Youthful Indiscretions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainSSO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal -- up until the summer of 2007, I was immatureF.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good for you! My story is similar in some ways. I am planning on pointing out the fact that I have been out in the world, and actually had to learn from real mistakes, but found my "calling" and learned how to work hard and respect myself, laws, and others. I think experiencing that side of life gives you an incredibly helpful perspective with many patients and keeps you humble. There are certain medics I work with who have always been "goody two-shoes," and when we have to deal with drunk or neglectful patients, they often assume a "holier than thou" perspective that really hurts their care. I've been wondering the same things as you, so I'm interested to hear what other people have to say.

That's really awesome, I don't know you but I'm proud of you! :laugh: Everyone says medical schools love seeing improvement. Going from C's and B's to straight A's is a huge accomplishment in itself. It's good for a number of reasons. It shows how determined you are how much you pushed yourself to get those grades. I'm pretty sure you'll be questioned about it during the interview, but if you can provide a solid and well-rounded answer, then you'll be absolutely fine. You have so many EC's, I wouldn't be really worried if I were you. Good luck!

I just want to demonstrate that I have matured and grown since then, and that my past (even though it was wrong) did serve as a catalyst that subsequently led me down the right path.

I know there is no handbook that pertains to my specific situation, but any advice would be much appreciated.
Adcomms love a good redemption story. Better yet, they love seeing a demonstration of the resulting empathy when you help others in the same situation. Any chance you could become a peer counselor for fellow students with drug and alcohol problems? Such an activity would speak volumes about the direction you want your life to take.