Zoom interviews for the cycle opening this summer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1077394

Hi,

I am planning to apply mostly DO with possibly a few MD schools thrown in in June 2021 for hopeful entry in 2022.

I am saving and figuring out my budget for the cycle.

Have any of you heard if interviews will still be remote this fall? (That would save me money on flights and hotels, so I'd be able to apply to more schools. I barely missed the cutoff for FAP and am trying to plan ahead.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to DO schools, but most of the MD schools I interviewed at seemed like they were planning to return to in-person interviews when it's safe to do so. At least, if they are planning on keeping interviews virtual this year, they did not express such plans at the time I interviewed.
Of course, everything comes down to how the pandemic turns out from here. If the situation persists, for which there is a high possibility, I can see interviews remaining virtual next year too.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak to DO schools, but most of the MD schools I interviewed at seemed like they were planning to return to in-person interviews when it's safe to do so. At least, if they are planning on keeping interviews virtual this year, they did not express such plans at the time I interviewed.
Of course, everything comes down to how the pandemic turns out from here. If the situation persists, for which there is a high possibility, I can see interviews remaining virtual next year too.

Thank you for your response.

I noticed your acceptances in your signature. Congratulations and best of luck to you! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I have heard a few schools talk about keeping it virtual because of the cost saved for the applicants, but once big-name schools make a decision a majority of schools will follow suit. I would not expect to see decisions about the next cycle until late summer, but I would save as if you needed to have in-person interviews.

Hi,

I am planning to apply mostly DO with possibly a few MD schools thrown in in June 2021 for hopeful entry in 2022.

Have any of you heard if interviews will still be remote this fall? (That would save me money on flights and hotels, so I'd be able to apply to more schools. I barely missed the cutoff for FAP and am trying to plan ahead.)

Thanks!
Nobody knows. It's still too early to figure out the direction of the pandemic

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Thanks!
At 80% of applicants have to be rejected or held prior to interviews, So I wouldnt let fear of interview costs stop you applying to more schools

Hi,

Thanks!
I have personally been a cynic in this department, just a month ago firmly believing that government efforts to roll out vaccines would be slower than projected given when the current administration inherited. On the contrary, however, just this morning the Biden administration announced we are on track to have everyone vaccinated by the end of May.

While I am still skeptical - as the next stage in rollout will be scaling up our already thinly-spread medical personnel and potentially expanding the number of those who can give vaccines or brining in the military for distribution - even if this plan is delayed by a month or two months, in-person interviews may still be a thing this coming cycle at some schools. Any longer of a delay and schools will need to start interviews virtual in early-mid august.

Once they start virtual, they will finish virtual (or evaluate all virtual candidates prior to moving forward with scheduling in-person interviews in order to prevent unfair comparisons). Not sure how that will work for non-rolling schools.

Reactions: 1 user
At 80% of applicants have to be rejected or held prior to interviews, So I wouldnt let fear of interview costs stop you applying to more schools

True, at least with respect to applications. The problem for some comes when they are lucky enough to receive lots of IIs and they just cannot afford to take them all. I've seen that happen, and it SUCKS to have to give up opportunities due to money. This is why it really would be great if schools would see their way clear to making virtual interviews permanent, but, since it is pretty clearly not in their interest to do so, I'm not holding my breath.

I have personally been a cynic in this department, just a month ago firmly believing that government efforts to roll out vaccines would be slower than projected given when the current administration inherited. On the contrary, however, just this morning the Biden administration announced we are on track to have everyone vaccinated by the end of May.

While I am still skeptical - as the next stage in rollout will be scaling up our already thinly-spread medical personnel and potentially expanding the number of those who can give vaccines or brining in the military for distribution - even if this plan is delayed by a month or two months, in-person interviews may still be a thing this coming cycle at some schools. Any longer of a delay and schools will need to start interviews virtual in early-mid august.

Once they start virtual, they will finish virtual (or evaluate all virtual candidates prior to moving forward with scheduling in-person interviews in order to prevent unfair comparisons). Not sure how that will work for non-rolling schools.
Not exactly, but close. They are claiming to have enough vaccine supply for all adults who want them by the end of May. The logistics of actually getting them into arms is TBD, because that will probably involve getting vaccines out to thousands of individual pharmacies, and then into arms.

Then, only the sizable minority of anti-vaxxers stand between us and herd immunity, and while people hope that riddle will be solved sooner rather than later, nobody really knows yet. Also TBD is what the country will look like in June/July, which will surely determine whether schools give us one last break before going back to in-person for 2022-23. We can only hope at this point. The one thing I can promise everyone is that the whole country will not be vaccinated by 5/31/21.

True, at least with respect to applications. The problem for some comes when they are lucky enough to receive lots of IIs and they just cannot afford to take them all. I've seen that happen, and it SUCKS to have to give up opportunities due to money. This is why it really would be great if schools would see their way clear to making virtual interviews permanent, but, since it is pretty clearly not in their interest to do so, I'm not holding my breath.
But not applying to more schools based on an unrealistic fear that you will get so many interviews you wont be able to afford to go to them all is just a bizarre mix of optimism and fear rolled in one premed OCD moment. At least that is the gist of what I understood the OP was referring to.

