Your Primary Career Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Is Your Primary Area of Interest For Your Career in Psychology

• Teaching

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Research

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Clinical Practice

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably not necessary for this to be an actual poll but who doesn't love voting?

Of course I do realize that there is the potential to do all three at once. However, what I am interested in is your primary area of interest. What do you most look forward to about your psychology career?

I said clinical practice but I have developed an appreciation for research in the past six months or so. However, I do not think I would want to do it for several decades.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to do a combination.
Probably not necessary for this to be an actual poll but who doesn't love voting?

Of course I do realize that there is the potential to do all three at once. However, what I am interested in is your primary area of interest. What do you most look forward to about your psychology career?

I said clinical practice but I have developed an appreciation for research in the past six months or so. However, I do not think I would want to do it for several decades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked research since that is a certainty.

Teaching remains to be seen. I'd NEVER want to be at a teaching college since it would just frustrate the hell out of me to not even have the resources for research if I want to do it, but I could definitely see myself in the psychology department at a university. Clinical work only within the context of research...I'd probably enjoy the business side of running a practice, not so much seeing clients for hours upon hours each day.

Last edited:
yea. so needless to say, all.

Last edited:
Mine are equally between the three as well ._.

Haha, In a PERFECT world, I'd be working on a multidisciplinary team at a hospital working with depressed/anxious/eating disorder patients while doing research and some teaching.

I'm impressed you already know that much! :) I sincerely hope you get the chance. I didn't vote because I don't like to have to choose.. I enjoy all 3, but in order of personal enjoyment I would say clinical, teaching, research. I just got an internship where I will get to do all 3, in an integrated setting, across various populations (but with significant emphasis on the clinical, including health psych). Enjoy everyone.. hurdles and all, I think it's a wonderful career.

I am looking to do mostly business consulting (B2B, setting up multi-disc offices, etc). My clinical interests are mostly in Primary Care and outreach education. I'd also like to teach and mentor.

Definitely research and clinical work. Teaching would be nice, but isn't going to kill me if I don't do it. Looks like we need more poll choices :D

Clinical practice, primarily. I'd like to be affiliated with a hospital and have a private practice as well. Would love to teach a class or two as an adjunct, just to keep things interesting.:)

I am looking to do mostly business consulting (B2B, setting up multi-disc offices, etc). My clinical interests are mostly in Primary Care and outreach education. I'd also like to teach and mentor.

I must say it again, i think you would have loved I/O psychology. Do you ever have a little counterfactual thinking*?

*5pts to me for using a psychology term

Ideally a balanced combination of research and clinical practice in a medical center, so I guess none of the above on the poll.
Teaching = :barf:

(I'm so glad there is a smiley for vomiting!)

Ideally a balanced combination of research and clinical practice in a medical center, so I guess none of the above on the poll.
Teaching = :barf:

(I'm so glad there is a smiley for vomiting!)

I have mixed feelings about the idea of someday teaching. I think it could be a great experience, however, I have a rather erratic comfort level when it comes to public speaking. Some days I could get up in front of 70 people and have the time of my life, and others i will become deathly afraid to the point where i can hardly talk. I can't explain it and probably something that would need to be worked out before i could even think about teaching.

I would ideally love a combination of all three at some point in my life.

i saw this documentary on tequila once. they showed these tanks that guys swam in to mix the agave while it fermented. they said the swimmer's skin absorbed the ethanol.

sounds like a pretty good career.

My interest is definitely more clinically oriented. Though I won't object to applied research or program evaluation. Definitely want to work with a forensic population. Though I might try teaching at a community college or small college at some point.

Oh, clinical practice takes the lead. Ouch.

No, seriously, you researchers do good work.