Your psychology soundtrack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psybee

Psychology Grad Student!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all! in keeping with some of the other friendly, get to know you threads that have been up recently, I was wondering what music is currently making my fellow SDNers tick. I know with so much sitting at a computer, especially when entering data, cleaning it, coding, etc music helps turn a chore into something less chore-y. It also helps me regulate my mood -- need energy, throw on Le Tigre's "Decepticon" or Wolf Parades' "Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts". need to chill, how bout some Richard Hawley?

right now Sparks, especially "Angst in My Pants " (best album name ever) is rocking my world. Picture Devo with the Talking heads, plus the Cars.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm rockin' some Rilo Kiley, "Silver Lining", as we speak. :)

I have an extensive collection of 80's-early 90's alternative. (Back in those days we called it "new wave.") The more obscure the better. That's what we liked about it in high school--only me and 7 of my friends were listening to it at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love lots of different music, but with my stress level these days, I'm mainly sticking with jazz, blues, & folk. If I just had to pick one song that makes me tick right now, it'd be Eddie Vedder's "Guaranteed."

I usually have The Magnetic Fields on when I'm doing things like data entry or cleaning. I like mellow music like that (Little Yellow Perfect, Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple) for tasks that require less focus. Opera or slow Latin or Middle Eastern music when I'm doing writing.

i lovelove the magnetic fields. they can function as up tempo music (songs like "strange powers" "100,000 fireflies, and "born on a train"), or, because i've heard them so much, as much loved background sound. i think i've seen them almost every time the've come to NYC in the past 10 years.

okay, off goes Sparks, on goes their (well the Gothic Archies) soundtrack for the lemony snicket books. best magnetic fields album in years!

On my iPod my playlist for studying is all classical. When I am just writing or doing other work I usually listen to John Mayer and the like.

I'm not sure what it says about me that I don't have a clue who any of the artists are that are mentioned above...?

Mostly classic rock...esp Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Allman Brothers, etc.

Sadly, as a reflection of my stress levels, I'm in a regressed state...

Turtles, P. F. Sloan (if you remember him, you're too old -- just like me), Grass Roots, Gary Puckett, Buffy Ste Marie, Joni Mitchell, Pentangle...

That level of regression means I've already gotten through the Trashcan Sinatras, Milltown Brothers, Alison Moyet, Yaz, Big Country, Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, and Penetration stages...

Still -- some good music in there, if I'm brave enough to admit it...

You people have admirable taste in music. I'm jealous... the only music I listened to today was a Veggie Tales Soundtrack... I adore my nephew!

If you like to talk to tomatoes... if a squash can make you smile...

I listen to mostly popular music. I doubt I have anything in my MP3 player that wouldn't be familiar to most of you. One of my fave bands is Barenaked Ladies... another is Dispatch. Very relaxing and can always make me smile.

If I'm angry/stressed... I bust out a little Disturbed/Tool/Seether/STP, etc. If I need a pick me up, definitely pop princess stuff like Brit or N'Sync.

Shush, I don't want to hear it. It makes me happy and I can admit it without shame... mostly.

The new Black Keys album is awesome. If you like indie rock or DJ Danger mouse you'll love this album. Also, I love Rilo Kiley and if you want something along those veins, try Adele. Finally, my newest album on heavy rotation is the new elbow one, The Seldom Seen Kid.

To those classic rock buffs, I suggest The Band's Music From Big Pink, it is a great album.

Anyone else think that Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" is a fun psych soundtrack song? :laugh:

While I'm studying / researching / writing reports
Infected Mushroom
Tiesto
Si*Se
Ben Folds Five
The Roots
Classical music (mostly piano or guitar arrangements)

When I need to relax....but still be productive
Massive Attack
Brett Dennen
Matt Nathanson
"Once" Soundtrack
The Counting Crows

Members don't see this ad :)
At the moment, these songs are recurrent in my mp3-loops:

Francis Cabrel - L'encre de tes yeux
Michel Sardou - Les lacs du connemara
Renaud - Dés que le vent soufflera
Enrico Macias - Ne me quitte pas (the best version I've heard so far)
Mireille Mathieu - Ensemble

Last week it was Moby, Röyksopp, and Schpongle.

