Ze Foreign Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kernel

OSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so slap me and bump the thread if this has already been discussed...

Does anyone plan to/know about/having anything to say about practicing medicine OUTSIDE the US? I'm not talking about peace corps, more like, oh, Europe?

I that it is difficult (impossible?) for those who obtained degrees outside the US to be recognized as MDs here, but what about the other way around?

Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

just curious? or are you looking to go there to make some dough, haha

I know you can get MDs recognized in northern europe, but you need to display fluency in national languages. If you're an established physician who's been practicing awhile, you can get it recognized fairly quickly and without jumping through too many hoops, but for newer physicians you need to take some classes and exams to get recognized. Sweden and Finland work like this. Norway, to my knowledge, allways makes you do a residency period. No idea about the Danish.

I've several times heard of American doctors going to the UK to work. Don't know the specifics of how one goes about it though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so slap me and bump the thread if this has already been discussed...

Does anyone plan to/know about/having anything to say about practicing medicine OUTSIDE the US? I'm not talking about peace corps, more like, oh, Europe?

I that it is difficult (impossible?) for those who obtained degrees outside the US to be recognized as MDs here, but what about the other way around?

Just curious...
well do you mean more civilized/less impoverished nations like the UK or eastern european countries like Ukraine? It depends tremendously on the status of the country and how well trained THEIR physicians are, imo. I would venture a guess and say that you could get a job practicing as a physician in any country outside of the US but that you may not have luck practicing in ideal locations in those countries.

I was thinking western Europe (France, Germany...) but I think eastern Europe could be really, really interesting. Money isn't very high on my priority list as far as that goes. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about Europe, and I'm also interested in learning more about their healthcare.

well do you mean more civilized/less impoverished nations like the UK or eastern european countries like Ukraine? It depends tremendously on the status of the country and how well trained THEIR physicians are, imo. I would venture a guess and say that you could get a job practicing as a physician in any country outside of the US but that you may not have luck practicing in ideal locations in those countries.

The unequal quality of health services in European states is not due to inadequacy in education of physicians, but is due to lack of funds. E.g. compare certain regions of Central Asia before and after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Kind of went from being over-all a poor nation with excellent health care to being over-all poor/very poor with extremely poor health care. It is tragic. I first found out about it when the BBC made their presentation on how over 100 people (mostly children I think) were infected with HIV in hospitals due to the reusing of syringes - not the needle but the cartridge/reservoir area or whatever its called. They did it to save a bit of money... the average physician's national/public salary there is $100/month.

On the other hand, the poorer states are probably most afflicted by brain-drain and so there probably would be a higher demand for learned individuals in those states relative to the wealthier ones.

I suppose the best source to find the OP's answer would be government websites from the states he or she is interested in.

Last edited: