Your opinion on this hypothetical scenario?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to sense how everyone feels towards such a scenario:

Person A, did horribly in undergrad (in comparison to other, far more competitive medical students) and had a gpa of around 2.92 or something around that mark. The person thought he or she wanted to do medicine but wasn't sure.

The next 4 years or so, the person took as many science/math/eligible psychology classes possible and managed to do extremely well (like 4.00 GPA). The person continued his hobbies of singing, and managed to perform a few times in a local opera/musical theater shows. The person has shadowed at least three specialized physicians for a long period and so has a "gist," of how a physician's daily life might be like. The person has also volunteered significantly at a HIV/AIDs clinic and has had significant patient interaction (talking to them and etc) and with their families.

Then let's say this person has experienced something tragic that was the final element to his desire to become a physician: someone died or he overcame something health related.

He chooses to take the MCATs and scores extremely well, scoring at around 38-40R (just making a hypothetical scenario here!). The person does a SMP just to increase his chances and has acquired an MPH degree at a respectable institution.

THe person's LORs and essays truly show the many colors of his personality and character--and of course his desire to pursue medicine.

Let's say this person applies in the medical school cycle 10 years after graduating with his subpar GPA. And let's say this person fell in love with a high tier medical school such as UCLA or ...I don't know Duke or Standford or something.

Will this person really not have the same chance as someone who just recently graduated a higly reputable and respectable private university (that is known not to inflate grades) with a 3.78 and a 34-36Q. He has interesting and significant hobbies, done a significant amount of volunteering, has had some clinical experience, and has great extracurriculars. His essays and LORs are also superb (like person A's).

I know comparing these two people (no matter how unrealistic they might be and although they are not directly comparable), will the person A, because of his low GPA not be considered competitive or eligible to be admitted to a top tier medical school?

I just wanted to know if a low GPA is death, even after many years of hard work, doing extremely well in post-bac classes, finding oneself (not to be cliche) through extremely interesting experiences and situations, to getting into a medical school like... Washington University in St. Louis?

Once again! I know the two people are not really directly comparable, but just as I said, would that low GPA of death really, in such a case, exempt person A from being admitted to a top medical school? Oh and! Not to offend anyone, I don't mean to compare medical schools. I know that all medical schools will at the end provide the same education and experience and that a physician from Harvard will not really looked upon differently than a physician from...the Caribbeans, as long as they are good in what their work, honest, and terrific with their patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Life experience absolutely does not make up for a decade-or-two-old bad GPA. See my mdapps and don't be the damned fool I was.

The only way to make a low-GPA older candidate competitive at an upper-tier school is to get the undergrad GPAs up above 3.0, as far above 3.0 as possible, and then kill the MCAT, and then probably also do an SMP. And then, the low-GPA older candidate still has to have impressive ECs and LORs and kill the interview. I would advise this low-GPA older candidate to be grateful for any acceptance he gets.