Guys, college is over, you can put down your pitchfork magazine and stop pretending to like hipster music. Don’t be afraid to listen to some billboard top 40. No one is going to judge you anymore.

Guys, college is over, you can put down your pitchfork magazine and stop pretending to like hipster music. Don’t be afraid to listen to some billboard top 40. No one is going to judge you anymore.

I agree with T4C. I had to look at the Billboard top 40 to see if it is as awful as it used to be. While I'll admit that it is promising to see Portishead amongst the top 10, it is disheartening to see them alongside Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis, Now27 and Lil Wayne.
I would rather listen to the sound of nails on chalkboard than most of the "popular" garbage that is called music nowadays.

I agree with T4C. I had to look at the Billboard top 40 to see if it is as awful as it used to be. While I'll admit that it is promising to see Portishead amongst the top 10, it is disheartening to see them alongside Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis, Now27 and Lil Wayne.
I would rather listen to the sound of nails on chalkboard than most of the "popular" garbage that is called music nowadays.

grandpa, is that you? :)

So is Third finally out?!! I need to go pick that up. :D

uuuuugh yuk top 40. I can pregame with some mindless drivel before I go out, but that's about all I can take of that.

psybee--yeah, love Stephen Merrit. I've never seen them live; I'm super jealous. I think I'm going to take a trip to NY just to see them next year.

grandpa, is that you? :)

"You young whippersnappers and your Dan Fogelberg...."
I believe that quote is from Baseketball, (an oscar caliber movie if I say so myself) but, you are missing my point parto. I have this argument with my wife all the time and she seems to miss my point too:confused: Maybe it's me, but Top 40 seems to be more what "they" want us to like and not what sounds genuinely good. Give me Kings of Leon or Peter Bjorn and John anyday over Kelly Clarkson or Rihanna:scared:

and yes T4C, after a 10 year hiatus new Portishead is finally here:)

To those classic rock buffs, I suggest The Band's Music From Big Pink, it is a great album.

Indeed it is. It's one of my favorites.

This year I've been listening to a lot of The Clash, The Kinks, Fountains of Wayne, The White Stripes and The Carps.

For what it's worth, I dislike Pitchfork, but not as much as I dislike most Top 40 Music. Is Daft Punk Top 40 these days? I like Daft Punk.

I was out driving today and heard that Journey had a new album out with a featured song called Never Walk Away! :) I couldn't wait to hear it. Unfortunately, after listening to the song, it did not at all meet my expectations of a powerful Journey song.:mad: There is nothing to make it a catchy tune. Then, I find out that Steve Perry is not even part of the band. They brought in some new guy. Clearly, without Steve Perry, they are not Journey.

It would take way too long to list everything, but here's what I've been listening to obsessively lately:

The National
Otis Redding
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Bright Eyes

What I am ALWAYS listening to:

Roxy Music
The Cure
The Smiths
Queen
Elvis
Nick Drake
Bowie
Joy Division

While I'm studying / researching / writing reports
Infected Mushroom
Tiesto
Si*Se
Ben Folds Five
The Roots
Classical music (mostly piano or guitar arrangements)

When I need to relax....but still be productive
Massive Attack
Brett Dennen
Matt Nathanson
"Once" Soundtrack
The Counting Crows

I like a lot of your choices, but Brett Dennen especially stood out to me. I love his music! And I haven't really talked with anyone else who's heard of him! So, finally! :)

Mariah Carey? Tim McGraw? Taylor Swift? Miley Cyrus? Jordin Sparks? Lil Mama? Ashlee Simpson? Alan Jackson? Carrie Underwood?

Yeah, I don't think so. Two words: mind numbing.

So, if we're all pretending, does that mean that NO ONE actually likes anything outside of top 40 or former top 40? A bit of a stretch, don't you think? ;)

I like a lot of your choices, but Brett Dennen especially stood out to me. I love his music! And I haven't really talked with anyone else who's heard of him! So, finally! :)

I hung out with him and Matt N. about a year and half ago when they were winding down their tour here in S. FL. I have a close mutual friend with one of them (though he couldn't make it down), whom originally turned me onto the music. Both are great guys and I'm glad they are starting to get better known. I was floored when I heard one of Brett's songs on a Hilton Hotel commercial earlier this year.

