - never really calculate it o_O

according to pharmcas

science 3.72
math 3.86

3.97 science GPA

stupid genetics lab

What was the lowest grade that you got in any of the pre-reqs and science/math courses?

3.97 science GPA

stupid genetics lab

lol...I'm guessing that was the only class you got lower than an A in. Mine was a B in Gen Chem Lab. The final kicked my a**.

Currently at a 3.98 but I just want to graduate w/a 3.9 so I'm slacking a little this semester. Plus with traveling around with interviews my grades have been hurting a bit. Keep that in mind when you decide applying to schools across the country is a good idea!

I agree GPA isn't everything. A high one can get you in the door, but won't get you accepted. You need to be rounded in the other areas as well.

i don't mean to be a condescending *******s... but am i the only one who hates these threads. there is absolutely no point to them, typing a number without any sort of context is like peeing into the wind

3.15 when I applied and got accepted.

Now... its a 3.22.

As u can see, its way below all of you guys!

3.15 when I applied and got accepted.

Now... its a 3.22.

As u can see, its way below all of you guys!

What schools did you get into? Just curious because I am hoping to apply to a bunch of Cal schools.

just kidding.

i don't think it's wise to ask members, particularly this forum, for GPA comparisons.

the people here tend to reflect a smarter percentage of people interested in grad school. there are many others out there who get accepted and are not registered in sdn.

just kidding.

i don't think it's wise to ask members, particularly this forum, for GPA comparisons.

the people here tend to reflect a smarter percentage of people interested in grad school. there are many others out there who get accepted and are not registered in sdn.

I have to disagree with this post. Whether you were referring this board or specific thread, there is an equal mix of everything here (and there). For the OP, schools post information on admitted students so you don't need to wonder or ask these types of questions...

I agree with etOH. Threads like this contribute to the academic prowess of sdn.

So you were slightly below the average then? Did you have good EC or volunteering or anything like that?

Yeah, lots of EC's and work experience at both retail and hospital pharmacies. I also have a good PCAT score to make up for my low GPA. I guess It's the whole package that counts- you can't be perfect in all aspects.

3.26 when I applied, but 3.30 currently.

i don't mean to be a condescending *******s... but am i the only one who hates these threads. there is absolutely no point to them, typing a number without any sort of context is like peeing into the wind
hahaha *high five* that made me smile

hahaha *high five* that made me smile

yeah its not hard to get a high pre-pharm GPA but try getting a biochem degree or a high degree with 3.7 or 3.5 its not so easy. I dont see why more schools dont go by the classes u take and not what ur GPA is bc someone who has a solid degree like biochem or bio is in better shape than a pre-pharm who only did 2 years and has a 3.3 or 3.4 imo.

yeah its not hard to get a high pre-pharm GPA but try getting a biochem degree or a high degree with 3.7 or 3.5 its not so easy. I dont see why more schools dont go by the classes u take and not what ur GPA is bc someone who has a solid degree like biochem or bio is in better shape than a pre-pharm who only did 2 years and has a 3.3 or 3.4 imo.

i agree with you wholeheartedly, not only should they take degree into account, but also the prestige of the university (although some schools already do). Your biochem degree from say UCLA is worth a hell of a lot more than some unknown private school!

p.s. I find the GPA questions really weird and pointless, it's all so subjective, why do people insist on asking it!? I've seen people on SDN get accepted with a 2.5 and people on SDN get rejected with a 3.75.

GPA's are very subjective. It really depends on what university you are attending and what you're majoring in. Grade inflation is typically rampant at community colleges so many cc students have very high GPA's but are on the lower end of the "PCAT spectrum." As long as you have a GPA above 3.0, have some sort of leadership and pharmacy experience, and have a competitive PCAT score, you will almost be guaranteed an interview. The point I am trying to make (as many other have already made) is not to fret too much about your GPA. You should strive to be as well rounded as possible.

GPA isn't everything. A high GPA doesn't make anyone more qualified to be a pharmacist. There is a variety of factors besides your grades which pharmacy schools consider.

GPA is very important in getting an interview, but at the same time you kind of need to know what classes people took and where they took them. You can meet all of the pre-reqs by taking mostly 200 level courses. Also, stating your GPA doesnt tell you much about your competition because so many other factors come into play. You can have a great GPA but if your Personal statement is a grammatical mess then you probably wont be taken seriously.

My best advice is to obviously do your best in school and when it comes time to applying, take your application and supplemental materials very serious. Give yourself as many selling points as possible.

~3.6
my nonscience courses are higher though =/