"You're only pre-dentistry because you couldn't handle pre-med" quote from my advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartonsleeve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor actually said this to me today...so rude. I've already complained about him but I'm sure nothing will come out of it since his position is secure.

Have you come across people saying this to you? I'm sure enough actual dentists as is have to hear backwards comments like this but now even those aspiring to be have to?

Just wanted to give my 2 cents that yes I actually used to be pre-med for a very short time period but was interested in dentistry since I was a small child. I wasn't able to cultivate that interest until college. I was pressured by family to try medicine since I have a passion for helping people's well-being but quickly realized I need to follow my passion. If anything, I say that being questioned for being pre-dentistry makes your convictions stronger rather than weaker. It causes you to really realize why you want to pursue it and gives you even more reason to.

Just putting this out there because I saw a lot of fellow pre-dentistry students get discouraged and wanted to say that you should never let anyone take away from your goal.

End cheesy rant-sorry everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
well that's plain rude. let's hope you end up being his/her dentist in the future :happy:. If you are well aware of what the profession is all about, and you know what is it that makes you passionate about it, then you are in it for the right reasons. No reason to let someone get you upset

Who cares what the advisor says. They become an school advisor what, does that say about how well they did in school?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
spslHMC.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I totally get this! I was also in the same position (choosing between pre-med and pre-dental) so I shadowed a dentist along with working as a medical assistant for a doctor practicing internal medicine. I was so inspired by shadowing a dentist that I chose that path and never looked back. I have heard the same thing, and all you can do is not even respond to the ignorance. Unhappy people like to make others feel bad about themselves so just say well thanks but I'll take my chances.

I found that I was more successful when I was my own advisor. After all, you know you better than they know you. If I would have listened to half of the things they told me, I would have quit freshman year of undergrad.

You could have also just said that it was because pre-med couldn't handle YOU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
When you guys get these types of comments, you need to agree with them and say that you weren't good enough for pre-med. Tell them your GPA was low. Tell them that you are worried dental school costs more than med school. Tell them that most dentists only make around $100k and that none of this matters to you because you just wanted a "dr" in front of your name. Tell them how badly you wanted to be a medical doctor, but are depressed you weren't good enough.

I do not want more competition. Less competition = more money. The less people going into dentistry the better it is for me and you guys. So you should serve as a vehicle for propagating these misconceptions about dentistry (unless its a family member or close friend).:thumbup:

Reactions: 6 users
"You're only an advisor because you couldn't handle....pretty much anything else."

Reactions: 16 users
When you guys get these types of comments, you need to agree with them and say that you weren't good enough for pre-med. Tell them your GPA was low. Tell them that you are worried dental school costs more than med school. Tell them that most dentists only make around $100k and that none of this matters to you because you just wanted a "dr" in front of your name. Tell them how badly you wanted to be a medical doctor, but are depressed you weren't good enough.

I do not want more competition. Less competition = more money. The less people going into dentistry the better it is for me and you guys. So you should serve as a vehicle for propagating these misconceptions about dentistry (unless its a family member or close friend).:thumbup:

this is......
surprisingly, a good idea.

Aren't pre dent and pre med classes pretty much the same?

"You're only an advisor because you couldn't handle....pretty much anything else."

Haha definitely the response I would have gave him. Or something along of lines of "if dentistry doesn't work out, I can always become a student advisor"

I only visited a college advisor once (before graduation), and he had shelves of protein powder all along his office. Not to mention he had Lil Wayne playing when I came in. He didn't care to turn it off, he simply lowered the volume - 100% true story haha. Nevertheless, great experience :thumbup: (even though he already told me what I already knew).

Don't take what your advisor says to heart , you know whats best for you.

"When's the last time you got laid?"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would've said "..and you became advisor because of your big mouth"

To the advisor: "As you sit there talking crap about dentistry, you wish you were capable enough to be a dentist."

In all honesty, if you are a person with a bit of foresight and motivation, you don't need an advisor. I was the only pre-dent at my school and it wasn't that bad to just direct myself. :) At advising meetings (which we were REQUIRED to have before registering for classes each semester--I went to a really small school), I'd just walk in, tell my advisor what I was taking, and was done with it. Granted, he was one of my teachers and knew I wouldn't make dumb choices, but yeah. I never really used advising services. Just brush this fool off, and I wouldn't bother with him again.

Tell your advisor, you are an advisor because you can't handle health profession school. And yeah, tell him he's a jerk too.

so many people are uneducated about the level of education their dentist actually has.. i remember once i was talking to an old high school friend, and he was surprised that my major was biology as a predent...
kids these days.

Don't you think doing that is a "gunnerish" thing to do?

Imagine if we based all our actions on what others thought. Being yourself regardless of what others think to be more prestigious is going to make you much happier - so who cares what your advisor said?

Thanks all, I've learned the hard way not to care about what my advisor says. He sort of messed up my schedule freshmen year and ended up causing a lot of problems.

Just thought I would share his recent comment.

I pretty much just see him whenever I'm required to and tell him the classes I'm taking instead of letting him "advise" me.

