Your Most Valuable Volunteer/Community Service Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have been yours, both in terms of personal growth or feeling you like you've really contributed, and for "getting in" (or having interviewers show real interest)??

I've been in a local ED for a while now and, while it started out great because a particular nurse sort of "took me under their wing" and had me doing a lot and seeing a lot, they left after a few months and I've felt a little useless ever since--change a few beds here and there, transport patients, run errands, etc. So, I'm looking at potentially switching it up and would like to look for something that would be a really good experience and--being honest here--stand out and make an impression with adcoms.

Members don't see this ad.

Personal- working with orphans and AIDS children in Mozambique

For Admissions- probably the clinical stuff- tutoring patients at a Children's hospital and working a Crohns and Colitis summer camp

In reality my research was what I think was the most appealing about me and showed diversity which they liked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at a summer camp for children with physical handicaps. Every interview I went on was very interested in that. Health camps can be fun because they end up being volunteer experiences, clinical experiences and leadership experiences. Not to mention that they're a heck of a lot of fun and you never feel useless.

If you want to contribute to pt. care rather than change beds, I would suggest becoming an EMT. Much more rewarding :)