I hung out with him and Matt N. about a year and half ago when they were winding down their tour here in S. FL. I have a close mutual friend with one of them (though he couldn't make it down), whom originally turned me onto the music. Both are great guys and I'm glad they are starting to get better known. I was floored when I heard one of Brett's songs on a Hilton Hotel commercial earlier this year.

Wow! That's cool!

I absolutely LOVE "Ain't No Reason"!!! I heard it once on our local jazz station. (They "specialize" in jazz, but they also play folk, etc.) I had to come home & look it up. It's such a profound song.

It would take way too long to list everything, but here's what I've been listening to obsessively lately:

The National
Otis Redding
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Bright Eyes

What I am ALWAYS listening to:

Roxy Music
The Cure
The Smiths
Queen
Elvis
Nick Drake
Bowie
Joy Division

love it all, though can't work to it all. loving the national right now. still obsessing about sparks. may make "eaten by the monster of love" our first dance song when we get married. i wonder what the work environment of my new lab will be like. music? if so, what kind? or NPR? Hannity?

Trance or ambient right now. I can't work to music with words.

love it all, though can't work to it all. loving the national right now. still obsessing about sparks. may make "eaten by the monster of love" our first dance song when we get married. i wonder what the work environment of my new lab will be like. music? if so, what kind? or NPR? Hannity?

Ooooh I love The National! I heard they were fabulous at Coachella...

hmmm....

Blue Oyster Cult
38 Special
America
Journey
Gin Blossoms
Hootie & The Blowfish
Ramstein
Bocelli
Michael McDonald
Player
Ming and Ping
Elliot Smith
Flock of Seagulls
various Electronica
various Bluegrass
various Country
Seals and Croft

and the list goes on....Jammin' to Duran Duran as of now.

i've never heard of 90% of people/songs listed here.

I like neo-soul. for everything.

I'm absolutely obsessed with music. I like a large variety, but I tend to lean towards alternative, classic rock, indie, and sometimes some hip hop and jam bands.

Artists I always listen to:
311, Incubus, The Beatles, Tori Amos, Umphrey's McGee, Widespread Panic, The Shins, Scissor Sisters, Radiohead, 2pac, Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab For Cutie, Ben Harper, The Who, Electric Light Orchestra, Dave Matthews Band, The Flaming Lips, Outkast, Rage Against the Machine, Ween, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, Tool, The Roots, Beach Boys

Artists I've gotten into in the past year or so:
My Morning Jacket, Andrew Bird, Zion I, MGMT, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Minus the Bear, Justice, Wilco, Muse

....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the

same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t.....
:scared:
and there is just this big upsurge from a new style

coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so
:love:
far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes

-- or check this link::sleep:

http://www.futurelectrohouse.com/tracks

....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the

same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t.....
:scared:
and there is just this big upsurge from a new style

coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so
:love:
far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes

-- or check this link::sleep:

http://www.futurelectrohouse.com/tracks

I don't have itunes, so I can't follow the link. Would you mind listing a couple artists from this genre? I love listening to The Streets and Dizzee Rascal, but I'm not sure this is the same style you are talking about. Do most of the tracks have lyrics? I'm not a big fan of instrumentals or techno music.

KD....I've been wondering, is your icon a take-off from the 'blocks' in the puzzle game "Portal"? I recently tried it out, and I could swear your block (minus the hearts) looks like the blocks in that game.

hmmm....

Blue Oyster Cult
38 Special
America
Journey
Gin Blossoms
Hootie & The Blowfish
Ramstein
Bocelli
Michael McDonald
Player
Ming and Ping
Elliot Smith
Flock of Seagulls
various Electronica
various Bluegrass
various Country
Seals and Croft

and the list goes on....Jammin' to Duran Duran as of now.

anyone who puts ramstien and michael mcdonald on the same "best" list is a fascinating person! seen "yacht rock" by any chance?

KD....I've been wondering, is your icon a take-off from the 'blocks' in the puzzle game "Portal"? I recently tried it out, and I could swear your block (minus the hearts) looks like the blocks in that game.