My pre-health advisor told me I would never be able to get into dental school.

I have half the urge to walk back into the office in May, show the acceptance letter, say "You were wrong", and calmly walk out.

That would show her.

Moral of the story -- ignore comments like that! :) You know why you are doing dental, and that is all that matters.

Advisers can be pretty awful advise givers. I've talked to almost a half dozen at my school and they all heavily implied being a dentist is a pipe dream of mine and I should consider working in the lucrative field of goat herding. I dismissed their comments as dumb, and now I'm sitting here with a grim outlook on my future as a dentist and researching areas nearby for where I can shadow for a local goat herder *sigh*.

My pre-health advisor told me I would never be able to get into dental school.

I have half the urge to walk back into the office in May, show the acceptance letter, say "You were wrong", and calmly walk out.

That would show her.

Moral of the story -- ignore comments like that! :) You know why you are doing dental, and that is all that matters.

Nothing wrong with doing just that.

I stopped thinking about getting advice from advisors for this very reason. For example my sister's advisor told her that she couldn't couldn't get into nursing school because of her stats and cried on the way home, .... as of today she is currently in nursing school.

Only advice I'm taking are from myself and from people who truly want people to succeed in their goals. Pessimists just keep you back.

Tempting for sure, but humility is a quality others greatly appreciate, especially in their health care providers.
Well, there's really no point in not doing. That toolbag needs a change of perspective and that just may be an effective way to do it. Advisors also need a dose of humility/reality. For the record, the bio and prehealth advisors at my school are great, but my wife's (sociology) are horrendous.

Nothing wrong with doing just that.

Better way for her to do it is to craft a nicely worded email that thanks her advisor for the assistance over the years, without which she never would have gained acceptance to her top choice school on the first try.

Kill. Them. With. Kindness.

Reactions: 6 users
It is a cheesy rant, many predents are people who have considered medicine, and of those many of them, not all, have done this because of a low GPA or MCAT. The advisor is wrong for telling you this upfront, but it may be the truth and you may just be lying to yourself or us. See, its more believable that you changed from premed to predent because of your interest in teeth or disinterest in medicine if you had a high stats because you have both options open to you and your willingly choosing what to do. I'm guessing your GPA is relatively low to get into medical school, or your MCAT. I may be wrong, either way don't get discouraged, work hard focus on school and you'll eventually get into dental school.

It is a cheesy rant, many predents are people who have considered medicine, and of those many of them, not all, have done this because of a low GPA or MCAT. The advisor is wrong for telling you this upfront, but it may be the truth and you may just be lying to yourself or us. See, its more believable that you changed from premed to predent because of your interest in teeth or disinterest in medicine if you had a high stats because you have both options open to you and your willingly choosing what to do. I'm guessing your GPA is relatively low to get into medical school, or your MCAT. I may be wrong, either way don't get discouraged, work hard focus on school and you'll eventually get into dental school.

So do you think that Dental school is for people with low GPA or low MCAT? Yes, you are probably wrong. Dental school admission is as rigorous or I think even more rigorous than Medical school admission, just compare the amount of med schools vs the amount of dental schools. If anything, from what I've seen people with low MCAT just apply to DO schools which I don't believe it's easier to get in but they just do. If someone changes to dentistry from medicine just because they had low GPA or low MCAT then I believe they never really liked or had a strong interest for medicine in the first place. When someone has passion for something one keeps at it until one gets it, haven't you seen people here who not only apply once or twice but thrice to dental schools and keep doing postbacs, retaking the DAT, etc? now that's what I call strong-will for the profession and those are the ones who deserve to get in.

So do you think that Dental school is for people with low GPA or low MCAT? Yes, you are probably wrong. Dental school admission is as rigorous or I think even more rigorous than Medical school admission, just compare the amount of med schools vs the amount of dental schools. If anything, from what I've seen people with low MCAT just apply to DO schools which I don't believe it's easier to get in but they just do. If someone changes to dentistry from medicine just because they had low GPA or low MCAT then I believe they never really liked or had a strong interest for medicine in the first place. When someone has passion for something one keeps at it until one gets it, haven't you seen people here who not only apply once or twice but thrice to dental schools and keep doing postbacs, retaking the DAT, etc? now that's what I call strong-will for the profession and those are the ones who deserve to get in.
+1

Your advisor should probably get another job because he has obviously done no research in the dental field. Also, about 99% of what pre-med people have to take, pre-dental has to take as well.

I had a nightmare that I got into medical school instead of dental school, swear to god I woke up and had to make sure to read that acceptance email all over again. Many of us don't want to be an MD or DO, you give me acceptance to the top 20 med schools and I will gladly throw it away.

This poor guy has been tar and feathered. What's next? Flogging in downtown Bagd? Nice touch on some comments from future professionals.

Last edited:
Better way for her to do it is to craft a nicely worded email that thanks her advisor for the assistance over the years, without which she never would have gained acceptance to her top choice school on the first try.

Kill. Them. With. Kindness.

I like this idea a lot actually.
Thank you!

99% will be doing this in May.

I spent a large portion of my life growing up in europe and school advisors there will tell you "you're pre-med because you couldn't handle pre-dentistry" LOL! it must be a cultural thing :D

Regardless of his position, your advisor is entitled to his opinion. The opinion that really counts is yours. You'll come across many people in life that will believe one career is superior to the other but don't let it even bother you in the slightest.

tumblr_mondr3kZ561suyp67o1_400.gif

NO I don't think dental school is for those with low GPA or MCAT, but in general med school applicants typically have higher avg GPAs (3.7 vs 3.5) and if you compare the MCAT with the DAT its obvious which one is easier. Don't bring up the argument that there are more medical schools than dental schools because that just shows how ignorant you are, med schools get about 40,000+ apps for 20000 seats, dental schools get 11,000 apps for 4500 seats(yeah I know percentages favor dentistry but it really makes no difference when you factor in application quality). And if you think dental school is more difficult to get into than med school your just delusional. Read my comment again, I was explaining how easy it is to assume someone changed from medical to dental because of non-competitive stats.

Don't bring up the argument that there are more medical schools than dental schools because that just shows how ignorant you are, med schools get about 40,000+ apps for 20000 seats, dental schools get 11,000 apps for 4500 seats(yeah I know percentages favor dentistry but it really makes no difference when you factor in application quality).

Dude what is going on with your math?!?!

20,000/40,000 = 50%
4500/11,000= 40.9%

Your math does not favor dentistry.

^^
The phrasing is confusing, but I think he/she was just admitting that those particular stats don't support their argument (that med school is harder to get into dental school). But does it really matter? You're going to face criticism and judgement for any decision you make in life - just be confident it's the right decision for you. Laugh off the comments made by your advisor, people say dumb things all the time without really thinking through how it might affect someone else; I doubt there was any malice behind it.

And just 'cause this thread is feeling a little heavy...

tumblr_mzo53quJ3b1rw1wnno1_400.gif

Reactions: 3 users
NO I don't think dental school is for those with low GPA or MCAT, but in general med school applicants typically have higher avg GPAs (3.7 vs 3.5) and if you compare the MCAT with the DAT its obvious which one is easier. Don't bring up the argument that there are more medical schools than dental schools because that just shows how ignorant you are, med schools get about 40,000+ apps for 20000 seats, dental schools get 11,000 apps for 4500 seats(yeah I know percentages favor dentistry but it really makes no difference when you factor in application quality). And if you think dental school is more difficult to get into than med school your just delusional. Read my comment again, I was explaining how easy it is to assume someone changed from medical to dental because of non-competitive stats.

cool_26e6f6_3018739.gif

2013:

From ADEA Guide: 12,039 applicants and 5,311 matriculants -> 44.11%
From AAMC: 48,014 applicants and 20,055 matriculants -> 41.77%

sjv,
Do you know how many international dentists matriculate every year? I'm guessing it's around 1000.

Guys, the most competitive profession is Podiatry. It's so competitive that no one gets in. Literally. It's the only closed profession. I think like once a decade they open up spots for people. In the meantime you'll have to wait your turn.

sjv,
Do you know how many international dentists matriculate every year? I'm guessing it's around 1000.

No idea, I can't find the data. There are 26 (24 US + 1 Canadian + 1 Puerto Rican) schools that use CAAPID so if you estimate maybe 30 seats per school, maybe ~700-800? Amount of seats took a significant hit when NYU changed their international dentist program.

It's true that on average, med school applicants need higher stats (GPA) than dental school applicants.

That being said, I think the qualities necessary to become successful dentists are different than those needed for successful doctors. Dentists on the most part work in private practice. To become successful, it's important to be personable, learn how to manage people successfully, and to deal with overhead and insurance properly.
Doctors tend to work in a hospital setting. Their success correlates highly with their medical skills. The prestige of the medical school the doctor has attended is often used as a measurement of that skill. The hospitals also have administrators / HR department which manage the day-to-day operations as well as an accounting department that deals with finances.

Back to the topic at hand... Too many pre-health advisors assume that all pre-health students want to go to medical school. Glad the OP isn't discouraged by his advisor's misinformed remarks :)

Edit: Grades often do not dictate a dentist's success in the field. On the other hand, with stellar grades, doctors are much more likely to get into competitive residencies for high-paying specialities. I do think however, you'll find the common characteristics I mentioned for successful dentists in doctors who are in private practice.

Last edited:
No idea, I can't find the data. There are 26 (24 US + 1 Canadian + 1 Puerto Rican) schools that use CAAPID so if you estimate maybe 30 seats per school, maybe ~700-800? Amount of seats took a significant hit when NYU changed their international dentist program.

Don't count PR, they are very conservative with mainland people.

Umm...I will try to be as respectful as possible when I tell you that I am not worried about my GPA. I have not taken the MCATS or DATS as I am still taking pre-requisites due to a delay in my plan. I would really encourage you to not take "guesses" at peoples GPAs or suggesting they're in dentistry due to low MCAT scores, instead I would try to focus on fixing your abrasive personality.