Your Residency of choice's JUDGEMENT DAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHO ARE YOU, AND WHY DO YOU DESERVE TO GET THIS ANESTHESIA RESIDENCY?

I'm 44 years old.

Respected anesthesiologist.

I've heard it all.

I haven't seen it all, but I've seen most of it.

I've got the connections to powerful people in this biz....

....connections I don't need....connections I won't ever take advantage of.

I've made my career/money without help.

I'm convinced if you have enough GALL IN YOUR GUT it doesnt matter who you are or where you're from.

If you wanna anesthesia residency, yeah your scores are 205, 210...

YOUR SCORES ARE ONLY A PART OF YOUR PICTURE.

GOTTA INTERVIEW?

NAIL IT.

Can't emphasize how important FIRST IMPRESSIONS are.

DO YOU BELONG HERE? (wherever "here" is....

Walk to your interviews with SWAGGER.

Surprising how far SWAGGER will take you.

Members don't see this ad.

Define "swagger" please.

Certainly not as in ostentatious - -

Thanks for your post. The truth is, I was never the best at board exams or even the best student. When I applied to Anesthesia the first time last year and didn't get in, I didn't give up. Thankfully, I will be starting at the program of my dreams next year, and credit love for the field, HARD WORK, sincerity, and perseverance for it. Anything is possible. I haven't posted in a while, but when I read your post, i felt compelled to share. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
WHO ARE YOU, AND WHY DO YOU DESERVE TO GET THIS ANESTHESIA RESIDENCY?

I'm 44 years old.

Respected anesthesiologist.

I've heard it all.

I haven't seen it all, but I've seen most of it.

I've got the connections to powerful people in this biz....

....connections I don't need....connections I won't ever take advantage of.

I've made my career/money without help.

I'm convinced if you have enough GALL IN YOUR GUT it doesnt matter who you are or where you're from.

GOTTA INTERVIEW?

NAIL IT.

Can't emphasize how important FIRST IMPRESSIONS are.

DO YOU BELONG HERE? (wherever "here" is....

Walk to your interviews with SWAGGER.

Surprising how far SWAGGER will take you.

Interesting. "Swagger" is the exact word why I didn't choose a different, fancy pants residency.

"Swagger" may get you beyond the door and a good front-row seat at the show, but definitely drop the "swagger" once you start your program.

Swagger = arrogance = problem resident.

Swagger is frowned upon, at least during the first 3 years of your residency. If you have swagger, your 6-month evaluations will say things like "overconfident" and "skillset not at par with perception of own ability". Swagger will get you noticed... not necessarily in a good way.

Use the swagger to get you there. Drop it once you are. Trust me on this one. I've seen a lot of residents sabotage themselves with their swagger.

Swagger in a junior resident who doesn't yet know dick invariably demonstrates either (1) someone who is insecure about their ability and is overcompensating, or (2) someone who completely lacks insight and is difficult, if not impossible, to train. Most programs can work with (1); they fire (2).

-copro

Thanks for your post. The truth is, I was never the best at board exams or even the best student. When I applied to Anesthesia the first time last year and didn't get in, I didn't give up. Thankfully, I will be starting at the program of my dreams next year, and credit love for the field, HARD WORK, sincerity, and perseverance for it. Anything is possible. I haven't posted in a while, but when I read your post, i felt compelled to share. Thanks.

Thats because you are an ASS-FRAN.
Congrats again man!:)

"Swagger" may get you beyond the door and a good front-row seat at the show, but definitely drop the "swagger" once you start your program.

Swagger is frowned upon, at least during the first 3 years of your residency. If you have swagger, your 6-month evaluations will say things like "overconfident" and "skillset not at par with perception of own ability". Swagger will get you noticed... not necessarily in a good way.

Use the swagger to get you there. Drop it once you are. Trust me on this one. I've seen a lot of residents sabotage themselves with their swagger.

Swagger in a junior resident who doesn't yet know dick invariably demonstrates either (1) someone who is insecure about their ability and is overcompensating, or (2) someone who completely lacks insight and is difficult, if not impossible, to train. Most programs can work with (1); they fire (2).

-copro

Copro

I wish you had posted this earlier in the year. There are about 2 residents at my program who would have benefited significantly from this.

Newbies---READ the above by COPRO!! This will prevent you from receiving much disdain from your colleagues and attendings.

As someone said earlier, especially as a CA1, bow your head. Be certain, but not cocky/overconfident.

Don't take this thread for what it isnt.

Copro has defined what you should do after you get in, and, well, reach back for my BOW YOUR HEAD thread concerning residency which was inspired by ARCH...

I'm talking about getting in the door.

Got average board scores?

Maybe below average?

I'm basing my opinion on a cuppla chairmen's opinions I'm close with.

Theres more to getting into a residency than your board scores.

I'm interested in giving real life info to real life applicants based on conversations with chairmen of departments I'm close with.

Theres more to your application than your board score.

People skills count.

Confidence counts.

Hold your head high on your interview.

You don't haffta be arrogant to sell yourself on whatta great resident you'd be.......

...but you DO haffta hold your head HIGH.....no intimidation....you are YOU.

And YOU are right for (X) residency, YES?

Feel it.

Live it.

Sell yourself by being YOU.:thumbup:

-copro

Exactly.

Hence the impetus of the thread.

Don't take this thread for what it isnt.

Copro has defined what you should do after you get in, and, well, reach back for my BOW YOUR HEAD thread concerning residency which was inspired by ARCH...

I'm talking about getting in the door.

Got average board scores?

Maybe below average?

I'm basing my opinion on a cuppla chairmen's opinions I'm close with.

Theres more to getting into a residency than your board scores.

I'm interested in giving real life info to real life applicants based on conversations with chairmen of departments I'm close with.

Theres more to your application than your board score.

People skills count.

Confidence counts.

Hold your head high on your interview.

You don't haffta be arrogant to sell yourself on whatta great resident you'd be.......

...but you DO haffta hold your head HIGH.....no intimidation....you are YOU.

And YOU are right for (X) residency, YES?

Feel it.

Live it.

Sell yourself by being YOU.:thumbup:

Glad I read this when I did. Have an interview today at an "elite" program, and I'm just glad for the chance. Thanks for the pep talk...:thumbup:

Ever hear that phrase "...book-smart, but no common sense?" I have at least one in every class.

swagger
Function: noun
Date: 1725 1 a: an act or instance of swaggering b: arrogant or conceitedly self-assured behavior c: ostentatious display or bravado
2: a self-confident outlook : cockiness

Maybe we need a different word...

-copro