Yes it is from Portal :). The block on my icon isn't quite a take-off of the "Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cubes" but is actually a block (complete with hearts) that appears later in the game, around level 16. It's called a Companion Cube. I won't say any more in case you decide to play the rest of the levels at some point.

Yacht Rock is simply badass.

Yes it is from Portal :). The block on my icon isn't quite a take-off of the "Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cubes" but is actually a block (complete with hearts) that appears later in the game, around level 16. It's called a Companion Cube. I won't say any more in case you decide to play the rest of the levels at some point.

Nice!

I think I'm around level 13 or so.....not that too far off. I only game an hour or two a week, so I definitely take awhile to play any game. I'm currently playing Team Fortress 2, Portal, and a bit of HL. At this pace, I should complete Portal and HL in another 2-3 years. :D

now it's magnetic fields (distortion) m. ward (transister radio) and joanna newsom (bunch live tracks). does anyone know why songs get in your head?

now it's magnetic fields (distortion) m. ward (transister radio) and joanna newsom (bunch live tracks). does anyone know why songs get in your head?

Interesting question . . . I know that I am never without a song in my head from an annoying commercial jingle to last song on the radio to childhood favorite to current favorite artist of the week.

Musically, I am excited to listen to the new Mates of State album and I am going to see them tonight!:D

Well I haven't heard of most of the people everyone's mentioned but then again, I'm not all that into music.

I'm into rock, some of my favorite artists: breaking benjamin (LOVE THEM), seether, my chemical romance, all american rejects. I also like some slower, "girly" artists like Vanessa Carlton, Dido and Jewel (her older stuff as I absolutely LOATHE country). Then there's the other stuff us whipper-snappers listen too like Black-Eyed Peas and Ludacris, but thats usually only when I'm going out.

I also enjoy some soundtracks to choice musicals, I think I know the "Wicked" soundtrack backwards, forwards and upside down.

my chemical romance

Love 'em! I most frequently listen to jazz, folk, blues, etc., but when I'm in the mood for something a little more energetic (or can stand to be a little more distracted), I love rock, alternative (90's!!), & R&B.

Lately, I've really been digging Flowbots' "Handlebars."

Interesting question . . . I know that I am never without a song in my head from an annoying commercial jingle to last song on the radio to childhood favorite to current favorite artist of the week.

Musically, I am excited to listen to the new Mates of State album and I am going to see them tonight!:D

okay this may be the least psych oriented post i have ever, er, posted, but anyone remember the jingle/song from the comercial for the ne=ow defunct nestle white chocolate with almonds bar? "creamy white, dreamy, white, nestle makes the very best..."

argh! that song totally gets stuck in my head, and lemme tell you, when you are walking around humming a nestle commercial people look at you mighty funny.

so maybe this is a psych post.

okay this may be the least psych oriented post i have ever, er, posted, but anyone remember the jingle/song from the comercial for the ne=ow defunct nestle white chocolate with almonds bar? "creamy white, dreamy, white, nestle makes the very best..."

argh! that song totally gets stuck in my head, and lemme tell you, when you are walking around humming a nestle commercial people look at you mighty funny.

so maybe this is a psych post.

i know what you mean. i still have Schoolhouse Rock songs in my head from way back in the day. if its not "Conjunction-junction, what's their function" its "I'm just a bill, yeah, only a bill, a bill sent on Capital Hill"...humming these songs is just as bad.

Like the FreeCreditReport.com commercials. The pirate one is my favorite. :laugh:

I really love those commercials! "Driving off the lot in a used subcompact"

The significance of music is fascinating. My sister is a kindergarten teacher and they have a special empirically based program called Total Learning which does a lot of art and music with the children. Apparently children who can hold a steady beat can learn to read faster. I often wonder about the evolutionary basis of rhythm and why that would be selected for. Does it have anything to do with universal grammar (if there is in fact such a thing, i've heard the arguments for both sides)? Just yesterday I saw my favorite subway station band jammin out with a boy who was not more than 3 years old bopping his body back and forth. Not only was this incredibly adorable, but also so interesting how he just seemed to instinctually move his body to the rhythm.