Your psychology soundtrack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really love those commercials! "Driving off the lot in a used subcompact"

The significance of music is fascinating. My sister is a kindergarten teacher and they have a special empirically based program called Total Learning which does a lot of art and music with the children. Apparently children who can hold a steady beat can learn to read faster. I often wonder about the evolutionary basis of rhythm and why that would be selected for. Does it have anything to do with universal grammar (if there is in fact such a thing, i've heard the arguments for both sides)? Just yesterday I saw my favorite subway station band jammin out with a boy who was not more than 3 years old bopping his body back and forth. Not only was this incredibly adorable, but also so interesting how he just seemed to instinctually move his body to the rhythm.

not that long ago i saw a little boy at my cafe, maybe two, sort of totter aaround touching stuff. he touched the back of a computer chair, which sort of has this ridged plastic spine connecting the seat to the back of the chair, kinda like the bendy part of a bendy straw, and it made a noise. well that was that. he became totally engrosed in makng music on the plastic ridge thing, bopping his head and humming. he still couldn't speak more than a work or two, and enjoys hugging the snapple fridge, but it was amazing to see how he was thinking and expressing himself though sound.

Members don't see this ad.

patti smith makes everything come together:thumbup:. so motivating, and yet familiar enough that i can read while i listen.

I'm a hardcore Smashing Pumpkins fan. Any other pumpkin heads out there?

Their new stuff is OK, but I do miss Darcy and James Iha. I just downloaded American Gothic the other day and I'm really enjoying it.

Other music that I enjoy includes Cafe del Mar which is lounge-type ambient music. I find it relaxing.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly classic rock...esp Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Allman Brothers, etc.

Very cool! Have you seen the live video of Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock? It's groovy!

there is nothing like some good House or Trance to help me through the day :)

I'm a hardcore Smashing Pumpkins fan. Any other pumpkin heads out there?

I was a teen in the 90s, &/so I definitely like the Pumpkins. "1979" (however predictable) is on my MySpace playlist right now. (When I'm not stressed or don't have an intense need to concentrate, I love returning to my "roots" & listening to grunge/alternative...Pearl Jam, Blind Melon, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc. I also love 90s hip-hop!)

My playlist is filled with many different artist in no particular order

Gnarls Barkley
Usher
The Beatles
Flyleaf
Taylor Swift
Nirvana
Coldplay
Linkin Park
The Rolling Stones
Heart
Patti Smith
12 Girl Band
Goo Goo Dolls
Duffy
No Doubt

Love The Smashing Pumpkins ever since Gish. Also listening to VHS or Beta, Interpol, and Bloc Party.

Does that song make anyone else think of a manic episode?

I thought that until I found out what it was about exactly (which is basically...how sad & twisted it is that innocent children grow up to act out corrupt roles).