Your opinion is much appreciated....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpevball

CSPM Class of 2013! YEYAH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to apply September 1st (or whenever the opening day in Sept. is for applications to enroll Fall 2009 for the 8 schools still on the normal PodSchool schedule), and I have not yet taken the MCAT. I am scheduled to take the second half of OChem this Fall as my last class for my Bachelor's, and I plan to take the MCAT in January...... so my questions are as follows:

1) Should I take the MCAT at the beginning of september without the second half of Ochem and bank on scoring at least low-mid 20's?

2) Would schools grant "conditional acceptance" without MCAT scores? And if so, what does that ACTUALLY mean (i.e. is it a GUARANTEED place in the class based on MCAT score...like will they hold my place until they have my score? Or do I still have to rush to get the test taken and score submitted or I could lose out?)

3) Would these stats give me any probable chance at a conditional acceptance if I apply as early as possible ( Overall GPA 3.35, SCI: 3.12)? Or would you recommend taking the MCAT and possibly not rocking it the first time but just having a score (at least above 20-22) to apply/work with?

THANKS;)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take the MCAT when you are ready and try not to "bank on low to mid twenties" whether you've take second semester o chem or not.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....but should I even still apply in September? Would I get a conditional acceptance? Or would they not even interview me and say "take your MCAT first", thereby making the option of studying like mad this summer while visiting family in Europe the better (and crappier) and more prevalent choice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
1) have you already taken ochem I? i dont understand how you said you would take the mcat in september since this is the very beginning of the school year during ochem I. also dont 'bank on scoring in the low 20s' just do your best.
organic chemistry is not heavily emphasized on the mcat let alone ochem II. i've had a few friends take it w/o ochem II and did fine. i use examkrackers for studying the mcat and the organic book for it is much thinner than the rest and not hard to go through.

2) probably not. competition for podiatry schools is increasing and becoming more strict. and with your gpa they probably would not give a conditional acceptance especially w/o the mcat.

3) i interviewed in early march at barry when they still had open spaces (they filled up latter that month) and they waitlisted me with a 'conditional acceptance' if a spot opens because i didnt have my mcat in (my overall gpa is 3.6, 3.5 science and 3.7 non-science), which basically means 'see ya next year!' because i'm not counting on a space opening. i take the mcat may 27th.

my advice is to start studying NOW for the mcat. that is more than enough time to do well on it (and yes still allows plenty of time for a social life as well). i would definately take it after ochem I but before ochem II, so i would take it in december or january. i would apply before this as well. this is still pretty early and i think you would be fine for Fall 09 considering you do decent on the mcat and ochem lecture/lab. also it depends where you want to go, some schools are much tougher to get into than others.

Thanks... actually at my school o chem 2 is also taught Fall OR winter so I am going to take it fall no matter what (finishing up o chem 1 this spring). So you would recommend getting the Examkrackers books and going through them and try and take the MCAT in Sept? Are you recommending not applying without an MCAT score (being that schools won't look at me without it)?.... I was under the impression [based on friends that got interviews and "conditional acceptances" without taking the MCAT yet AND didn't have as great of a GPA as you have] that schools are getting more competitive, but not to the point that someone applying as early as Sept 1 would be most likely disgarded without an MCAT score if they aren't in the 3.5-4.0 GPA range...:confused:

I would take the MCAT in January and finish O-Chem II because even though there is not a ton of this material on the test it will be enough material to bring you a few points down on your biological section if you have a weak O-Chem background. Have you shadowed a podiatrist? If you have not I would highly recommend this, not only for your own personal benefit to know what specialty you are getting into, but also to be able to discuss your shadowing experiences in the interviews. I would also go ahead and apply as early as you can for a few reasons. The earlier the better, because classes don't fill up until late spring/early summer and some schools will either give you a conditional acceptance after the interview or tell you to wait until MCAT scores are received. So why not just go ahead and get your name in the pile of applications?

Thanks.... yeah I am going to apply ASAP in Sept. and take the test January. I do have the Examkracker books and will use Fall semester as my "take-ochem-II-review-all" semester so I can knock the MCAT out of the park come January. I am hoping to go to CSPM because of financial reasons, but I don't know if they do the "conditional acceptance" thing. Either way, I should be alright with my score from the MCAT coming in by the end of Jan....

Thanks.... yeah I am going to apply ASAP in Sept. and take the test January. I do have the Examkracker books and will use Fall semester as my "take-ochem-II-review-all" semester so I can knock the MCAT out of the park come January. I am hoping to go to CSPM because of financial reasons, but I don't know if they do the "conditional acceptance" thing. Either way, I should be alright with my score from the MCAT coming in by the end of Jan....

CPSM..... Hmmmm.... If I were you I would not go to CSPM... They are having a lot of financial trouble... If you apply there, they will take you as long as your MCAT is above 17. I really don't want to say too much, but if podiatry is something you like, definitely go for it, I will suggest to apply at Barry. Good luck!

BARRY? I heard from various people that it is not exactly "top-notch".... something like (from lowest to highest on scale of good schools): NYCPM, BARRY, CSPM, OCPM, SCHOLL(tied for 1st), TUSPM (tied for 1st), Des moines (tied for 1st)...an AZ is just too new to throw in the mix but is probably up there as well.... why would you recommend that I go for BARRY? Are my stats not good enough for the others? Or are you going to Barry and wanting to promote it? I am hoping for CSPM simply because I have family in the Bay Area(20 minutes from that campus) and my wife and children would be WAY better off with that kind of moral support than being stranded in the middle of Philly or outside Cleveland in an apartment/house for 4 years, etc...If I score in the 20's on the MCAT and apply as early as September, I think I could have a shot at at least one of the other schools heading up the list, right?....

I am hoping for CSPM simply because I have family in the Bay Area(20 minutes from that campus) and my wife and children would be WAY better off with that kind of moral support than being stranded in the middle of Philly or outside Cleveland in an apartment/house for 4 years, etc...If I score in the 20's on the MCAT and apply as early as September, I think I could have a shot at at least one of the other schools heading up the list, right?....

I would stay away from CSPM right now. They are having a bit of trouble. You might have a shot at those other schools providing you do well on your MCAT. Don't aim to score just enough to get admission though; do your best and try to rock the thing.

Thanks... I will try my best and rock it. So what is the real deal with CSPM? I've read about the Dean resigning (no details there, just heard about it), and the probation thing (not being on time with the progress report), but does anyone have the REAL low-down on the situation with the school? Or is everyone just going on rumor and hearsay b/c of those two factors? I talked to a 2nd year student there last month and he said that the school is fine academically, but it only lacking in the organization department (i.e. they send stuff to year-old addresses of yours although you have told them your new address while at school....you know, office paperwork-losing kind of problems)... I also talked to Dr. Tran from the school and he says everything is fine and to apply. Any factual evidence/details would be helpful....thanks!

I can understand where you're coming from wanting to apply to CSPM (being closer to family and all). What it comes down to is if you go and interview there and just feel that everything is a good fit for you and your family. It's what's best for you in the end. However, I have heard that a new (9th) school will be opening up for the 2009 entering class there in California, in Pamona I believe. You may want to look into it as well. Applying before you take the MCAT won't hurt, and your GPA is fine. Go for it, and best of luck as you finish up your undergrad and prepare for the MCAT this winter!

Thanks, Sefa... I will check it out as well as CSPM, AZ, OCPM, etc... good luck to you as well!

Sefa... how has BYU treated you? You going to Temple?