Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Your Majors effect on getting in

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Wall$treet, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hey, new here, read a ton of posts, sounds like there are ALOT of super smart peoples herewith high 30s on mcats and some 40s.. lots of IVY leaguers here.. crazy. Anyway, i just finished my finance degree at Arizona state. Anyone else from az here? I was gonna do law but changed my mind half way through to do med so then took all hte premed stuff and am almost done a bio degree as well but wont finish. took the april mcat and got 6V 11B 11P Q so i did august again, GPA is 3.98 and am waiting like alot of you. Was funny when i read old posts sounded like alot of 6s on verbal. I had beeen scoring 9s and 10s on all practices so i was shocked.. Anyway, i have never ever met another business person who is also doing med, do you think that helps me due to schools liking to make their classes diverse? i have met alot of pysch and history majors etc, but never a econ, or finance. Curious on your thoughts. lotta cool peple here, cool to read about all the info

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not sure it'll help exactly, but it definitely won't hurt.

4. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

lol - your post amuses me.
    welcome.
    as for the effect of your major - I dont know... I think the more important thing is how you come across on the interview.
    as a fellow business type, I'm actually worried about the stereotype that wallstreet types will face.
    if anything the more I think about it, the more I've come to believe that having a business background is a disadvantage.
    call me over sensitive but I feel as if bankers are type-cast as being cut throat, brusque...

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Welcome to SDN! :) Your major definitely won't hurt your chances, if anything you'll have a slightly better chance than a biology major. Best of luck!

6. Dr Wall $treet,

I am getting undergraduate business degree but am going into medicine. If anything, I think it helps because it gives you something unique and interesting to talk about in your essays and interviews. I think certain med schools worry about people with business backgrounds because they think those people are more interested in making money than helping people. Just make sure to convey your deep and sincere interest in medicine and you'll be fine.

7. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

This isn't backed up with any proof, but my hunch is that your choice of major can do one of 3 things:
    hurt you
    help you
    not affect you.

I dunno, just a hunch.

8. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

welcome to SDN!! Yeah, we are pretty smart.....well except for moleculo and a couple others....he, he, he.

9. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

My understanding is that your choice of major has a somewhat small significance overall. I think it may help the adcoms identify your interests, and understand you better, but ultimately I think it's not that significant.

10. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, my cousin wanted to go as a ChemE major. He didn't get in, and ended up going to B-School later, but he said several people from his class who were ChemE majors did get in. It's not extremely important what your major is, just that you do reasonably well in it. I'm sure they consider it as part of the admissions decision, but it's probably not a large topic of discussion.

-RA

11. Lanie

Lanie Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got a degree in marketing, spent a few years working and decided I wanted more from my job than just a paycheck. So here I am after completing the pre-reqs and the MCAT, applying to medical school. I have been told by several of my instructors and several physicians and nurses at the hospital I worked at that a business background is a definite plus for many medical schools. A lot of schools and medical professionals see that understanding business will allow future doctors to cope with the ever-changing economic, legal and political aspects of medicine. Of course, some schools have a different perspective, but there are quite a few schools that have a combined MD/MBA program for just that reason. It's nice to see there are a few other business majors out there!!!!

12. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

i'm an amateur trader, and i am doing this med thing too. i think financial experience is an asset, especially if you have really accomplished something entrepreneurial or have done a deal or something. it speaks to one's tenacity, diligence and confidence, and shows that you're more than just a tool who studies, pretends to help disadvantaged kids every now and then, and mops the floors in some lab.

13. applejuice1979

applejuice1979 Patiently Waiting Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that the major does not matter but what is in question is your motivation for a career in medicine after 4 years of undergrad. Also how you've shown that interest is important