1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

you're accepted... a few days before classes start.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mdurfa, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mdurfa

mdurfa Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

how exactly does this work? i know it happens.. but how is one expected to pick up and find a place to live in a matter of days? would you take the offer.. or is that too little too late?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lsumedgirl

lsumedgirl Livin' the dream!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take whatever they offer you. If they say "Show up tomorrow," ask them, "What time?" I know it's easier said than done, but everything will fall into place.

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The only nightmare scenario I could visualize is being offered a last-minute waitlist spot your dream school which starts a month after your distant second choice, which already started.

What then? Do you swallow a semester's tuition and arrange for private financing?

That's what makes me go "hmmmm..." A last minute flight and living out of a suitcase for a few weeks I could handle.

5. Falco2525

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you cant be offered a spot once you matriculate somewhere

6. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they wont let you. so dont worry you wont be tempted. heh. i know what you are thinking..UC San fran eh hehe. dont worry you will be accepted there outright.

7. AtreyuRocks

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    i know a couple friends who have done it.

1) 2 weeks before classes would begin if had been accepted. awoken from nap by cell phone. "congrats you've been accepted to X". goes back to sleep. awakes hours later, did that really happen? haha, yes he got in but was scared to look like an idiot calling the school to see if he was truly accepted. got over that, called, flew to the other coast within a couple days just in time for classes.

2) accepted on the other coast, only option/acceptance. moves a month before classes start to get situated with new living arrangements etc. two weeks later, receives call from home-state med school offering acceptance. picks up, returns home to family, friends, and attends dream school.

hehe. in these cases, when the 2nd option is much better than your original ie: no school or lower ranked more expensive option, you will gladly take the late acceptance. have you ever heard of a med school not filling all of their spots? someone has to take it!!

8. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, if they call you 2 days before classes start, you decide immediately and pack your stuff and go. Don't worry - it is very uncommon. It only happens when a person drops out last minute, e.g. from severe illness, like cancer. I know someone who had to drop out of residency for medical reasons and then reapply for another program when she was better.

9. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At some schools, extremely late waitlist acceptances are only granted to applicants who already live in the vicinity of the school. This happened in my matriculating class at VCU (two people literally got in during roll call on day one - they were waiting in the foyer of the auditorium in case somebody didn't show up, thus forfeiting his/her seat). It also happened to a friend's brother at UTHSA-SA. He was high on the waitlist, lived in San Antonio, went to roll call on day one and was admitted when someone failed to show.

That said, during the first week of class someone who matriculated in my class got off the waitlist at her top choice school in NY (her home state). I don't know the details, but she dropped out and returned to the Empire State.

10. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I get a call the day before classes start (or the day of classes) at USF/FSU and they say "Do you still want to be a doctor? You have to be here by tomorrow (or in the next hour and a half)!", you bet I'd get in my car and drive like a bat out of hell to live in a hotel for a week (or live with a friend) while we sorted out an apartment. Do you want to be a doctor or not? :eek: :D My answer would be...

[​IMG]

11. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So if your high on the wait list, you could show up the first day and bet it on the roll of the dice?

I can see it now. SDNers everywhere will be standing in the foyer on the first day of med school hoping for a no-show. :smuggrin:

12. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In theory, yes, although it's a rare occurence. Although two got in my year, apparently nobody had been accepted "off the foyer" for quite some time before that.

I recall at UTHSA-SA that the waitlist was gradually trimmed based on geography as classes approached. First they'd eliminate the OOSers, then the people from far flung regions of Texas, and eventually you'd have to come from the immediate vicinity to still be in contention.

The local news crews should be there to broadcast the tears of unfathomable sadness.

13. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Would it be mean to post this tidbit in the Texas waitlist forum? :idea:

14. DoctorPLASTIC

DoctorPLASTIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

yes.:thumbdown:

15. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a friend that got accepted about a week before classes started. She was about to matriculate into NYCOM when she got a call from NYU. Luckily for her, she is from NY anyway so she was able to commute until she got an apartment closer to campus set up.

16. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a friend who was accepted to Baylor just before classes started there. I think she had an apartment rented and everything at her second choice. She broke her rent and practically sprinted to Houston :laugh:

17. NYyanx28

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Going from NYCOM to NYU... talk about movin' on up.

18. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just goes to show you how much of a crapshoot htis whole thing is. She was waitlisted at Einstein, NYU (ultimately accepted at NYU), and I think one other school, but rejected from all the SUNY schools without even an interview. So you never know what the schools are looking for.

19. rich4k

rich4k Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My friend in Orange County had a trailer packed to go to Michigan the next day when he got a call from UCLA a week before orientation.
    He lost a month's rent, broke his lease in Michigan and commuted about an hour to UCLA for a week before he found an apartment.

20. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My brother had this happen at a dental school. He lived in state (only applied to that one school) but still had a difficult decision to make. His wife had a contract at a local grade school that she had to break so they could move and he had just started a business in construction with his cousin. They gave him a day to decide and basically said if he didn't accept, he better not think about applying again. He accepted of course and is now in practice.

21. nka1985

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't care what I'm doing when they call, or how much debt I have to go into to get there...If I get an acceptance this year, Im there, no matter what. No way I'll pass on a chance to pursue my dreams just because it's inconvenient to drop everything.

22. future_dr_house

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you did that, I bet there'd be a few tonya harding incidents to make sure kids don't show up to a school

When essays don't help and prayers aren't answered, it's time to bring out the bats. ;)

23. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    when you matriculate / start orientation at 1 school, you have to withdraw all other applications you have under consideration. wonder how they know if you do...

24. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    (According to legend; I don't know the details) there's a current MS4 here who got called while he was driving on his way to a different school like 2 days before classes. He turned around and headed to Durham, and in the first day of orientation raised his hand and asked if anyone was still looking for a roommate. Apparently his nickname was/is "caboose".

25. cubbbie

cubbbie Member
    5+ Year Member

Wait, so you ARE allowed to do this? I thought once you matriculate you had to pull off the waitlists. Is this why some places have an early start (I'm looking at you, Case)? It sucks because my s.o. was waitlisted at an NY school and he's missing his shot to go there if he chooses Case.

26. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

HAHA. It would be a throw down Texas-ninja style. Complete with black cowboy boots and belt-buckle ninja stars shaped like the Lone Star State!:laugh:

*crouching tiger, hidden pre-med*