jkdoctor

5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2013
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Larkin Health Sciences Campus, LLC. (LHSC) under its proposal to develop its related health sciences campus as a private University was awarded unanimous approval by the COMMUNITY ZONING APPEALS BOARD 15 of South Dade in a 4-0 vote.

The next step is to move forward with a site plan development and then to submit construction plans for the first phase of our development. Phase 1 of construction is planned to begin in the Summer of 2014 and be completed in the Fall of 2016. Phase 1 will include the College of Pharmacy, School of Nursing, College of Biomedical Sciences and College of Osteopathic Medicine.

More here:
http://larkinhospital.com/site/2013/11/university_zoning/

SurgeDO

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Larkin Health Sciences Campus, LLC. (LHSC) under its proposal to develop its related health sciences campus as a private University was awarded unanimous approval by the COMMUNITY ZONING APPEALS BOARD 15 of South Dade in a 4-0 vote.

The next step is to move forward with a site plan development and then to submit construction plans for the first phase of our development. Phase 1 of construction is planned to begin in the Summer of 2014 and be completed in the Fall of 2016. Phase 1 will include the College of Pharmacy, School of Nursing, College of Biomedical Sciences and College of Osteopathic Medicine.

More here:
whoa...has COCA already approved a medical school at Larkin?

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
south florida does NOT need a new medical school. Miami, NSU, FAU, and FIU are more than enough.

Same case with VCOM-Auburn. Why open another 162 student per class school when another DO program is 100 miles away in the same state?

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The AOA match rate is already 78% and the Acgme match rate is 75%. This needs to end.

Reactions: Spikebd

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
But where will the people with 3.0/23s apply to?
how can you possibly scoff at my statements that competitiveness begins around 3.0/24 when so many new schools (like these) are opening?

even at LMU, people with 3.5/3.2/24, 3.4/3.1/24, 3.2/3.1/24, 3.7/22, 3.6/3.3/23, 3.37/3.0/24 etc have been getting ii's!

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
how can you possibly scoff at my statements that competitiveness begins around 3.0/24 when so many new schools (like these) are opening?

even at LMU, people with 3.4/3.1/24, 3.2/3.1/24, 3.7/22, 3.6/3.3/23, 3.37/3.0/24 etc have been getting ii's!
Some ppl, not all. If everyone with a 3.0/24 got into Lmu it wouldn't have matriculate stats higher than that.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The kicker is that its a For Profit school.

Good luck getting rotations in South Florida since theres already 4 in the area. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the stats are abysmally low for this school. But its cool guys, Miami Dade needs primary care docs!!!!???!!!! They said they want to focus on recruiting URMs :rolleyes:

Can't wait for 2016 when people who matriculate to Larkins comes on to SDN and tells us how we're all just haters and that the school is solid, even before classes begin.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension

More here:

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wonder how NSU feels about this school, since it's going to be taking a chunk of their rotation sites with it...

Opening tons of new schools is bad enough, but opening them in state that are already densely packed with med schools is worse.

Alaska
Delaware
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming

These states have zero med schools. Might be a good place to start. Several more have only private schools or only one school.

Oh yeah, and Congress, more residency finding plz.

cbtk18

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student

even at LMU, people with 3.5/3.2/24, 3.4/3.1/24, 3.2/3.1/24, 3.7/22, 3.6/3.3/23, 3.37/3.0/24 etc have been getting ii's!
What does "getting ii's" mean?

Socrates25

7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Yay! another joke DO school, what else is new....

I believe there's another joke clown school out there called the "Palm Beach Medical College" that is trying to get accredited by the LCME

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
What does "getting ii's" mean?
II = interview invite. You may now facepalm. (jk...)

Yay! another joke DO school, what else is new....

I believe there's another joke clown school out there called the "Palm Beach Medical College" that is trying to get accredited by the LCME
They haven't released any new info on PBMC in quite a while. I remember reading about them when I was applying, but haven't heard a peep in a couple years. I don't even see a website anymore.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Some ppl, not all. If everyone with a 3.0/24 got into Lmu it wouldn't have matriculate stats higher than that.
Opening 3-4 DO schools in the next 3 years with 150+ matriculated students will make 3.1 and 22-23 competitive. Now I would say competitiveness starts at 3.2 c/sGPA and 25 MCAT.

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Opening 3-4 DO schools in the next 3 years with 150+ matriculated students will make 3.1 and 22-23 competitive. Now I would say competitiveness starts at 3.2 c/sGPA and 25 MCAT.
Remind me to come back and scowl at this. Also to be sickened by the notion that any about a 3.0/23 being competitive.

