Your opinion on classes and raising gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angelonyxcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted here several times to ask opinions, and everyone has been very helpful. I know that alot of colleges look at your course loads, as well as the courses you are taking.

I'm finishing up my fourth year, and I just need to take biochem and physics 2. I've considered taking a business course to make me elegible for several more schools. Now, I could cram it all in this summer, and be done in the four years. However, I was thinking about staying another year in order to take these courses more slowly, as well as take a few other classes that would help raise my gpa. I've also heard the guy that teaches physics during the school year is much better at it, and his course is less difficult by far (physics is a little difficult for me).

If I stayed another year, I'd probably only be doing 12 credit hours a semester, and the business class would probably end up being a 100 or 200 level class. Does this look bad, even if I am working, volunteering, shadowing, as well? Do they look at the whole picture? Or, would it be best to just graduate this summer, and spend the rest of the time until I get in, working?

Blah, I need advice. Not sure which way to go, there. I would really like to raise my gpa up.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to mention (perhaps you're already aware of this) that graduating doesn't mean you have to work and can't take classes. Many of the people on here that got their degrees and then went back to finish classes took classes at community colleges, local 4-year institutions, or through distance education. There are plenty of options. I would look into what your options are locally and see whether there are classes that are offered that would fulfill these requirements.

I would like to mention (perhaps you're already aware of this) that graduating doesn't mean you have to work and can't take classes. Many of the people on here that got their degrees and then went back to finish classes took classes at community colleges, local 4-year institutions, or through distance education. There are plenty of options. I would look into what your options are locally and see whether there are classes that are offered that would fulfill these requirements.

The issue is that to take classes at a 4 year institute as a non-matriculated student or through the distance education department you get last pick for classes and if they fill up you tend to be out of luck.

If you have classes left to take that you definitely need for veterinary school(IE, biochem, physics 2) it might not be a bad option to defer graduation one semester so you can finish them up as a matriculated student.

Although I would definitely consider what is going to be the more cost effective option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it looks "bad" to take lower level courses senior year if they are unrelated to your major like your business class would be. I am in my last semester and still finishing up an intro-level history class that I need to graduate and it didn't seem to be a problem.

If you took another year, you would be able to take 8-10 classes, which would bring your GPA up more than taking 2-3 over the summer.

I guess a couple things to ask yourself would be:

-Would bringing up your GPA by taking an extra year of classes be more beneficial for your application than whatever else you would do with that time (getting more experience etc)?

-Would taking another year be an ok decision financially (obviously would cost more)?

-How much could you bring your GPA in a year? There are calculators you can use to see how much, say, 12 credits of straight A's would do for your GPA.

I think taking 12 credits isn't a problem IF you do really well. On the flip side if you only have 12 credits but don't do that well, the adcoms may question your ability to succeed under a heavy workload. You could also add in some more science classes like upper level bio classes to strengthen your app if you have room in your schedule.

I think that "I wanted another year to really strengthen my application and prepare myself for vet school" is a good reason to take five years to graduate. Of course that is just my opinion. It is something you would want to be prepared to answer in an interview though.

Relating to taking classes after graduating (in order to raise GPA) ...

I've spoken with a few admissions counselors and they seem to emphasize taking more advanced courses in the areas that you're hurting. Typically community colleges don't have upper-division "advanced" courses. Doesn't that mean that you have to do it at a university in order for it to really count?

They also look at how many you take at a time- even after graduating. Getting an A in something if that's all your taking isn't very impressive. They'd rather see a full load to show that you're ready for vet school.

So here's my question: is anyone taking a full load of upper-division courses at a university while employed full time??? If so...HOW?

One thing to consider is that if you are applying next fall, your grades for the year after application may not be factored into your application. In other words, if your hope is the class of 2014, depending on the school, your fall grades may be counted....and I am not sure if anyone counts the spring grades (as long as you don't crash & burn.)

So here's my question: is anyone taking a full load of upper-division courses at a university while employed full time??? If so...HOW?

I worked 22 hours on weekends and between 12 and 20 hours during the week. Was taking 13 credits last spring and 12 credits this past fall semester. Its doable, just need to accept that it leaves little time for a life.

I took all upper level courses 2/3 terms my junior year and 3/3 terms (not quarters...terms....I had to attend a school that doesn't like to be similar to other schools) my senior year when I was in undergrad and working FT. It wasn't easy, it wasn't fun, and my GPA for those terms was around a 3.8. Some of those terms were science only, as well, all with labs. I had very little sleep, next to no social life, and my SO (future hubby) was in another state. I would say access to the places I needed at the correct times was harder...as in shifting my work schedule around class schedule, and even then, managing to get to libraries was difficult. I would say that is a really important thing to consider...one of the advantages for me was that science TA's at my school had access to offices, labs, and libraries at night, even when they were normally closed down.

I am not sure what a full schedule is considered at most schools, due to the weird terms system. I worked 44-54 hours/wk at a vet clinic and took 12 credit hours. It wasn't fun, and my home was a disaster afterwards (and I gained weight from eating fast food.) I am debating between 1 yr master's programs and just taking over some of my early sciences at a local 4 year university.

Well, I still have biochem and physics 2 left.

How difficult is biochem? We have a summer session of it here, as well as a regular session. The regular session is with a difficult teacher, though the summer session would be crammed into 6 weeks. It's a tossup there. I've gotten C's in ochem so I'd really like to try to get a B at least in the biochem class. How many of you took an actual biochem lab? We don't really offer that here.

I think if I took summer class, then at least another semester of regualr classes, my gpa would benefit from it. I could take physics 2 fall semester. I didn't do so hot in physics one, back in the day when I didn't try so hard in classes because I had no direction, so if I really improved my grade in the second course, that would look pretty good.

I had a full tuition scholarship my first four years, so it would be feasible to stay another year or another semester. It would stink to have to pay, but if it would improve my odds, sure, I'd do it.

And haha, yeah, I've gained weight too from working, volunteering, plus school.

I took OSU's distance biochem crammed into 4 weeks with 2 other courses. I wouldn't do it again. A test per week, two lectures a day, plus double reading, plus double homework.

If you can get hold of the syllabus, it might help you judge how difficult it will be. I was fortunate that a lot of stuff from biochem had been covered at least somewhat is my other courses (I had very demanding chem, o chem, and upper level bio courses.) You might also talk to the prof and find out what the story is about summer courses. Obviously, don't say 'I want to know which is easier' but you could ask how the course compares to the regular semester on the premise that you want to make sure you will cover any necessary material while preparing for vet school. Physics 2 I can't really help you with...I took it quite a while ago and had an excellent prof and an excellent study group, so it was pretty easy for me...oh, and I took calc based, which was much easier for me to understand (and explain) than the non-calc based physics (I tutored both.)