Youth in Anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, OMS1 here. I was reading this thread and the thought occurred to me that admissions committees for Anesth programs may particularly stress maturity as important to find in their applicants (what with the whole "life-or-death intervention" thing as that member says in the thread) -- possibly more so than other residencies. The subsequent thought then occurred that they might not like the fact that I'm 4-7 years younger than my med student peers. This field has really been my main choice for a long time...so here are my questions:

-Will applying to residencies be yet another AdCom that I have to prove my maturity to, or will they trust that I'm mature enough by getting through med school?
-If it's a problem, how big of one? Am I functionally banned, will I need to 10 percentile higher to be competitive, or what?
-If I'm banned ageism-style, what other residencies am I also banned from?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can be of the "appropriate" age and not be mature. You don't know if you will be mature by then. Though honestly, with great scores/grades only being really weird can stop ou from getting a spot somewhere.

Hey guys, OMS1 here. I was reading this thread and the thought occurred to me that admissions committees for Anesth programs may particularly stress maturity as important to find in their applicants (what with the whole "life-or-death intervention" thing as that member says in the thread) -- possibly more so than other residencies. The subsequent thought then occurred that they might not like the fact that I'm 4-7 years younger than my med student peers. This field has really been my main choice for a long time...so here are my questions:

-Will applying to residencies be yet another AdCom that I have to prove my maturity to, or will they trust that I'm mature enough by getting through med school?
-If it's a problem, how big of one? Am I functionally banned, will I need to 10 percentile higher to be competitive, or what?
-If I'm banned ageism-style, what other residencies am I also banned from?

Thanks for the help.

4-7 yrs younger? Doesn't compute. Are you Doogie Howser?

I would say the mode for age of med school graduates is 26. (High school 18, college 22, med school 26. Assuming no gaps). Even had a graduate of a six year med program in my residency class.

BTW I would think that the opposite is true- younger folks are less likely to have family responsibilities and thus more likely to devote almost all of their waking ours to training.

Members don't see this ad :)
4-7 yrs younger? Doesn't compute. Are you Doogie Howser

I just turned 19, haha. So yes, people have called me Doogie enough times that I might as well be him.

Thanks for the replies though. I feel like I'm good at clicking with interviewers, and I have a great relationship with a faculty member at my med school who I'll probably ask to address my age in a LoR.

But the thing is, in the process of getting into med school, I applied to 40+ schools, got 2 interviews, and got 1 acceptance. My stats were above national medians for accepted applicants, I had glowing LoRs from a doctor and science professors, and I walked out of my interviews thinking I owned them. After getting in, I talked to faculty at my med school, and they said they were going to deny me because of my age but the aforementioned faculty member that I have a great relationship with vouched for me and saved me. Age has been an enormous detriment so far...with this information and my age in mind, what do you guys think about my questions?

Just don't mention your age during the interviews. Do not bring it it. If anyone does, stop them immediately. Say that "I did not get here because of my age. I'm smart, competent, mature, and dedicated. Besides, I would like to remind you that age discrimination is illegal".

Seriously. I used to interview applicants.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Great to hear, urge. On that note, maybe it would be best to just not even bring it up in my LoR's at all, or in whatever essays I'd need to write.

What you said about age discrimination being illegal is true for med school admission as well...makes me think that addressing my age in my personal statement for med school apps made it fair game for consideration. Hmmm.

I suspect that your age will be readily discoverable by the database forms that you provide.
-Ignore it on your statement, essays, LORs
-I suspect that it is less of an issue in Anesthesia as compared to other specilaties: OB/GYN, Internal medicine, Primary care, surgery.
-You said that you are 19 and a first year. Interviews are 3 years away. The gap between your peers and you will shrink during that time.
-Relax. You have got a 4 year head start on your peers.

Just don't mention your age during the interviews. Do not bring it it. If anyone does, stop them immediately. Say that "I did not get here because of my age. I'm smart, competent, mature, and dedicated. Besides, I would like to remind you that age discrimination is illegal".

I would counter that accusing them of age discrimination at the first mention of him being young will be a good way to get on the no rank list. Making threats and accusations such as that would be evidence of someone who will not get along well as part of a team.
I would agree with the bolded portion as a strong statement of confidence. No need to threaten or accuse.

I've met several people on the interview trail who entered medical school at 19. So I don't think your situation is particularly unique, and I don't think it matters at the residency interview stage.

the only thing you can potentially be penalized for is being weird which is a problem because too many super-young med students fit into this mold

When I was a third year resident I would interview the new residents and give my opinion. My residency director took all my recommendations. I really didn't care about the age of an applicant. I cared if the person was someone I could work with in the middle of the night. I cared that the applicant was smart. I cared that the applicant was normal. I interviewed many people who had 10 and 15 years on me. I really didn't care about age to be honest.

Great stuff guys, I really appreciate the input.

I would agree with the bolded portion as a strong statement of confidence. No need to threaten or accuse.

That's probably what I'll do. I've always been gun-shy about being aggressive in interviews anyway.

the only thing you can potentially be penalized for is being weird which is a problem because too many super-young med students fit into this mold

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean. That won't be a problem though, I'll keep my My Little Pony action figure collection at home this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great to hear! Congrats on all those interviews man.

