Navy Medicine - part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarymd

SDN Angel
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was stationed in Guantanamo, I was selected for Critical Care Fellowship. I managed to find a spot at a civilian institution.

At the time when I was going into training, board certification examination for CCM in anesthesia is offered only every 2 years, and based on my PCS date from Cuba, I would miss my examination opportunity by 7 days, and would have to wait 2 years before I could sit for the exam.

I was Board certified in anesthesia already, so I was getting BC pay already. A second board would not increase my pay, but it would benefit the Navy, because the intention was for me to be 1 of 3 or 4 CCM anestehsia guys to be located at one of the anesthesia training locations.

BC in CCM would help the residencyies in RRC status....so it benefits the Navy and not me to get me BC in CCM.

So I asked the detailer to change my PCS dates by a WHOPPING 14 DAYS. My relief was on board for 2 months already, so I thought 14 days should be ok.

Guess what the ******* i n g detailer and specialty advisor said????

They told me to take leave from Cuba, check into fellowship....take vacation from fellowship ..to go back to Cuba to check out....

That ways I can then sit for the Board.

What a bunch of lazy A S S H O L E S.....I said to myself "******* you all". I waited 2 years to take my CCM boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like The Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery is as pathetic and pitiful as the Air Force Medical Service. Makes you wonder how Navy Medicine stays afloat-someone needs to throw it a lifevest because it is obviously drowning.

My question is where was your command in all of this? Why didn't they go to bat for you? Your command could have (1) let you leave early and forward date your paperwork or (2) called the detailer directly and asked for a favor?

Didn't the Navy cut you orders and pick up the tab for your boards? When I took my boards the Navy paid for my travel, lodging and cost. All I had to do was supply them the dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:
My question is where was your command in all of this? Why didn't they go to bat for you? Your command could have (1) let you leave early and forward date your paperwork or (2) called the detailer directly and asked for a favor?

Didn't the Navy cut you orders and pick up the tab for your boards? When I took my boards the Navy paid for my travel, lodging and cost. All I had to do was supply them the dates.

The command said "That's too bad, it doesn't make any sense that the detailer won't change the PCS date"

The specialty advisor AND the detailer came up with the ASSININE plan.

I needed to leaver 2 weeks early to start my fellowship so that I finished in time to sit for the boards....this has nothing to do with pay for the boards or taking them.

One should not have to deal with all this B U L L S H I T. You have a chain of command that you follow....at least that is what I was taught at OIS....or is that not true....are there several rule books that we are supposed to learn.

The rule of kiss people's a s s who has more rank, so that you can bend the rules to the way you want it?

Stay the ******* out of the Navy if you know what is good for you.

Let the Navy contract civilian physicians for their care.

IgD said:

IgD,
You need to read the posts....all you do is defend the Navy, no matter how ridiculous the Navy is behaving....obviously you have stars in your eyes.

You have obviously bought into the dysfunctional, impaired system that rewards incompetence and ass kissing.

IgD said:
called the detailer directly and asked for a favor?

Ask for a favor?

Did you read my post? I DID NOT NEED to leave early to start my fellowship on time to sit for the boards.

I was board certified in my primary specialty already...I was getting BC pay already.

My second BC HELPs the Navy's training programs. I'm doing THEM a favor by reminding them of THEIR oversight in my PCS orders.

After one year in h ell, what's another 2 weeks?

IgD said:

I do know enough to ask: Just who is this guy, and where does he get these ideas about the military sticking up for anyone but it's own bureaucracy?!?
The eternal optimist? The naive FNG? The kid who WANTS to die for his country? I can't stop laughing when I read posts like this.
Sure, on one hand it is refreshing to see such motivation, and remembering my own "motarded-ness" when I was a brand new jarhead, freshmeat to my squadleaders... But on the other hand, it's painfully disturbing to see someone so blinded by the reality that although we do have the best military around, it is FAR from perfect, and horribly mismanaged, mishandled, misinformed...

nonlethal said:
I do know enough to ask: Just who is this guy, and where does he get these ideas about the military sticking up for anyone but it's own bureaucracy?!?
The eternal optimist? The naive FNG? The kid who WANTS to die for his country? I can't stop laughing when I read posts like this.
Sure, on one hand it is refreshing to see such motivation, and remembering my own "motarded-ness" when I was a brand new jarhead, freshmeat to my squadleaders... But on the other hand, it's painfully disturbing to see someone so blinded by the reality that although we do have the best military around, it is FAR from perfect, and horribly mismanaged, mishandled, misinformed...

I think he is a plant from BUMED :)

militarymd said:
I think he is a plant from BUMED :)

He's not a plant, just smoking one. :smuggrin:

Let me explain my rationale in more detail.

MilitaryMD initially claimed that he would not benefit from getting subspecialty board certification. When you see this kind of distortion its the clue to throw the B.S. flag. He would have benefitted in 2 huge ways. 1) The military would have reimbursed him thousands of dollars to take the test and 2) He would be able to use certificated to negotiate a higher salary after leaving military service.

Like I said there are good parts and parts about the military. I always make it a point to try to be objective and try to assess the situation as much as possible. I've found many times someone makes a mistake and instead of taking personal accountability they play the victim role. The problem with this thread is that we are only hearing one side of the story. It would be interesting to hear the prospective of the detailer, speciality leader and command.

IgD said:

MilitaryMD initially claimed that he would not benefit from getting subspecialty board certification. When you see this kind of distortion its the clue to throw the B.S. flag. He would have benefitted in 2 huge ways. 1) The military would have reimbursed him thousands of dollars to take the test and 2) He would be able to use certificated to negotiate a higher salary after leaving military service.

