**Your top 5 dental schools**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured you had no idea what you were talking about. It's like comparing apples to oranges kinda.

Are you a prospective DO?

Members don't see this ad.

I figured you had no idea what you were talking about. It's like comparing apples to oranges kinda.

::Sigh:: I didn't say I didnt know the difference, I just said it doesn't matter. You're still missing the point. Its fine though, I'm done arguing.

The main reason i made this thread was not to find some arbitrary ranking, more to see how people view schools differently. Especially if we take cost out of the factor. Being from the east coast almost all of my personal choices are on the east coast... etc.

Sisero, I didn't mean to get your thread hijacked. What you said above is pretty much all i was trying to do. Its always interesting to hear other people's thoughts on what they like (or dont like) about certain programs. Thats the value of the thread. I thought some might find it an interesting perspective towards LECOM and learn a little something about an unknown school.

Everyone enjoy their long weekend! Back to football!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i was hoping dru would help me choose a school, but he hasnt yet.

Maybe because Dru is pre-dental? You seem like you're over reacting quite a bit and as a result, hijacking a pretty decent thread.

Maybe because Dru is pre-dental? You seem like you're over reacting quite a bit and as a result, hijacking a pretty decent thread.

All that is necessary for stupidity to triumph is that good men do nothing.

1. Stony Brook:D
2. NYU
3. Columbia
4. Uconn
5. UMD

Because this thread needs some southern love, here we go:
1)UAB -reputable on all accounts.
2)LSU -who doesn't want to spend four years in New Orleans?
3)UF -Great clinical program and specialties.
4)VCU -CHEAP. and easy for oos.
5)UNC -well known for churning out great dentists, and research access.

Alphabetical order :)
-LSU
-MWU (AZ)
-OHSU
-UoP
-UW

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale > every other school combined

Go Bulldogs!

Reactions: 1 user
yale dental school would be too good to be true... oohh.

Psh! LSU ruined that list. :p

It recently moved up in my list because of some things I have learned about the program. I'll be in Lousiana this weekend and I'll see if putting LSU on the list is justified :D

Check out Jacques-Imo's while your in NO.....if u dont like the school atleast u will eat good lol. I'm in my 3rd year at LSU......not a whole lot to complain about. I think our biggest strong point is overall clinic time. Downside is you have to be able to handle working in a bulding that looks like a prison ha.

Check out Jacques-Imo's while your in NO.....if u dont like the school atleast u will eat good lol. I'm in my 3rd year at LSU......not a whole lot to complain about. I think our biggest strong point is overall clinic time. Downside is you have to be able to handle working in a bulding that looks like a prison ha.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check out Jacques. However, I did eat some good food. The overall clinic time is impressive. Haha...most schools are prisons anyways :D

1. Columbia!
2.UCSF (in-state tuition)
3. UPenn
4. UCLA (in-state tuition)
5. Harvard (last on my list because I don't think I can actually get in...)

1. Columbia!
2.UCSF (in-state tuition)
3. UPenn
4. UCLA (in-state tuition)
5. Harvard (last on my list because I don't think I can actually get in...)

Did you hear back from any of these schools? I have similar DAT scores as you and I applied all the ones that you listed besides UCLA, and I have not received interview invitation from any of them lol :(

The past few months there seems to be more and more, what dental school is better threads being posted. Some say money or specialization rates while others argue clinical or research opportunities, even if the school will be, well known on the other coast. So I thought this would be an interesting thread sampling SDN on our personal views of dental schools.

LIST your top 5 (five) dental schools in order and give a brief reason why you like that school. (assuming cost was 100% covered tuition and living expense, you can call it the Sisero Grant)

It could be for any reason at all clinical, research, name, specialization, weather, to get away from a crazy ex, to become a creepy stalker... Just try to be sincere and have fun with your descriptions.

1. Puerto Rico
2. Meharry
3. Howard
4. Lecom
5. Arizona

Honestly, at this stage, I am just hoping and praying that ANY dental school would send me an invite.

1. UT Houston
2. Baylor
3. UTHSCSA
4. Midwestern (AZ)
5. NYU

I'm only just starting but I already know which schools I want to apply to.

1. UT Houston
2. UT San Antonio
3. Baylor

Sorry but as a freshman price is all I see right now and here in Texas we've got good prices lol.

Pittsburgh - great city, low cost of living, great school. Tuition isn't so bad (relatively) and accepts a lot of OOS.

USC. Great city. Nice weather. A lot of jiujitsu academy.

Did you hear back from any of these schools? I have similar DAT scores as you and I applied all the ones that you listed besides UCLA, and I have not received interview invitation from any of them lol :(

Oops sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm applying next cycle. However, that's a little disheartening to hear. Now I'm kind of scared that I won't get in to any of my top five choices... :eek: If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

I'm still waiting to hear what the differences are between DO and MD.

I am not sure why this question is on here, but the answer is pretty simple.. The primary difference is MCAT score and GPA averages for admittance; MD programs average significantly higher in both categories. It used to be that DO programs took a "wholistic" persepective of patients and treated the "whole person" vs treating individual symptoms of organ systems.. idk. I have read that this difference in approach is becomming more and more blurred between MD and DO to where there is no real difference except admission scores.

And if you don't think this matters, then what is the purpose of an admittance test in the first place??? The truth is, it does matter. It demonstrates both your capacity to learn and memorize trivial information and to a lesser extent, your natural ability to think analytically. My brother is a first year at Duke med. They basically squeeze 2 years of basic medical science course work into the first year to open up the 3rd year for research, externships, etc. Without the high admission standards, either students would fail the course work in the first year, or the school would have to lower its standards to accomodate students who cannot keep up. It is true, DO docs are licensed and can apply for the same residencies and potentially do any surgery an MD can do. But these DO students have to take the same USMLE and compete against MD students for residency.. so if they do score a surgery residency, they earned it and are qualified. In fact, they are often at a political disadvantage so it says even more when these students get those spots. Statistics just show that DO docs end up in primary care.. whether this is because their USMLE scores sucked or because they always wanted to be a general doc.. I will let you decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) UF
2) GRU
3) VCU
4) Louisville
5) Indiana

I'll add more to this tomorrow but:

1. Columbia
2. UAB
3. Midwestern
4. Louisville
5. Nova

(Honorable Mention to Ohio State, would be #5 but their current clinic is too old, once they finish renovations will definitely be top 5).

1. UW
2. MWU-IL
3. UNC
4. Colorado
5. UOP

Last edited:
For those who listed Midwestern & MWU-AZ specifically, are both their IL and AZ programs on a similar level?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. UoP
2. UCSF
3. UPenn
4. Michigan
5. UAB

1. Cheapest accredited school I get into under 450k
2. Next cheapest school I get into
3. Next cheapest school I get into
4. Next cheapest school I get into
5. Next cheapest school I get into

Reactions: 4 users