1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Your Input Please

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DrumandDrummer, Mar 14, 2002.

1. DrumandDrummer

DrumandDrummer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello All!
    I took the DAT last September and got a 20 academic, 20 science, and a 17 pat. I was a horrible undergrad. My undergrad gpa is so horrendous that I can't bare look at it without sadness completely consuming me. I have improved a lot since then. I am finishing up my masters in biology with a 3.73 gpa and am doing research in genetics, and soon to be published in a couple of papers. Although I have improved tremendously since undergrad, my cumulative gpa is still low. It is so hard to bring up a bad gpa, but I am trying. My question to all of you is - should I retake my dat and hope that I score better or should I stick with what I have and just hope that lady luck is on my side this coming admissions cycle? Any info would be much appreciated! :cool:

2. tjmemtp

tjmemtp Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Life rewards action. Apply. You have nothing to lose except the possible opportunity to have a good career, being your own boss and a great income.

3. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE
    7+ Year Member

I think that you should stick with your DAT scores as is. Those are some good scores! Don't stress about it too much. Also, I bet your GPA isn't as bad as you make it out to be. You got into Northridge for Grad school and I know they have a min gpa requirement. You look to be on the right track! The published papers definatly are a big plus!! IN addition, I bet you have some great letters of recs since you work so closely to proff's in the labs...
    You'll do fine..just let things happen

4. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

i wouldn't stress the pat, but if u think u can do just as well on all the other section and better on the PAT then I say retake it, otherwise just leave it as it is.
    if you look at U Penn's stats, their average on PAT is 17! so no biggie! You should be fine!
    just get really good letters and write an awsome personal statment!
    best of luck

5. Buckyball

Buckyball Play with my "Buckyballs"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got into 3 schools with a 16 on PAT (I know, I'm also sad when I think about it!). But, my other scores were in the 20's. So, your scores are good. Just play up your master's GPA and explain the undergrad marks as much as you can!

Good luck!

Bucky

6. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

Hey Bucky!

I got into Columbia U! maybe we'll be classmates =P haven't seen u respond for a long time!

7. negar

negar Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would apply!

8. DrumandDrummer

DrumandDrummer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you all for the replys. I think i am going to just stick with my DAT scores and apply the first day applications are allowed to be sent!
    Thanks!

9. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Drums,

You should definitely apply for 2003! Your situation sounds extremely similar to mine, but I bet you that my undergraduate GPA is much lower than yours!! From experience, you'll have plenty of good chances at schools. Especially if you apply early like you said you are going to, you'll increase your chances just that much more. If I would've applied earlier this year, I bet I get more interviews and acceptances! Good luck and I have faith in your numbers. :cool: