Your "system" of keeping track of notes/patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have tips on how to stay organized on a shift? I haven't found an efficient and organized way of keeping track of patients' notes, what's pending, dispo, who I charted on, etc..

Right now, i have a folded sheet of paper where i scribble notes on when in a patient room, then another sheet of paper where i jot down whats pending and check things off as they're done. This becomes very messy very quickly, and doesn't seem efficient to me.

What are your methods of staying organized? :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is no ubiquitous answer. It depends on the system you are in. If you are doing this paper type thing then you need to perhaps make an excel spreadsheet where you can just check some boxes.

personally, we use an EMR and I just keep track as I look at the board of what is pending for people. I dont make any handwritten notes at all.

Same as Ectopic for me - all EMR and I just use it to check the status of my patients. Also the nurses at my place are excellent support staff compared to what I have seen elsewhere and they help me remember if we are just waiting on urine or if everything is back.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have epic, but I still place patient stickers and a modified to-do list on the same piece of paper. I can look while I'm moving and remember how deep the weeds are, and I sure as hell forget names/ages and need a cheat peak. Crossing out a sticker when I get the dispo feels better than clicking a mouse, too.

Last edited:
Well, I think your major problem is that you are using multiple sheets of paper. You should have just one sheet of paper, front and back. I just slap a patient sticker on one side, jot down patient bed number next to it (so I don't look like an idiot trying to figure out where my patients are). Then, I write down a one line diagnosis right next to it.

Then, I just make my own checklist boxes when I really need to remember doing something later, i.e. "Call Neurology." I try being minimalistic and only writing stuff that I think I might forget or will get toasted for forgetting.

Anybody have tips on how to stay organized on a shift? I haven't found an efficient and organized way of keeping track of patients' notes, what's pending, dispo, who I charted on, etc..

Right now, i have a folded sheet of paper where i scribble notes on when in a patient room, then another sheet of paper where i jot down whats pending and check things off as they're done. This becomes very messy very quickly, and doesn't seem efficient to me.

What are your methods of staying organized? :)

I use the EMR. Here's the system I use 90% of the time.

Go see patient. Come back to desk. Write orders. Document history, physical, differential diagnosis, EKG interpretation, and interventions. Check the critical care box if applicable.

Repeat x 2-4 depending on how busy it is and how slow lab/x-ray are.

Go back to computer and look at x-rays and labs of patient #1. Order additional tests if necessary (rare). Disposition patient. No one leaves the department until my chart is done. But at this point, all I need to do is put in the labs and x-rays, diagnosis, scripts, and discharge instructions.

Pick up another patient.

Disposition a patient.

Pick up a patient.

Disposition a patient.

Then in my last hour, I disposition 3-5 patients.

I write nothing down except perhaps the PCP's name or perhaps a few key words to help me remember a complicated HPI.

The other 10% of the time occurs when the department gets either very busy and I don't have 2 minutes to do the initial documentation stuff. But I still don't let people leave without their chart being done. I make too many mistakes (overlooking labs, forget a script etc) if I don't do that.

I mean, think about it. There is a certain amount of work you must do during a shift. You must interview a certain number of patients, examine a certain number of patients, go back and reexamine and talk to a certain number of patients, interpret all their labs and x-rays and do the charts. You can do this stuff in any order you want. Why not do it in the most efficient manner for you whenever possible? Occasionally, EM being what it is, you get knocked out of your rhythm. But the more you can stay in your rhythm, the happier you are and the better care you deliver.

I rarely carry more than 7 patients at a time. By the time I've picked up seven SOMEONE is ready to be dispositioned. Lab and x-ray aren't that slow. If you prioritize your discharges/admissions, then you keep the department emptier. This makes it easier for you to remember all your patients and keep track of what's going on with them, but more importantly, it frees up your nurses, techs, and clerks to do what you want them to rather than deliverying diet cokes and warm blankets and talking to family over and over again while they're waiting for you to come back and talk to them about their studies. Free the nurses free yourself.

Also, you do get better at this as the years go on. You learn to see the end from the beginning. You also learn to order all your studies at once, and interpret them all at once. If you have to stop and interpret each individual study as it comes back, that's inefficient. Just wait til they're all back, then disposition the patient. Also, it helps if you get your consultants to use cell phones instead of pagers. Yes, sometimes a message has to be left, but you spend a lot less time waiting to talk to them.

Last edited: