Your Practice MCAT score vs Your AAMC MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpingHand

Where's my white coat?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I was wondering how people's practice scores have compared to the actual aamc scores they received. Were your practice scores a good approximation of how well you actually did? Also, how many months did you guys spend prepping for the MCAT?

I took my very first practice test and I got a 26. I have about 3 to 4 months before I take the actual test in May.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan Diag: 31
5 Kaplan full-lengths, in order: 29, 33, 33, 33, 33
Real Deal: 35

Hey guys,

I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I was wondering how people's practice scores have compared to the actual aamc scores they received. Were your practice scores a good approximation of how well you actually did? Also, how many months did you guys spend prepping for the MCAT?

I took my very first practice test and I got a 26. I have about 3 to 4 months before I take the actual test in May.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR diagnostic: 27
Other practice scores (AAMC and TPR by date): 28, 32, 28, 27, 31, 32, 36

Actual test day: 35S

You have plenty of time to bring that practice score up further (it's actually really good for a diagnostic). Just keep at it by reviewing the material you're weak on and doing lots of practice passages and stand alone questions!

Good luck.

My first AAMC full length practice test was a 21 i believe...this was after a month of studying. I focused more on the foundations and stopped sweating the details, and after another month of studying, i wrote the mcat.
Ended up with a 39 S.
So yeah, huge improvements are possible...but if your practice scores are stagnant, overhauling the way you're studying may be necessary.

Even though i made an 18 point jump, most of the improvements in my practice scores were towards the end.

EDIT: Oh yeah, i forgot. I strongly believe that if you're scoring badly in practice, continuing to do problems may just end up frustrating the crap out of you. Working through the material by truly understanding the foundation of everything before moving on seems to be a much better use of your time. Even though all the prep companies stand by the necessity of practice practice practice, there seem to be diminishing returns if you are not clear on the major concepts. And chances are that if you're scoring in the 20's, you really aren't clear on the foundation of the material.

30 on my TPR diagnostic. 31, 34 on my next two TPR practice tests. B/w 34-37 on AAMC 3R-8 so generally I've found the AAMC tests to be the best predictors of your actual test score.

although the aamc tests more closely resemble the actual test than probably any other practice test, your score might still be significantly different on the real test. I scored 29 on 3r, never scored greater than 36 on any of the practice test, and ended up with a 39 on the real thing.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 25

Since I thought (and righty so) that this score did not accurately reflect what I knew, I took AAMC #3 prior to studying, as my "official" self-diagnostic:

AAMC #3: 31

I then studied for a few months, and started taking AAMC exams one month before my exam date, in this order:

AAMC #4: 33
AAMC #5: 36
AAMC #6: 33
AAMC #7: 34
AAMC #8: 33
AAMC #9: 35
AAMC #10: 33

My last practice exam was 5 days before my exam date.

Real MCAT: 37R

I did not take any of the Kaplan full-lengths because of my bad experience with the diagnostic, and because the AAMC's are straight from the company that creates the MCAT.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 25

Since I thought (and righty so) that this score did not accurately reflect what I knew, I took AAMC #3 prior to studying, as my "official" self-diagnostic:

AAMC #3: 31

I then studied for a few months, and started taking AAMC exams one month before my exam date, in this order:

AAMC #4: 33
AAMC #5: 36
AAMC #6: 33
AAMC #7: 34
AAMC #8: 33
AAMC #9: 35
AAMC #10: 33

My last practice exam was 5 days before my exam date.

Real MCAT: 37R

I did not take any of the Kaplan full-lengths because of my bad experience with the diagnostic, and because the AAMC's are straight from the company that creates the MCAT.

When did you take your MCAT? Was it right after your sophomore year after taking the pre-req classes? Because a 31 is great for a diagnostic (1st test taking before doing any "official" MCAT studying).

OP you should check this thread out:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561455&page=2

It's the largest poll I've seen so far (on here or anywhere else) that asks people who their real MCAT score compared to their practice AAMC test scores.

As you can see, about half of the people get about the same score on the real MCAT as their average AAMC practice test scores.

I myself got about the same score on the real MCAT as my average practice AAMC score (i took all of them except CBT 9 and 10).

I took my diagnostic at the beginning of the spring semester of my junior year...after coming back from break.

Kaplan Diagnostic

14PS, 5VB, 10BS (29)

Kaplan Full Length (FL) 1
13PS, 8VB, 13BS (34)

Kaplan Full Length (FL) 2
14PS, 11VB, 15BS (40)

AAMC FL 8
14PS, 12VB, 14BS (40)

real deal: dunno we shall see

Kaplan Diagnostic

14PS, 5VB, 10BS (29)

Kaplan Full Length (FL) 1
13PS, 8VB, 13BS (34)

Kaplan Full Length (FL) 2
14PS, 11VB, 15BS (40)

AAMC FL 8
14PS, 12VB, 14BS (40)

real deal: dunno we shall see
Well, what did you get?

22 on kaplan diag, later average was around 38.5, aamc average was 35.8, and 33R on real deal =(