Your Thoughts on High-Tier/Mid-Tier/Low-Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that one's own achievements are largely the result of one's own work, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think luck/fortunate circumstances don't play a part in your life.
I should add that the fact that luck plays a role doesn't discount one's achievements. I know I've been on the good side of it more than a few times. But I refuse to believe that one's achievements are SOLELY the result of one's actions.
I believe we all agree that getting into a specific school is in many ways a crapshoot.

However I still maintain that getting accepted to med school in general should not be thought of as "lucky."

To remind you, the post I replied to said "Every accredited medical school... is exceptionally competitive... you should consider yourself lucky... to attend any one of them."

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect that some very good schools have lower LizzyM scores because they limit themselves to a small subset of the total pool of applicants (e.g. in-state residents only).

UNC

Some schools might have a public perception of being better than their LizzyM score would suggest because they have an excellent basketball program or are otherwise well known to the general public.

Duke

That's a low blow LizzyM, lol. Everybody knows Duke > UNC.

I believe we all agree that getting into a specific school is in many ways a crapshoot.

However I still maintain that getting accepted to med school in general should not be thought of as "lucky."

To remind you, the post I replied to said "Every accredited medical school... is exceptionally competitive... you should consider yourself lucky... to attend any one of them."

Couldn't agree with you more on the second and third statements. I missed your quoted stuff (that's what I get for reading SDN on a phone) - my bad.

For what it's worth Marshall University (Edwards? SOM) just got put on probation.

For what it's worth Marshall University (Edwards? SOM) just got put on probation.

Yea, I kind of place Marshall and Meharry at the very bottom of bottom tiers (if we HAVE to look at schools on a tiered system).

The 'less than' sign actually points left, like this: <
haha!

Wow, good for you :clap:. Did they teach you that in public school?

Figures a tarhole would have to edit their post. Did you realize there's already a "<" character on the keyboard, or did you spend a heinous amount of time trying to figure out how to type a rotated "V'

Figures a tarhole would have to edit their post. Did you realize there's already a "<" character on the keyboard, or did you spend a heinous amount of time trying to figure out how to type a rotated "V'

What's your problem?

Does everyone from NC argue about schools this intensely?

Does everyone from NC argue about schools this intensely?
It revolves around basketball, so it's only at UNC and Duke. It's part of the culture down here. Unless you go to one of these schools or grew up a UNC or Duke fan, it's hard to understand what the big deal about college basketball is. Wake Forest basketball is occasionally relevant when they land a stud recruit like Chris Paul, and NC State fans are pretty into it too because they have a long standing basketball program, but they have been awful for so long that no one really cares about them anymore (though it looks like they may be picking it up in the upcoming years).

Duke and UNC are pretty intense. Wake tries to keep up.

Who is better in Basketball?

Someday, I'd like to reconfigure the med school rankings to incorporate the level to which the school acheived in NCAA men's b-ball.

Maybe LizzyM score minus point at which the school was eliminated from the NCAA tournament (64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 0). Schools not in it at all would loose 65 points. Buhbye Hopkins & Harvard. :smuggrin:

It revolves around basketball, so it's only at UNC and Duke. It's part of the culture down here. Unless you go to one of these schools or grew up a UNC or Duke fan, it's hard to understand what the big deal about college basketball is. Wake Forest basketball is occasionally relevant when they land a stud recruit like Chris Paul, and NC State fans are pretty into it too because they have a long standing basketball program, but they have been awful for so long that no one really cares about them anymore (though it looks like they may be picking it up in the upcoming years).

This is also relevant to the USC / Notre Dame football rivalry with the role of NC State being filled by UCLA :smuggrin:

I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have that and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and...I believe that they should...our education over here in the US should help the US or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future...for our children.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I don't know how we got to this point, but I definitely agree, and can honestly say that without some extra help (call it luck, whatever), I would not be going to the medical school I am. Hell, I wouldn't have even applied there if it hadn't been for one of my friends' influence.
What's your problem?

Relax. Duke-UNC rivalry is all in good fun, although it may seem hostile to outsiders. I'm actually the friend in bold, so I don't hate UNC...that much.

I won't even recognize this question.

UNC. Longer history, more national titles, recruits players who don't give purple nurples on the court (Singler) and step on opponents chests (Lattener) or break other players noses when the game is already over (Henderson).