Zoology or Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuyukachoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some people's opinion on these two classes were. I need to choose one for next semester and I'd rather take the tougher one while I have easier electives to finish than later on when I'm killing myself with calc and physics. Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Never took ZOO, but from what I heard sounds boring to me. Identifying animals sounds? Micro was alright.

I never took zoology myself, but I heard it wasn't all that bad. I really liked micro, but there is a lot memorization involved, so I would say that it might be the harder one of your two choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never take zoology either, but I've taken micro and LOVED it. It's definitely a lot of material, but, to me, it was really interesting. It's also helped me in several of my other classes. So yeah, micro would be my recommendation too.

The only reason I'm even considering it is because my pre-med advisor said animal physiology would help more with the MCAT than anatomy and physiology, and zoology is a prereq. for that class.

micro is really interesting, you learn a lot about diversity of microbes.

zoo I loved too, and you learn about all kinds of crazy animals. There is a lot of taxonomy though... I liked being able to go outside and name any random animal down to class or order, but I'm weird, so...

I like learning more about diseases than normal processes, so Micro was more down my alley. I took an animal phys class as well, which was cool too. We covered basic stuff like CNS, kidneys, livers, etc. etc. which are all things that translate pretty well into the human realm/MCAT stuff.

My $0.02 is to take Micro, but that's just where my heart lies.