your opinions on my stats: you might want to skip if you dont like stat threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dookbloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on my record. im applying to schools right now, and i dont really know whether i have a good chance at state schools or maybe even some top schools. so here it goes: i went to duke. freshman year, i had a 2.35, i had an alcohol possession violation, and i was dismissed for academic dishonesty for a semester in a music class (it wasnt plagiarism: it was incorrect citations). anyway, after my semester off, i had a 3.5 soph year, a 3.4 jr year (3.0 first sem, 3.9 2nd sem), and a 3.8 sr year. i ended up with a 3.3 (3.65 since fresh yr) both sci and overall. im an econ major, chem minor. the first time i took the mcat, i got a 27. this time around i got a 35. im currently enrolled in a masters progam in which ive gotten all a's so far. any suggestions as to which schools i might have a better chance at? think i have a good shot? thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

oh by the way, i have a lot of research and volunteer experience (1 publication). extra-curriculars arent a huge problem. i dont think my rec letters are great however. decent, though. thanks again

i think your hardest task will be explaining the academic integrity violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Dukie, you can talk to Dr. Singer about prospective schools, but knowing her, she will probably highly recommend applying to all your state schools, a few regional schools, and then a couple schools with stats way above and way below yours. That said, I think youve shown a lot of resilience and I think adcoms will respect that, especially if you detail in your personal statement how you have evolved as a person. Good luck!

if you dont mind me asking, i understand being kicked out for cheating or plagiarism but how can they kick you out for incorrect citations. Thats bull****!!

it was kind of a nonsense thing, but i definitely did something wrong. i was a ***** about it. it was in a music class, so didnt take it seriously at all. anyway, i overslept and was cramming in the paper. i made up some of the page numbers without verifying whether they were accurate or not. the whole goal was to avoid plagiarizing (genius, i know). i had all of my sources down and stuff. so i guess incorrect isnt really the right term. anyway, my teacher was a first year grad student so he turned me in right away and the rest was downhill.

i guess the last thing i forgot to mention was that i am a tx resident. that being said, im getting the impression that gleevec is a tx resident from duke...if thats true, would you mind telling me what your stats were. im curious what it would take from duke to get into baylor. thanks. anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?

Originally posted by dookbloo
i guess the last thing i forgot to mention was that i am a tx resident. that being said, im getting the impression that gleevec is a tx resident from duke...if thats true, would you mind telling me what your stats were. im curious what it would take from duke to get into baylor. thanks. anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?

Our premed Dean's compiled stats have the avg. Duke acceptee to Baylor having a 3.6 and 33.

You have a lot of good in-state options through TMDSAS. I think it would be worth your while to apply to Baylor, the TMDSAS schools you like, and a couple of the schools that tend to accept Dukies en masse.

anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this type of stuff?

As your enemy, don't apply to UNC.

Originally posted by eminemunc
As your enemy, don't apply to UNC.

He's out of state, no reason to apply to UNC.

know of any dukies who ever went to unc. i know they arent huge on out of state, but id imagine they might like duke students if they like anyone from out of state. or am i off base here.

He knows what I mean.

Only UNC and Dook kids really understand the "hatred":)

most duke kids i know like unc more than duke...

know of any dukies who ever went to unc. i know they arent huge on out of state, but id imagine they might like duke students if they like anyone from out of state. or am i off base here.

Dr. Singer says that the "first rejection that most Duke students receive is from UNC" [this refers to Duke out of state students].

I wouldnt bother with UNC. Apply everywhere in TMDSAS, Baylor, Duke, Tulane and wherever else, Im sure yall get in.

Find out if there is a time limit for the academic dishonesty note on your transcript (they're usually about 2-5 years). Wait to apply after you're done and do something constructive in that time. Adcoms look for reasons to reject not to accept us and that note will make it too easy for them.

Best of luck.

it was kind of a nonsense thing, but i definitely did something wrong. i was a ***** about it. it was in a music class, so didnt take it seriously at all. anyway, i overslept and was cramming in the paper. i made up some of the page numbers without verifying whether they were accurate or not. the whole goal was to avoid plagiarizing (genius, i know). i had all of my sources down and stuff. so i guess incorrect isnt really the right term. anyway, my teacher was a first year grad student so he turned me in right away and the rest was downhill.

That is sooo odd. If I had a nickel for every time I made something up on a paper or exam...I might be able to afford the application process to med school. I mean, that's just BSing, which is what you go to college to learn to do. Especially if you're a semiotics major, like me.

[NB: I'm exaggerating, and I'm actually a science major...but still I'm glad I didn't go to Duke or some other school with a wierd-ass honor-code/witch-hunt system.]

i would say based on what I've seen that you're kind of wrong...

all the dook students that I know that are enrolled here are in state... there arent many, if any, dook students from out of state probably because the school doesnt want to 'waste' a seat on a dook student from out of state when they can accept an instate dook student and accept a very very qualified out of state student from up north... (you know the incoming class each year only has around 20 out of state students...)

summary is... follow gleevec's advice... dont apply to UNC or ECU,... you could look at WFU though...