"You're only pre-dentistry because you couldn't handle pre-med" quote from my advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well idk about the rest of you...but WHAT A RELIEF. Finally, the truth about why I pursued dentistry is out for the world to see. I think I hear trumpets.

...seriously, pre med, pre dental, pre whatever. Who cares. You do you. Don't worry about other people's opinions. End thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
sjv,
Do you know how many international dentists matriculate every year? I'm guessing it's around 1000.
No idea, I can't find the data. There are 26 (24 US + 1 Canadian + 1 Puerto Rican) schools that use CAAPID so if you estimate maybe 30 seats per school, maybe ~700-800? Amount of seats took a significant hit when NYU changed their international dentist program.

Twenty percent would awfully generous. Allowing an additional 125+ of advanced standing for NYU, it would bring the figure to under 10% of enrollees.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-international-students-admission-statistics.1005151/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sjv,
Do you know how many international dentists matriculate every year? I'm guessing it's around 1000.

No idea, I can't find the data. There are 26 (24 US + 1 Canadian + 1 Puerto Rican) schools that use CAAPID so if you estimate maybe 30 seats per school, maybe ~700-800? Amount of seats took a significant hit when NYU changed their international dentist program.

Per the ADEA CAAPID directory online:

USC: 32
Loma Linda: 20-24
UCLA: 20
UCSF: 28
Pacific: 22
Colorado: 40
Howard: 10
Florida: 2
Indiana: 24
Illinois – Chicago: 40
Louisville: only if space available
Boston U.: 75
Tufts: 10-20
Michigan: 10
Rutgers: 26
Columbia: 2
Buffalo: 24
Oklahoma: 4
Penn: 30
Pittsburgh: 4
Temple: 12
Puerto Rico: 8
VCU: 10
Washington: 5
Marquette: only if space available

GRAND TOTAL: maximum of ~472 graduates each year

Per the ADEA CAAPID directory online:

USC: 32
Loma Linda: 20-24
UCLA: 20
UCSF: 28
Pacific: 22
Colorado: 40
Howard: 10
Florida: 2
Indiana: 24
Illinois – Chicago: 40
Louisville: only if space available
Boston U.: 75
Tufts: 10-20
Michigan: 10
Rutgers: 26
Columbia: 2
Buffalo: 24
Oklahoma: 4
Penn: 30
Pittsburgh: 4
Temple: 12
Puerto Rico: 8
VCU: 10
Washington: 5
Marquette: only if space available

GRAND TOTAL: maximum of ~472 graduates each year

Thanks for adding it up, I was too lazy to. I knew it was an overestimate but for sure less than 1000.

UMN has a PASS program that is similar to other advance standing programs. I don't think they participate in CAAPID.

The difference is that the students in this program has to take every single class for d2,d3, and d4. Basically, they only get D1 waved off it they have an international dental degree.

Reactions: 1 user

The excel sheet you have linked indicates 126 international dentists admitted each year to NYU. Apparently this program took in its last class in 2013 and they won't be continuing it anymore. (http://www.nyu.edu/pages/dental/academicprograms/ddsap/index.html)

So 591 - 126 = 465 graduates per year (I guess starting in 2015 anyway). Apparently there are a few programs that are not included in CAAPID too (like U of Minn.) so probably closer to 500.

The excel sheet you have linked indicates 126 international dentists admitted each year to NYU. Apparently this program took in its last class in 2013 and they won't be continuing it anymore. (http://www.nyu.edu/pages/dental/academicprograms/ddsap/index.html)

So 591 - 126 = 465 graduates per year (I guess starting in 2015 anyway). Apparently there are a few programs that are not included in CAAPID too (like U of Minn.) so probably closer to 500.
There appears to be a great deal of confusion on this topic. The apparent change is that NYU will no longer have advanced placement for international graduate; inter graduate will start from D1. The number (of foreign graduates) accepted appears to remain relatively unchanged, based on the yearly enrollment at NYU at 360.

There appears to be a great deal of confusion on this topic. The apparent change is that NYU will no longer have advanced placement for international graduate; inter graduate will start from D1. The number (of foreign graduates) accepted appears to remain relatively unchanged, based on the yearly enrollment at NYU at 360.

Ok thanks for the clarification. sheeze that's a HUGE class size!