• Love
  • Haha
But not applying to more schools based on an unrealistic fear that you will get so many interviews you wont be able to afford to go to them all is just a bizarre mix of optimism and fear rolled in one premed OCD moment. At least that is the gist of what I understood the OP was referring to.
I am not so certain for some applicants it is optimism and OCD. Looking at the AAMC matriculant survey, 30% of matriculants get 6 or more interviews and half get 4 or more interviews. If you are going west coast to east coast then you may need to spend two nights depending on the city you live in. That can come out to close to $600-$1000 per interview for many folks, and it is reasonable for people to know who they are if they are confident in their self assessment. This process is expensive and once again it sucks to be a Californian.

Yeah, I agree, but I also think you read a little too much into it. I can't speak for OP, but I just read it as he was applying and was looking for a heads-up on virtual vs. live due to his money situation. I didn't see any implication that he was thinking about limiting applications based on the answer.

I am not so certain for some applicants it is optimism and OCD. Looking at the AAMC matriculant survey, 30% of matriculants get 6 or more interviews and half get 4 or more interviews. If you are going west coast to east coast then you may need to spend two nights depending on the city you live in. That can come out to close to $600-$1000 per interview for many folks, and it is reasonable for people to know who they are if they are confident in their self assessment. This process is expensive and once again it sucks to be a Californian.
It makes no sense to limit your chances over a potential issue which could be dealt with by turning them down. It is ridiculous to not do something over a possible problem that may never occur.

Reactions: 3 users
It makes no sense to limit your chances over a potential issue which could be dealt with by turning them down. It is ridiculous to not do something over a possible problem that may never occur.

Actually that is exactly what was said

“That would save me money on flights and hotels, so I'd be able to apply to more schools”

And now I'll switch it up a little and defend @gonnif! :) I am pretty sure that what he is saying is that unless and until you receive IIs, it is foolish to limit applications based on maybe not being able to attend them all, since such a large percentage of applicants are screened out pre-II at each and every school.

Actually that is exactly what was said

“That would save me money on flights and hotels, so I'd be able to apply to more schools”
Nice catch! I missed that, and don't even have lack of eyeglasses as an excuse!!! :)

And now I'll switch it up a little and defend @gonnif! :) I am pretty sure that what he is saying is that unless and until you receive IIs, it is foolish to limit applications based on maybe not being able to attend them all, since such a large percentage of applicants are screened out pre-II at each and every school.
What if your top choice offers you an interview in February but you already spent all of your cash attending other interviews? Yes, it is a big what if. But it is a problem resolved by having a well tailored school list that factors in these possibilities. Obviously in my example you take on a little bit of credit card debt, but still. It is something to consider when making a school list in my opinion.

What if your top choice offers you an interview in February but you already spent all of your cash attending other interviews? Yes, it is a big what if. But it is a problem resolved by having a well tailored school list that factors in these possibilities. Obviously in my example you take on a little bit of credit card debt, but still. It is something to consider when making a school list in my opinion.
What if you limit your schools and get NO. Interviews. Deal with one problem first. If you get more interviews, dont hesitate to ask the school for help. The worst they can do is say no instead of you saying it for them

I totally get it. I saw it happen one year where someone actually had to turn down a late II to Penn because of money. It happens. @gonnif's point, which is correct, is that none of us has any way to know, going in, where we will get IIs and where we won't.

It sounds obvious, but it bears repeating. If we knew, we wouldn't waste time or money applying anywhere where we weren't going to receive an II, or an A for that matter. So sure, in hindsight, you'd apply to less schools in order to have money to take the February II, but, at the outset, you have no way to know that the dream school II will ever come, and that the schools you knock out wouldn't have ended up being your best option.

I know it's tough to hear, but, whether you need to use credit cards, parents, student loans, or a part time job, I'd look at this sort of like a business endeavor. No one who knew what they were doing would under capitalize a new business, which is a recipe for failure. Same here.

Even if you have to delay for a year (which I did last year for different reasons) I would not start this without knowing I had enough money to see it through, which means having enough money to submit every application that it makes sense to submit, and taking every II I was fortunate enough to receive.

JMHO, but, ideally, you want to do this once, and want to maximize your likelihood of success. Running out of money before being able to interview at your top choice to me would be like running out of money right before your business was about to hit it big. You'll spend the rest of your life wondering "What If?".

What if you limit your schools and get NO. Interviews. Deal with one problem first. If you get more interviews, dont hesitate to ask the school for help. The worst they can do is say no instead of you saying it for them
Nice idea, but, in my limited experience, these requests fall on deaf ears in the real world if you are not a FAP recipient. Especially late IIs, which mean you are not exactly at the top of their pile, and are not exactly irreplaceable by someone who does not need to tap into their budget to pay for a flight, ground transportation, and maybe room and board for a day and night.

I know some schools have budgets for this, but isn't it usually for URMs or low SES candidates? If exceptions are made, are they made for people who were deemed ineligible for FAP by AAMC? I've never seen it, but, then again, I don't have your experience! But, is it a real possibility, or just a "you never know until you ask" Hail Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.