yuck-Washington State residency certification process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey: I applied to UW and received a request that I go through the official process to certify my Washington state residency officially. I moved to Washington in June 2002 and have been independent from my parents for three years now, but they don't seem to believe my self-declaration of washington state residency. Anyone had any experience with this before? Any input? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

no, I did not move to washington to attend school. I moved here for a job. Yes, I am 25 years or older. BUt i just received an email from UWSOM admissions requesting that i go through the formal process of residency certification.

Members don't see this ad :)
They probably automatically require a certification for anybody who lists thier residency for less than 2 years. Just a guess. Could be hard to certify it.

Judd

I got the same thing because I did my post-bac out of state. I talked with the admissions office and they said it was pretty routine. Robert Rhodes has also been really helpful over the phone and it sounds like you shouldn't have a problem if you are legitimate. Just more hoops to jump through.

I'm sorry you have to do it, too. Mr. Rhodes told me that they don't even LOOK at your certification materials until mid to late September. More delays...

P.S. I noticed that someone recieved a rejection from UWashington... do you suppose they automatically sent you a rejection because of your residency status? Just curious if I should be looking in the mail yet for an ugly letter.

I had to do this when I started grad school at UW. It's not hard to do -- they don't care whether or not you're independent of your parents, just whether you have lived in the state for more than 12 months. Copies of your lease, bank account, and driver's license will prove this. Like others have said, it's just another hoop.

Gick,

I talked to Myla in the admissions office and she said not to worry that the residence classifications wouldn't go through until later...we'll still be in good shape for screening when our certifications are complete.

Waiting is difficult, but hang in there.

Laurie

OK - So now it's getting to be time when our apps should be processed. Has anyone had any luck?

Laurie:

I emailed Robert Rhodes last week, and he said, contrary to what he told me earlier, that they don't even begin reviewing Residency Certifications until the middle of this month.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Yes, that does suck! When you do get certified, put a post on this forum. I'll do the same. That way we have an idea of when it's actually moving along.

Laurie

Gick and others,

I just got an email from Robert asking for some additional info. Just thought I'd let you know. Here's hoping we all get processed quickly.

:) Laurie

Laurie:

I just checked my UWSOM status page again and it no longer says that my Residency Certification is missing. So I emailed the admissions office to get clarification. I'll let you know what they say.

Gick,

I've been certified! Yeah! It sounds like you have too. Let's cross our fingers that we get processed and invited to interview. Let me know how things go for you.

Laurie

LAURIE:

How do you know you're certified? I emailed to question and I didn't get any response!

-Thanks!

Oh, and congrats on getting done with the process!

I'm glad the want a formal certification, you harldly sound like a permenant resident, in fact, I would bet you moved their just so you could say that bull **** that you were a resident. Would you be so bold as to tell where you moved from and why you chose to move to Washington? Thats why people pay state taxes, so the in-state students can have a place to go to school.