"You're My Top Choice"??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinner Doc

drop knees, not bombs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is sort of an etiquette question. I have one more interview, and it's at a location where I have done a month-long EM rotation. Given that I know a fair amount about the program already, and that I've seen all the other programs on my interview circuit, I feel fairly confident that it is my top choice.

My question is, is it weird/tacky/unprecedented to tell a program *at* the interview that they are my first choice? Maybe this is a dumb question.... I've heard a lot about letting programs know that they're #1 further on down the line, via emails/phone calls on applicants' behalf/etc.... but never about letting the program know at the interview itself. Is it too early in the game?

Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, this is sort of an etiquette question. I have one more interview, and it's at a location where I have done a month-long EM rotation. Given that I know a fair amount about the program already, and that I've seen all the other programs on my interview circuit, I feel fairly confident that it is my top choice.

My question is, is it weird/tacky/unprecedented to tell a program *at* the interview that they are my first choice? Maybe this is a dumb question.... I've heard a lot about letting programs know that they're #1 further on down the line, via emails/phone calls on applicants' behalf/etc.... but never about letting the program know at the interview itself. Is it too early in the game?

Much thanks!

I am curently interviewing as well.
I told the program I was most interested in during the interview that "this is where I want to train because....."
The response I received was very positive.

I am in the same boat as you and so I don't know the perfect time of the interview season to tell a program that they are #1. All I know is that you can never go wrong with the truth and so if you go to an interview and just get a great feeling about a program and feel like they are your #1 choice, then just tell them. I did the same as you. I had an interview at a place where I had done a 1 month EM rotation and during the interview I just told the PD that I loved the program, the residents and would love to come to their program. The PD appreciated my enthusiasm and honesty and said the same of me. I never said the words "you are my #1", but I might as well have done so. So if you feel the same as I did, I see nothing wrong with doing what I did. Good luck on your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in mind how many applicants say that to a program. You shouldn't say this is my #1 program, but should emphasize what aspects of the program you like, how you will take advantage of any unique opportunities available at the program (e.g., ultrasound, EMS, international, etc.), and if you find you have a lot in common with the residents or you are really attracted to the city, then mention it.

Stating that a program is your #1 is like more than half the medical students who tell residents they want to go into specialty Z when they are doing a Z clerkship.

Just keep in mind how many applicants say that to a program. You shouldn't say this is my #1 program, but should emphasize what aspects of the program you like, how you will take advantage of any unique opportunities available at the program (e.g., ultrasound, EMS, international, etc.), and if you find you have a lot in common with the residents or you are really attracted to the city, then mention it.

Stating that a program is your #1 is like more than half the medical students who tell residents they want to go into specialty Z when they are doing a Z clerkship.

That's interesting... our dean has been warning us that we can tell programs that they are our #1 (usually referring to later down the line, during the ranking process), but that it carries a lot of weight and be prepared for some awkwardness if you let a program know they're #1 and then end up somewhere else. If that makes any sense.

So really, you're saying that even saying they're #1 means nothing?

That's interesting... our dean has been warning us that we can tell programs that they are our #1 (usually referring to later down the line, during the ranking process), but that it carries a lot of weight and be prepared for some awkwardness if you let a program know they're #1 and then end up somewhere else. If that makes any sense.

I'm saying a lot of people say a program is their #1.

Programs rank applicants according to how they will fit into their program, the competitiveness of the applicant, etc. Very few programs rank applicants based on their statement as to how the applicant plans to rank the program.

I could be wrong. Maybe BKN could shed some light on the #1 issue.

hey PD ;) i think that saying a program is your #1 means a lot, provided it is true (and obviously you do mean it, so i'm speaking in more general terms). i think particularly in EM you have to remember how small of a world it is. telling a program you love them doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, but it can help and can also hurt if it turns out you didn't mean it.
clearly i'm no expert, but i don't think it hurts to say it early and continue to say it as long as it is true--the danger of early is just that we all know how rank lists can change with the seasons (or weeks or hours...)

good luck with everything...i know you'll get your top choice and i only hope i'm nearby! :)
merry & happy & all that jazz...

hey PD ;) i think that saying a program is your #1 means a lot, provided it is true (and obviously you do mean it, so i'm speaking in more general terms). i think particularly in EM you have to remember how small of a world it is. telling a program you love them doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, but it can help and can also hurt if it turns out you didn't mean it.
clearly i'm no expert, but i don't think it hurts to say it early and continue to say it as long as it is true--the danger of early is just that we all know how rank lists can change with the seasons (or weeks or hours...)

good luck with everything...i know you'll get your top choice and i only hope i'm nearby! :)
merry & happy & all that jazz...
Yea, I don't think it can hurt you (unless you tell 5 programs they're #1). Just not sure it will actually help you either.

One thing to remember on the interview circuit: program directors do talk among themselves. Generally they aren't going to talk about every applicant, but if you mess up, curse at the secretary, etc., then trust me, the others will hear about it.

I'm saying a lot of people say a program is their #1.

Programs rank applicants according to how they will fit into their program, the competitiveness of the applicant, etc. Very few programs rank applicants based on their statement as to how the applicant plans to rank the program.

I could be wrong. Maybe BKN could shed some light on the #1 issue.

Basically, I agree. It's nice to be loved, but many of years past experience forces me to take such declarations with a grain of salt. We rank our applicants in the order that we want. We expect applicants to rank programs in the order they want. Given those two conditions, the "#1 declaration" is irrelevant to the lists.