Reactions: touchpause13

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Remind me to come back and scowl at this. Also to be sickened by the notion that any about a 3.0/23 being competitive.
I will....You don't think there is a possibility that can happen if more DO schools are opening at this alarming rate that we are seeing these days. About 6-7 years ago KYCOM and WVSOM had 21-22 average MCAT; therefore, many were getting in these schools with less than 20 MCAT and they become physicians.

Last edited:

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
here are some examples from this cycle, FWIW:

3.18/3.22/27: THIRTEEN ii's, 3 acceptances so far
3.13/2.90/27: 4 ii's, 2 acceptances so far (ACOM, LMU)
3.0/3.0/27: 3 ii's, 1 acceptance (ACOM)
2.9/2.7/27: accepted LUCOM
3.25/3.2/26: 5 interviews, 1 acceptance so far (ACOM)
3.36/3.0/25: accepted ACOM
3.43/24: accepted WVSOM, ii LECOM-SH
3.4/3.1/24: 2 ii's
3.2/3.1/24: ii LMU
3.37/3.0/24: accepted LMU
3.8/3.9/23: 6 ii, 4 acceptances (OU, LMU, LUCOM, ACOM)
3.56/3.70/23: 5 interviews, 2 acceptances (PCOM-Ga, LUCOM)
3.67/3.36/23: 5 interviews, 1 acceptance so far (WVSOM)
3.6/3.3/23: 2 ii's, accepted LUCOM
3.84/3.74/22: 2 ii's, 1 acceptance so far (LUCOM)
3.6/3.7/22: ii MUCOM
3.3/22: accepted WVSOM, interview at LUCOM
3.7/3.5/21: accepted WVSOM (non-urm from NJ)

Last edited:

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 29, 2013
Status
What a delightful list of made-up stats. Well done.

also, the average scores of your underdawgs are 3.42/3.52/24 ....

3.2 is not competitive. Not even when you are exaggerating to make your point.

Last edited:

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Palm Beach Medical is unlikely to move at this point. As Neuro says, there hasn't been any news about it for a long time. The LCME is actually a competent organization and knows what schools will represent medicine in a positive light. COCA will allow any school forward with, as has been said here "A dollar and a dream".

I also thought it would be for-profit but someone posted an article saying it don't be.
The hospital and it's group is For Profit
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl/larkin-community-hospital-6390993

However, they want non-profit status for "favorable aid", but probably to avoid the scrutiny that RVU has endured and allow the school to move further. Even though it is non-profit, I would be very hesitant about the school. The number one thing is why does a for profit, private hospital want to open a medical school and yet another pharmacy school to further the current glut of pharm grads? I doubt for-profit organizations open up non-profit schools because they want to make the world a better place :rolleyes:

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
What a delightful list of made-up stats. Well done.

also, the average scores of your underdawgs are 3.42/3.52/24 ....

3.2 is not competitive. Not even when you are exaggerating to make your point.
I will believe that when I see 3.2/3.2/24 applicants applying to 20 schools and getting 0 invites.

You are crazy if you don't at least think 3.2/3.2/27 is competitive. Otherwise how is this good enough for THIRTEEN ii's?

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 29, 2013
Status
those stats dont even put you in the top half of the underdogs that you "cited". Do you understand the meaning of competitive?
and as far as your 13 ii's.... what source do you have to back that up? even if it is true, n=1.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
Palm Beach Medical is unlikely to move at this point. As Neuro says, there hasn't been any news about it for a long time. The LCME is actually a competent organization and knows what schools will represent medicine in a positive light. COCA will allow any school forward with, as has been said here "A dollar and a dream".

The hospital and it's group is For Profit
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/fl/larkin-community-hospital-6390993

However, they want non-profit status for "favorable aid", but probably to avoid the scrutiny that RVU has endured and allow the school to move further. Even though it is non-profit, I would be very hesitant about the school. The number one thing is why does a for profit, private hospital want to open a medical school and yet another pharmacy school to further the current glut of pharm grads? I doubt for-profit organizations open up non-profit schools because they want to make the world a better place :rolleyes:
Very true.

