Your view on pharmacological research on mammals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to make this thread because I have seen too many protesters that claim how these scientists are torturing animals on a daily basis. In my view I feel that if they had some inductive reasoning they would realize that this research is fundamental for advances in medicine. Some Stanford students protested by chaining themselves up in front of the dean of Stanfords office because they found out that Stanford funds a sizeable amount to a near by company that does this kind of research on a variety of animals including primates. Do you believe this is a pragmatic way to deal with your beliefs on what you considered torture? Or do you believe that pharmacological research on all mammals including primates is completely logical from a scientific view?

Members don't see this ad.

It is torture. It also gets preliminary results that lead to approval of human testing/study. Everybody is right.

Their method of getting attention is ours and the media's fault. People don't listen to civil, normal conversations for some reason. We only get news about the most extreme actions. That's why most conservation/rights groups get ignored while PETA is always in the news.

I think it is important to make things as painless as possible for animals, but imho I rather have a hundred monkeys die than an innocent human. I just value human life a lot more then animals, but I also don't think its fair on animals to just treat them like trash. In a world bent on making profit and cutting costs, I realize many research companies will try and avoid providing painkillers and will often be too eager to test on animals instead of doing them extensively in vitro first. In ideal situation where animals are used as the last testing vessel and provided plenty of medications to ease any pain, I would have no problem. However, I know that isn't always the case, so even though I don't agree with the ideals of PETA, I do think they have some points.

In most cases, it is a necessary evil.

However, I've seen footage from the testing of Nomex suits (flame/burn protection) where they blow-torched a live pig as the control. Then they outfitted the second with the suit and all was well. It was disgusting and extremely unnecessary. The effects of a 1300C flame on open flesh is intuitive.

In these instances, I applaud the efforts of PETA.