SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

your motives behind choosing pharmacy as a career!!

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by exalto, Apr 23, 2007.

1. exalto

exalto

Mar 3, 2007
    hello everyone...

post "your motives behind choosing phamacy as your career" here....

i just wanna know what are the reasons could be for choosing pharmacy as a career...

Regards
    exalto

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :) 7+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I was fascinated in orgo when my professor was talking about thalidomide and how one isomer made the key difference. It made me think, the further along in school I got the more interested in pharmacy I became. Then in one week I had 3 random people ask me what I thought about pharmacy and I took it as a sign. I researched and liked the hours. I was pre-med before and realized I didn't want the hours of a physician so I looked into it further and decided pharmacy was right for me. I shadowed a few hospital pharmacists which mostly had clinical positions and I realized that's where I belonged. I'm now in my 3rd year (officially a 4PD after this week!) on rotations in a hospital and I've had daily affirmations that this is where I belong! I love what I do and am excited about my future career as a pharmacist!

4. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Motive sounds ominous, like people who go into it just for money or the hours or something, and actually have no interest in the science of drugs.

I chose pharmacy because I like receptors and the cascade of events they trigger. Purely selfish reasons, since I am using it for intellectual stimulation.

5. dumediat

dumediat 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Ohio
    My main motivation was my love of the sciences and need for a challenge. What really made me chose pharmacy specifically was working for CVS during my senior year of high school. My nature is generally to help people, so at work I always find myself going out of my way to get patients the information they want. Every other job I've had I just went around doing the bare minimum to get a paycheck, but I have to say I genuinely love my job. Even with all the doubts I've had in continuing through all the BS inherent in the pharmacy school system, I know it will pay off when I get my license and find a job I'll actually like. :D

6. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory 5+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Going to pharmacy school, for most people, is something we do because they are genuinely interested in the field; lord knows you better be to go through all of the schooling and studying! I don't think many of us would spend our time studying the structure activity relationships of anxiolytics, antidepressants, or other drugs if we weren't genuinely interested in what we do, I know I wouldn't!

7. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I love science. I was a biology/pre-med undergrad who found out that she loved chemistry, not just biology. There's lots of options in science and I researched careers constantly. Pharmacy was chosen because of the lifestyle and salary.

8. piyi

piyi 5+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I just love learning about physiology--its so incredibly fascinating!! I also enjoy learning about how medications work in the body, I would love to be able to explain that to people. I enjoy listening to the pharmacists counsel the patients like when they explain how it works and why they should take it with food, or why they should avoid this and that--it's so interesting.

9. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!! Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    working on my tan......
    Money!
    Money!
    Did I mention money?

And the obligatory "i love it and it is my calling, etc. crap"

Oh yeah, don't forget money!!

10. Omega168

Omega168 Stone pusher 2+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Oregon
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!

11. eeyore spice

eeyore spice 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    the fifth quadrant
    I'm only in it for the money and the drugs.

Seriously. I don't know how to explain it (god knows I didn't know how to explain it to the people who interviewed me for school...) but I find drugs fascinating. Biology and chemistry in general have always interested me. I dunno...