Zero shadowing, but otherwise strong application. Should I shadow?

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
That's my position. I'm working as a scribe, so I have no lack of exposure to what doctors do, but it's in orthopedic surgery which I've heard some schools may look down on. I have decent stats (BCPM 3.87, cGPA 3.81, sharp upswing, MCAT 130/131/130/129), a ton of research experience, and 3 publications (first author on one). I'm 26 and a career changer, and I have a few experiences (journalism-related) that I expect very, very few other applicants this cycle can talk about. My application is very research oriented with a focus on global health, and I was open about this goal in every secondary application.

In light of all that (and the 9 interview invitations I've gotten so far), things look pretty good, but I've learned to not take anything for granted in this process. Should I find a physician to shadow and update the schools about it, just to be on the safe side?

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
That's my position. I'm working as a scribe, so I have no lack of exposure to what doctors do, but it's in orthopedic surgery which I've heard some schools may look down on. I have decent stats (BCPM 3.87, cGPA 3.81, sharp upswing, MCAT 130/131/130/129), a ton of research experience, and 3 publications (first author on one). I'm 26 and a career changer, and I have a few experiences (journalism-related) that I expect very, very few other applicants this cycle can talk about. My application is very research oriented with a focus on global health, and I was open about this goal in every secondary application.

In light of all that (and the 9 interview invitations I've gotten so far), things look pretty good, but I've learned to not take anything for granted in this process. Should I find a physician to shadow and update the schools about it, just to be on the safe side?
Doesnt that answer your own freaking question? Only 20% of matriculating students receive 6 or more interview invites which imply less than 10%, more likley under 5% of applicants do......

Reactions: AttemptingScholar

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have 9 IIs, I'd say no. If you somehow get rejected from all of them, then do a day or two or shadowing before reapplying next cycle, but I doubt that will be necessary.

About the Ads
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You don't need to shadow if you've been a scribe. You're already shadowing.

Just my opinion, some may say you should get a little exposure to something non-surgical.

Edit: then I read the second half of your post. You're fine. Schools will be annoyed at an update that you've shadowed.

OP
Anonimus.Maximus

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Doesnt that answer your own freaking question? Only 20% of matriculating students receive 6 or more interview invites which imply less than 10%, more likley under 5% of applicants do......
Point taken. I actually didn't know that 20% statistic you cited. Where did you get it, if I may ask?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Govols22

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Spends time talking about how lack of shadowing may hurt his application...

Then brings up how he already has 9 IIs before September...

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Spends time talking about how lack of shadowing may hurt his application...

Then brings up how he already has 9 IIs before September...
I think they call that a humble brag. My Dad used to call something else that my Mom once said was a cross between a donkey and the opening to a mine shaft

OP
Anonimus.Maximus

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think they call that a humble brag. My Dad used to call something else that my Mom once said was a cross between a donkey and the opening to a mine shaft
I also could be abnormally neurotic and looking for ways things could go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, someone on /r/PreMed thought that I should get some shadowing, so I wanted to ask people who actually know this process.

Govols22

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I also could be abnormally neurotic and looking for ways things could go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, someone on /r/PreMed thought that I should get some shadowing, so I wanted to ask people who actually know this process.
You have 9 IIs. You're good. No worries.

Reactions: Driven_Docta

kopftonmd

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Think of it this way: if you're enough of a wacko/dingus/whatever to blow 9 interviews, having next to no shadowing is probably not your most important problem...

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads