You're in at your top choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EncycBrown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...you know where you're headed next year...

...you aren't even considering other schools...

...why aren't you withdrawing your remaining apps?

If there isn't a chance you'll consider attending a school, do us all (and the schools) a favor and withdraw your app.

Or is there a stigma in withdrawing post-interview / pre-decision that I don't know about?

Members don't see this ad.

EncycBrown said:

If there isn't a chance you'll consider attending a school, do us all (and the schools) a favor and withdraw your app.

Or is there a stigma in withdrawing post-interview / pre-decision that I don't know about?

And this goes to Mateodaspy, Runmimi, CarleneM, twicetenturns, EpointH and Creativewriter. All six of you take note!

I withdraw nothing until I got something in writing and my lawyer and I look for loopholes :laugh: Just kidding. I have no lawyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
EncycBrown said:

WOW -- way to start your SDN legacy. It's called waiting for Fin aid packages. Someone may want to go to Columbia but get a hefty chunk of change from Cornell making the decision a little more clear cut. Don't be bitter.

MedicineBird said:
WOW -- way to start your SDN legacy. It's called waiting for Fin aid packages. Someone may want to go to Columbia but get a hefty chunk of change from Cornell making the decision a little more clear cut. Don't be bitter.

Exactly. Even for those of us who think we know where we're going, financial aid packages are super important. They can totally change everything.

GuyLaroche said:
And this goes to Mateodaspy, Runmimi, CarleneM, twicetenturns, EpointH and Creativewriter. All six of you take note!

:laugh: :laugh:

just curious, does having multiple options mean that the schools will be more generous in their fin aide to try and attract you? Or is fin aid from schools blind to that sort of stuff? Thanks!

this must be the 10th or 12th thread about this that i've seen in the past 3 months. what the hell? i don't recall seeing crap like this so often during previous years.

superdevil said:
this must be the 10th or 12th thread about this that i've seen in the past 3 months. what the hell? i don't recall seeing crap like this so often during previous years.

and on every single thread, we post the same exact reasons why we are holding onto multiple acceptances....

Haybrant said:
just curious, does having multiple options mean that the schools will be more generous in their fin aide to try and attract you? Or is fin aid from schools blind to that sort of stuff? Thanks!
i've always heard that most schools are willing to "play ball" if you've got a good offer from school A that may preclude you from going to school B. many schools will negotiate, so i'd definitely try this. what's the worst they could do? say "no"? go for it! :thumbup:

Haybrant said:

I think so. An admissions director told me that they can see where we've been accepted after March 15th and the committee meets shortly thereafter to decide on scholarships. I'm assuming the are going to give the scholarships to the ppl who've been accepted to other schools, but whom they REALLY want.

superdevil said:
i've always heard that most schools are willing to "play ball" if you've got a good offer from school A that may preclude you from going to school B. many schools will negotiate, so i'd definitely try this. what's the worst they could do? say "no"? go for it! :thumbup:

I'm defintely doing this...I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

MadameLULU said:
I'm defintely doing this...I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.
me too. let me know if you figure out the best way! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
EncycBrown:

There will come a day when even the super-human, god-like ones will one have merely one acceptance just like us mortals.

Repeat after me:
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15
May 15

tinkerbelle said:
Exactly. Even for those of us who think we know where we're going, financial aid packages are super important. They can totally change everything.

If you would not go there even if they paid you, maybe it is time to withdraw, yes?

trinitrotoluene said:
If you would not go there even if they paid you, maybe it is time to withdraw, yes?

agreed

EncycBrown said:

Asked and answered -but I LOVE your screen name

MadameLULU said:
I think so. An admissions director told me that they can see where we've been accepted after March 15th and the committee meets shortly thereafter to decide on scholarships. I'm assuming the are going to give the scholarships to the ppl who've been accepted to other schools, but whom they REALLY want.

ALL directors can see where applicants have (and therefore have not) been admitted after 3/15? I thought it was 5/15?

MadameLULU said:

you're talking scholarships but im curious about the impact on financial aid packages; does that include scholarships? Is this only a merit based thing?

trinitrotoluene said:

Perhaps. But also keep in mind, that these schools may still give you an awesome financial aid package. And even if you really don't see yourself going there, you *could* use this financial aid package to convince other schools to give you more money. (School X gave me this much... but I realllllly love your school. Do you think you could match this package? Pleeeease?)

Haybrant said:
you're talking scholarships but im curious about the impact on financial aid packages; does that include scholarships? Is this only a merit based thing?

At a lot of schools the adcoms awards scholarships that are independent of fin. aid. That's what I was referring to in my original post.

trinitrotoluene said:

I am withdrawing from three schools next week so that I will only be holding two and will be deciding between those on the basis on financial aid. But many people are going to keep the seats they have earned for longer so that they have the maximum amount of time to make the right decision. I don't think it signifies greed or pomposity, but rather, that we have worked a long time to get to the position of having a choice and want to make sure that we don't hastily make the wrong decision... when doing so could impact four years of happiness and a lifetime of financial investment!!!!

Once I've gotten in, I never pull out...er...withdraw until the last possible moment. But I like to live dangerously. And I like silly double entendres.

liverotcod said:
Once I've gotten in, I never pull out...er...withdraw until the last possible moment. But I like to live dangerously. And I like silly double entendres.

You are too silly!
Why did you change your avatar?? I liked the nucleosome

liverotcod said:
Once I've gotten in, I never pull out...er...withdraw until the last possible moment. But I like to live dangerously.
damn straight! :laugh: :laugh: oh, shame on us...

MadameLULU said:
You are too silly!
Why did you change your avatar?? I liked the nucleosome
At the moment, I'm giving props to virilep for perhaps the cleverest avatar of all time. Then I've got one waiting in the wings. Aren't avatars fun? I can't believe I went a year on SDN with one of the generic ones!

Another thing I love is hijacking redundant threads, once the OP's question has been adequately answered.

liverotcod said:
:clap: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: Too good!

If you get an acceptance in October, you have about eight months to figure it out!

Personally, I think fin aid and scholarship info shoud be due on April 1, and the May 15 date moved up to April 22. Waitlisted students shouldn't be forced to pay over $1000 to reapply through AMCAS when they could get an acceptance letter this year if med schools would pick up the pace.

trinitrotoluene said:
If you get an acceptance in October, you have about eight months to figure it out!

Personally, I think fin aid and scholarship info shoud be due on April 1, and the May 15 date moved up to April 22. Waitlisted students shouldn't be forced to pay over $1000 to reapply through AMCAS when they could get an acceptance letter this year if med schools would pick up the pace.

The pace has nothing to do with whether waitlisted students get a spot. Whether it happens in August or in April, if there is going to be room, there is going to be room. It sucks if you submit AMCAS again, but hey, you have to choose what to be upset about in life.

criminallyinane said:
The pace has nothing to do with whether waitlisted students get a spot. Whether it happens in August or in April, if there is going to be room, there is going to be room. It sucks if you submit AMCAS again, but hey, you have to choose what to be upset about in life.

You know, I wonder how much of this position is due to already securing an acceptance at some place. I find people sing different tunes when the music in question is not written in their key.

PS: I like how my Harvard rejection has turned me into an advocate for the down-trodden.

criminallyinane said:

Unless of course, medical schools and AAMC have rigged the system to increase the number application fees that they receive! Then I have the right and very well should be upset! :laugh:

Look, if med schools picked up the pace, it wouldn't affect the odds of getting in off the waitlist. However, it would mean that people would know where they are going three weeks in advance and reduce the cost of appling to med school.

trinitrotoluene said:
Unless of course, medical schools and AAMC have rigged the system to increase the number application fees that they receive! Then I have the right and very well should be upset! :laugh:
:laugh: actually, that's a pretty reasonable conspiracy theory. i wouldn't put it past them.

I think this thread is a bit useless

GuyLaroche said:
You know, I wonder how much of this position is due to already securing an acceptance at some place. I find people sing different tunes when the music in question is not written in their key.

PS: I like how my Harvard rejection has turned me into an advocate for the down-trodden.

Oh, I totally agree that if I had 0 acceptances I might not be so lax about this whole thing, but at the same time, you can't deny that no matter how long it takes, those who are going to get a place are going to get the place. And waiting that long will make it even sweeter when it does happen, right? ;) Good luck to the waitlisted!! :luck:

criminallyinane said:
Oh, I totally agree that if I had 0 acceptances I might not be so lax about this whole thing, but at the same time, you can't deny that no matter how long it takes, those who are going to get a place are going to get the place. And waiting that long will make it even sweeter when it does happen, right? ;) Good luck to the waitlisted!! :luck:

Do not presue what is sweet and what is not. I'm assuming you do have acceptances; I don't. I want one now so I can move on with my life.

criminallyinane said:

I don't necessarily think that a 'delayed' offer of acceptance from a med school will be any more sweet after years of busting our a$$es studying, volunteering, applying, etc. Plus, it would be nice to have a longer "honeymoon" period during the summer before med school, wouldn't it?

trinitrotoluene said:
Do not presue what is sweet and what is not. I'm assuming you do have acceptances; I don't. I want one now so I can move on with my life.

I am sorry you haven't gotten in yet and am sure it will happen for you soon! But let's remember that whether people get in is not dependent on when others withdraw their multiple acceptances.

When I got into medical school 3 years after graduating college and after many bumps on the road, I felt like I appreciated it even more than I could have if I had gotten in right after graduation. I am not saying that it's an ideal situation to get in during the summer, but also wasn't trying to offend by saying that it would feel even better after such a rough application year. I was just trying to relay my belief that sometimes, the hardest fought battle feels the best when it is won :) Kind of like a beat-the-buzzer game in March madness... but back to the point of the thread: the spots available are the same no matter when people withdraw. I hope people don't hold spots just for vanity's sake, but holding 2 or 3 spots while waiting for financial aid is not such an awful thing, and that should be respected by those waiting on acceptances.

superdevil said:

It's just that the people who haven't been accepted to a school yet are feeling pretty frustrated and you guys are an easy target.

withdraw and get the ball rolling

criminallyinane:

I find no comfort in your words. They have no meaning. I choose to not read them.

Mwdikit:

I would describe them as sitting ducks without a logical leg to stand on.

Damn guys, just compromise. How about you only withdraw from the schools that have waitlisted me? :D