Zero shadowing, but otherwise strong application. Should I shadow?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That's my position. I'm working as a scribe, so I have no lack of exposure to what doctors do, but it's in orthopedic surgery which I've heard some schools may look down on. I have decent stats (BCPM 3.87, cGPA 3.81, sharp upswing, MCAT 130/131/130/129), a ton of research experience, and 3 publications (first author on one). I'm 26 and a career changer, and I have a few experiences (journalism-related) that I expect very, very few other applicants this cycle can talk about. My application is very research oriented with a focus on global health, and I was open about this goal in every secondary application.

In light of all that (and the 9 interview invitations I've gotten so far), things look pretty good, but I've learned to not take anything for granted in this process. Should I find a physician to shadow and update the schools about it, just to be on the safe side?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
That's my position. I'm working as a scribe, so I have no lack of exposure to what doctors do, but it's in orthopedic surgery which I've heard some schools may look down on. I have decent stats (BCPM 3.87, cGPA 3.81, sharp upswing, MCAT 130/131/130/129), a ton of research experience, and 3 publications (first author on one). I'm 26 and a career changer, and I have a few experiences (journalism-related) that I expect very, very few other applicants this cycle can talk about. My application is very research oriented with a focus on global health, and I was open about this goal in every secondary application.

In light of all that (and the 9 interview invitations I've gotten so far), things look pretty good, but I've learned to not take anything for granted in this process. Should I find a physician to shadow and update the schools about it, just to be on the safe side?

Doesnt that answer your own freaking question? Only 20% of matriculating students receive 6 or more interview invites which imply less than 10%, more likley under 5% of applicants do......

Reactions: 1 user

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you have 9 IIs, I'd say no. If you somehow get rejected from all of them, then do a day or two or shadowing before reapplying next cycle, but I doubt that will be necessary.

About the Ads
Oct 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You don't need to shadow if you've been a scribe. You're already shadowing.

Just my opinion, some may say you should get a little exposure to something non-surgical.

Edit: then I read the second half of your post. You're fine. Schools will be annoyed at an update that you've shadowed.

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Doesnt that answer your own freaking question? Only 20% of matriculating students receive 6 or more interview invites which imply less than 10%, more likley under 5% of applicants do......

Point taken. I actually didn't know that 20% statistic you cited. Where did you get it, if I may ask?

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Reactions: 2 users

Govols22

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Spends time talking about how lack of shadowing may hurt his application...

Then brings up how he already has 9 IIs before September...

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Spends time talking about how lack of shadowing may hurt his application...

Then brings up how he already has 9 IIs before September...

I think they call that a humble brag. My Dad used to call something else that my Mom once said was a cross between a donkey and the opening to a mine shaft

Reactions: 1 users

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think they call that a humble brag. My Dad used to call something else that my Mom once said was a cross between a donkey and the opening to a mine shaft

I also could be abnormally neurotic and looking for ways things could go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, someone on /r/PreMed thought that I should get some shadowing, so I wanted to ask people who actually know this process.

Govols22

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I also could be abnormally neurotic and looking for ways things could go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, someone on /r/PreMed thought that I should get some shadowing, so I wanted to ask people who actually know this process.

You have 9 IIs. You're good. No worries.

kopftonmd

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Think of it this way: if you're enough of a wacko/dingus/whatever to blow 9 interviews, having next to no shadowing is probably not your most important problem...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.