Your opinions on my thoughts.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chadleez1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm a pre-med psych major, and I know without a doubt medicine is what I want. I'm not going into this profession expecting to roll in money for the rest of my life. I just want to practice medicine, pay off my loans, and live a "comfortable" life with my family. By comfortable, I DON'T mean lavishly, I just want to get that point across. Anyway, with that said, I get concerned when I come here, and other places, and here some discouraging things about medicine. Don't get me wrong; I'm not an overidealistic pre-med student with all these visions of saving the World. I don't expect everything to be rosy in this career. But am I going to be able to do the things I said above: pay off the loans, live comfortably, help support my family and invest for retirement? These are concerns I'm sure everyone has; I guess I'm probably looking for some reassurance, but honesty would probably be better!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll do fine. I know of nobody that has had trouble paying off loans. You can save comfortably for retirement if you plan for it early. You will live comfortably regardless of specialty. As to whether your family life will be what you want, that will depend somewhat on what specialty you enter, as some are more demanding than others. The money controllers in medicine are a pain in the a$#, but if you really want to practice medicine, I wouldn't let that bother you. The paperwork and justifications are annoying, but are scarcely remembered at the end of good day taking care of patients. Hire a good office manager and keep excellent documentation and all will be well. Advances in software will probably make things more manageable in the future. Good Luck.