I interviewed premeds as a med student, and med students as a resident. Unless it was in a personal statement I never knew, nor cared about age. But do not act professionally when you're in a strange town. You are in a professional school - to become a professional. Always act professionally. State boards expect it. Hospitals expect it. Your school expects it. Your PD will expect it. Your colleagues expect it. And your mother expects it!

I think you're in a good place OP. my main concern on the interview trail, for anesthesia residency, (and god willing I get there), will be ADVANCED AGE. ;-)

And as I posted once prior here, I had a PD tell me once during a friendly chat that he'd be a bit worried with someone of my age. I'm 39. Call competency on overnights. At least he was honest. More than I can say about 99% of the people in my current line of work.

D712

I think you're in a good place OP. my main concern on the interview trail, for anesthesia residency, (and god willing I get there), will be ADVANCED AGE. ;-)

And as I posted once prior here, I had a PD tell me once during a friendly chat that he'd be a bit worried with someone of my age. I'm 39. Call competency on overnights. At least he was honest. More than I can say about 99% of the people in my current line of work.

D712

Several of the best residents I have ever worked with were second career, over 40 types.

Gern,

And I hope one day SOONER THAN LATER to add to that fine group. :thumbup:

D712

Am I the only one who is confused here? How did you go about getting around that whole undergrad requirement?

And WTF is an OMS1?

Probably went to undergrad early and finished early. There was a 19 year old guy in my med school class. He was weird. Not sure if he made it through.

I think OMS1 is osteopathic med student, first year.

Probably went to undergrad early and finished early. There was a 19 year old guy in my med school class. He was weird. Not sure if he made it through.

I think OMS1 is osteopathic med student, first year.

I thought a MS was a MS. The folks promoting that over at the AOA have MR. I think they should take it a step further and introduce ethnicity and gender into it. And even appearance, cause I've seen some FL-OMS. In fact, the last medical student I worked with was a FL-F-C-B-O-MS4. (Funny looking, female, caucasian, bisexual) How awesome is that? I think I'll sell it to the AOA!

The fact that someone is DONE with undergrad 2-3 years prior to the legal drinking age is just a tragedy to me. Undergrad was a great time and to essentially skip those years is just unfortunate. What's the hurry?

To the OP, here are my recommendations. Drop out of O-med school. Return immediately to the nearest large university. Make some bad decisions, drink too much, lay some pipe and report back to O-med school.

Last edited:
I thought a MS was a MS. The folks promoting that over at the AOA have MR. I think they should take it a step further and introduce ethnicity and gender into it. And even appearance, cause I've seen some FL-OMS. In fact, the last medical student I worked with was a FL-F-C-B-O-MS4. (Funny looking, female, caucasian, bisexual) How awesome is that? I think I'll sell it to the AOA!

The face that someone is DONE with undergrad 2-3 years prior to the legal drinking age is just a tragedy to me. Undergrad was a great time and to essentially skip those years is just unfortunate. What's the hurry?

To the OP, here are my recommendations. Drop out of O-med school. Return immediately to the nearest large university. Make some bad decisions, drink too much, lay some pipe and report back to O-med school.

IveGotTwins was right -- I essentially skipped 4 grades. And OMS1 = Osteopathic Medical Student, 1st year, but I like your naming system better hahaha.

People have asked me that question before, and it still surprises me. Isn't almost any medical student you ask depressed about how old they'll be when they finally finish residency? I just saw that it was a lot of schooling and wanted to speed it up. Granted, I made the decision to do so when I was too young to realize what it would mean to "miss out" on the "best years of your life", and I will admit I got less of the college experience than a normally-paced student would.

However, I made up for it with this awesome dual-life that I have. I went to college and go to med school, and am with older peers who seem to love living vicariously through me exposing me to things they can't believe I haven't done. Then, I go home to my same-age friends and have all these stories and adventures of the "adult life". It's a win-win.

Besides, though you'll just have to take my word for it, this educational pathway hasn't made me a sociopath. I have an awesome, supportive girlfriend of 3 years and tons of great friends ranging from age 15 to 30. While being under drinking age blows, it's never a problem (wink). I don't regret anything. I love being in O-med school, O-pening up textbooks and getting an O-face.

Last edited:
I love being in O-med school, O-pening up textbooks and getting an O-face.

o-face.jpg

Hit up some of the O-lder ladies in O-med school to achieve the O-face. Never, under any circumstances, refer to the O-face while talking about reading medical textbooks again.

I have to agree with most posters that age doesn't really matter. Maturity and ability matter more than age. People will notice that you are younger, and you will get sick of hearing about doogie howser. I would advise against advertising your age though... some people don't like it and it will prejudice them against you. If it comes up, say you're 19 but don't go around telling everyone before they ask.

I think the biggest problem that comes with youth in medicine is impulsivity... If you tend to be impulsive anyway, you will have to continue working on that for most of your life.

And don't be deceived that fast-paced specialties like Anesthesia require more "age," meaning maturity. Slow paced specialties also require maturity because you have to focus on things that aren't exciting.

But yes, there are lots of people out there that started med school under 20... :) Keep up your enthusiasm

The fact that someone is DONE with undergrad 2-3 years prior to the legal drinking age is just a tragedy to me. Undergrad was a great time and to essentially skip those years is just unfortunate. What's the hurry?

:thumbup: :laugh: