Zero research Would I be ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thangbill

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have not done research in undergrad but got in a research-heavy school. I am very interested in doing hiv research in med school, but wonder if it is doable to start from scratch.

1. Has anyone been in the same shoes? If so, is it doable?
2. Is research really difficult for a beginner?
3. Would the research faculty guide me at first or expect me to already have some basic skills?
4. How do you balance study and research in med school?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what types of research you are looking for. I am of the opinion that wet lab research has a steep learning curve, requiring mastery of various laboratory techniques. Either way, as long as you show initiatives and interests, PIs are quite receptive to medical students. And importantly, you learn by doing, and sometimes even if you have learnt the subjects in school (stats is a prime example), you still would have no clue what you are doing when you need to use it. Therefore, I would advise approaching any researcher you are interested in and being candid. It is extremely important to disclose what you know and what you wish to gain.

As for the timing of research, most students do some sort of research in the summer between M1 and M2. Alternatively, you could look for research projects during your clerkship in M3. Some people are able to manage research during school year in M1/2 though this is not recommended, especially if the research requires you to be present in the lab regularly.

Reactions: 1 users