Your ways of improving focus and concentration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raigon

This is an emergency.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that every time I take a verbal practice test, my mind usually wanders. And to answer if I read EK Verbal Strategies, YES, i DO take 5 second breaks before each and my mind still wanders.

So what do I do? Any strategies of improving focus?

Cuz sad thing is - whenever I read a passage, when I look at the question, I completely forgot what the passage was talking about and need to go back, even though I formed a main idea, I forgot the details.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe everyone needs to find their own way to stay focused. You could try spending a little more time writing down your main idea. That way it's written down so you won't forget and you can use it to tackle most verbal problems.

I find that every time I take a verbal practice test, my mind usually wanders. And to answer if I read EK Verbal Strategies, YES, i DO take 5 second breaks before each and my mind still wanders.

So what do I do? Any strategies of improving focus?

Cuz sad thing is - whenever I read a passage, when I look at the question, I completely forgot what the passage was talking about and need to go back, even though I formed a main idea, I forgot the details.

sounds like your having some anxiety about the verbal section during reading, I have it too, verbal is EXTREMELY dependent on your mood when you are taking it, you can't let your thoughts wander around, because if you do you are putting "half-assed" effort into the verbal section, I suggest just read some articles or magazines and focus on not trying to reread every line you go over (thats the trouble I have) and also write a main idea for the practice verbal passages you read :thumbup: that should help, and just remember verbal isn't anything you can't handle, don't stress about it, have a different outlook on it, MCAT verbal is not hard to comprehend its child's play compared to say o well organic, just believe in your abilities (man I sound cheesy) :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree, although I was skeptical at first, that your mood really does affect your VR performance. For test day, I'm going to be drinking either that 5hr energy drink or my usual Monster can as that's what I usually do before my practice verbal and that short "high" is enough to get through most of this section.

*by high I mean increased motivation and focus

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I think I'll try meditation, see if that'll work.

I found something really odd :

When I'm under timed conditions, I feel like I'm re-reading everything, cuz I'm so tense and nervous and nothing is being absorbed into my brain.

I did an experiment in which I did NOT time myself to do verbal - I got an 11, but took me a little more than an hour to finish the test, but I got more right that way. lol

So I should ask if there's any way to trick myself into thinking I'm not being timed, but I actually am.