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
those stats dont even put you in the top half of the underdogs that you "cited". Do you understand the meaning of competitive?
and as far as your 13 ii's.... what source do you have to back that up? even if it is true, n=1.
I have pored through the underdogs' thread in pre-osteo, school specific threads, and mdapplicants. We can argue over what is "competitive" and what is not, but when a majority of low 3.X GPA's and 24-25 MCAT applicants are getting acceptances, it is hard to call those poor stats.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have pored through the underdogs' thread in pre-osteo, school specific threads, and mdapplicants. We can argue over what is "competitive" and what is not, but when a majority of low 3.X GPA's and 24-25 MCAT applicants are getting acceptances, it is hard to call those poor stats.
User3 is a proponent of teach the alternative theory of statistics.

Reactions: touchpause13

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 29, 2013
Status

Its actually really easy to call them poor statistics, considering that the average acceptance scores at SGU in the carribean are 3.34/28.

In no universe does "competitive" mean "well below average"

Why don't you wait til you graduate from your undergrad before you post in the medical student forums?

NontradCA

American Hero
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2012
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
:vomit:

Haxx

A strong whimperative.
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think I'm just going to stop opening any thread that is about a new school or DO school competitiveness. It's just a bunch of pricks arguing about things that have no bearing on the OP's original topic.

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 29, 2013
Status
I think I'm just going to stop opening any thread that is about a new school or DO school competitiveness. It's just a bunch of pricks arguing about things that have no bearing on the OP's original topic.
yea there is a pattern in the last 25 threads or so. "xxCOM approved for 201x", then the same 5 users come in, gather around their dead horses and start beating away until someone post something stupid and the thread derails.

Reactions: InGen
May 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Viva la capitalism......if the school can produce grads that pass boards and compete for residency then more power to them
Not sure if srs. If so, pls go.

This is a joke. New medical schools in this environment are a joke. Also, 100+ class sizes at these places? Why? Wtf? My school has just over a 100 students now, and do you know why? It's because they have just over 100 PGY-1 slots. How do schools without a pot to piss in continue to get approved for ridiculous numbers of students? It saturates EVERYTHING.

I know we talk about how DO schools don't get tiered, but the truth of the matter is that may well start to become more prevalent if we continue to get 5 new DO schools in two years time. I promise you a program director knows what Michigan State or Oklahoma State is. They don't know wtf a Larkin is. It sounds like a flightless bird. It probably will be.

Reactions: victoriah

GUH

Underdawg
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern US
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'll believe that standards are falling when you demonstrate that average matriculant MCAT scores are falling. To the contrary, scores have continued to rise steadily.

If you're worried about a lack of residency positions for DO's, then you should advocate for expanded osteopathic GME.

Reactions: sb247

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'll believe that standards are falling when you demonstrate that average matriculant MCAT scores are falling. To the contrary, scores have continued to rise steadily.

If you're worried about a lack of residency positions for DO's, then you should advocate for expanded osteopathic GME.
An expanding mass of family practice residencies in Wyoming benefit no one.

GUH

Underdawg
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern US
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tell that to pretty much anyone who knows anything about the current state of primary care physician availability, particularly in rural areas.

And applicants who can't stand even the thought of doing FP should probably not choose the DO route anyways.

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Not sure if srs. If so, pls go.

This is a joke. New medical schools in this environment are a joke. Also, 100+ class sizes at these places? Why? Wtf? My school has just over a 100 students now, and do you know why? It's because they have just over 100 PGY-1 slots. How do schools without a pot to piss in continue to get approved for ridiculous numbers of students? It saturates EVERYTHING.

I know we talk about how DO schools don't get tiered, but the truth of the matter is that may well start to become more prevalent if we continue to get 5 new DO schools in two years time. I promise you a program director knows what Michigan State or Oklahoma State is. They don't know wtf a Larkin is. It sounds like a flightless bird. It probably will be.
I do mean it, an artificial cap on numbers is contrary to any supply/demand model of economics

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I do mean it, an artificial cap on numbers is contrary to any supply/demand model of economics
Considering this is all tied to the ease of availability of government backed loans, this isn't an area where free market exists.

Reactions: HandsomeRob

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
To be fair it benefits people in Wyoming.

Shoot the town I live in would love more primary care docs. We have no OBGYNs period and 1 IM who gets booked at minimum 3 months in advance (I know I make his schedule)

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 29, 2013
Status
Considering this is all tied to the ease of availability of government backed loans, this isn't an area where free market exists.
I think the ^ post was referring to "economics" in regard to the supply of med school applicants in regard to seats in med schools. As long as there is an oversupply of people who will apply, schools will open.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
True, I wonder how it would be if Grad Plus loans never existed and only the stafford loans with its cap did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk