Your Timeline for Paying Back Loans in a Dental Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dents2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My original pre-dental thread is here, but I wanted input from a current dental student's (or recent dental school graduate's) perspective. I set up a template below to give you guys a start. What's everyone's timeline for paying back loans?

Also, if you already have an excel worksheet about the timeline for paying back your loans, it would be great if you could share it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attend(ed) _________ dental school

1. $___K loan for dental school.
I will pay this back in __ years, by making _________as a _________.

2. $___K loan for house, buying a car, family etc

3. $___K loan for opening own practice

Members don't see this ad.

I attended UCLA.

I owe around 250-260K and within the past two years, have paid back about 140K already. I am on track to finish paying off the rest of my loans within a year and a half working as an associate.

I attended UCLA.

I owe around 250-260K and within the past two years, have paid back about 140K already. I am on track to finish paying off the rest of my loans within a year and a half working as an associate.

Any tips on how to manage your loan repayments? You seem to be doing better than most people at paying back their loans? How do you live within your means?

Attended USC 1997 with 180K in student loan
Paid 1/2 of it within the first 2 years as associate + private office.
Took a break paying minimum at 2% interest from 1999 to 2004.
Finished off in 2004 with a lump sump payment of 50K when my startup in NV took off.