Like I said there are good parts and parts about the military. I always make it a point to try to be objective and try to assess the situation as much as possible. I've found many times someone makes a mistake and instead of taking personal accountability they play the victim role. The problem with this thread is that we are only hearing one side of the story. It would be interesting to hear the prospective of the detailer, speciality leader and command.

No, we are hearing both sides of the story; those from docs that have been there, and that side from you that has no credibility. There are still many many docs that have not separated yet, so please take a minute to call a few bases and see what primary care docs love the the current military health care system enough to stay in (ZERO).

IgD said:

For once I agree with you on something. :eek: It would be nice for at least one military medical official to address the issues raised in this forum. It would be nice to have an official explanation as to why the military medical experience results in such proctalgia for so many, and makes so many want to :barf:

IgD said:
1) The military would have reimbursed him thousands of dollars to take the test and
The test, although only offered every 2 years, is offered at multiple computer administered sites. For me, it was offered 60 miles from NMCP on a Saturday. I got reimbursed for the cost of the test + mileage to drive there....Where is the thousands of dollars you are talking about?

IgD said:
2) He would be able to use certificated to negotiate a higher salary after leaving military service.

I always intended to take my boards...whether it be immediately after my fellowship or 2 years....it made ABSOLUTELY no difference to me. The difference it made to the NAVY? I was THE anesthesia critical care staff at NMCP when the residency had its RRC....and I was not board certified...made the NMCP residency program look less presitigious than it needed to be.

It would have served the Navy right if we did not get accredited because of a lack of Board Certified Critical care staff.

I never intended to practice CCM in private practice....
and beside, with the anesthesia job market the way it is....All you have to be is an American grad and speak fluent English to get a higher salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:

Like I said, IgD is one of those people who blindly supports the Navy no matter what the facts are.

Here is the only fact that matters, a Captain in the Navy out right lied to me......I don't let my 7 year old lie, but it is OK? for a Captain to lie

Ask IgD, he 'll tell you that it is the right and privilege for a Captain to lie, and that is my fault for finding out about the lie and bringing it up.

IgD would tell you that you should just accept lies from Captains in the Navy, and just bend over and take it like a good little boy.

militarymd said:
Like I said, IgD is one of those people who blindly supports the Navy no matter what the facts are.

Here is the only fact that matters, a Captain in the Navy out right lied to me......I don't let my 7 year old lie, but it is OK? for a Captain to lie

Ask IgD, he 'll tell you that it is the right and privilege for a Captain to lie, and that is my fault for finding out about the lie and bringing it up.

IgD would tell you that you should just accept lies from Captains in the Navy, and just bend over and take it like a good little boy.

I was lied to so many times, it's hard to keep track of them all, just a few examples:

Lied to by USUHS, "We take care of our own", they said, then not even invited for an interview when I was applying as an active duty line officer.

Lied to by the AFSG in the letter informing me that I was being prevented from completing residency training: "You will be allowed to attend residency later during your GMO tour". Reality: Never selected for residency.

Lied to by AFPC Medical Education: "This is your year (for GME)." Never was my year.

militarymd said:

I don't agree with that at all. If I ever was the detailer I would be firm in my decisions but I would be direct and honest with the detailees. For example, if you told me that line about not wanting to go to Cuba because you were "afraid your clinical skills would waste away" I would called you out on that and told you that what was going to happen. If you demanded a 1 year tour, I would have informed you that it was going to be unaccompanied.

Reactions: 1 user
island doc said:
I was lied to so many times, it's hard to keep track of them all, just a few examples:

Lied to by USUHS, "We take care of our own", they said, then not even invited for an interview when I was applying as an active duty line officer.

Lied to by the AFSG in the letter informing me that I was being prevented from completing residency training: "You will be allowed to attend residency later during your GMO tour". Reality: Never selected for residency.

Lied to by AFPC Medical Education: "This is your year (for GME)." Never was my year.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there was a reason you were turned down for an interview and those residency positions? I knew someone once who had a stellar academic record but apparently had some problems with professional relationships. I knew that she had been turned down for a position. Some time later I learned what had happened. Several people had complained about her problems with professional relationships. Apparently she was blackballed as a result.

militarymd said:
The test, although only offered every 2 years, is offered at multiple computer administered sites. For me, it was offered 60 miles from NMCP on a Saturday. I got reimbursed for the cost of the test + mileage to drive there....Where is the thousands of dollars you are talking about?

My boards cost $2000. Besides that, I had to travel to a major city, stay in a nice hotel to take them. I assumed that you had to do the same.

I always intended to take my boards...whether it be immediately after my fellowship or 2 years....it made ABSOLUTELY no difference to me. The difference it made to the NAVY? I was THE anesthesia critical care staff at NMCP when the residency had its RRC....and I was not board certified...made the NMCP residency program look less presitigious than it needed to be.

I'm confused. Are you saying the prestige of being double boarded wouldn't help you in any way? Don't some institutions look for that when they hire someone for a special position like department head?

IgD said:
I don't agree with that at all. If I ever was the detailer I would be firm in my decisions but I would be direct and honest with the detailees. For example, if you told me that line about not wanting to go to Cuba because you were "afraid your clinical skills would waste away" I would called you out on that and told you that what was going to happen. If you demanded a 1 year tour, I would have informed you that it was going to be unaccompanied.

Damn, don't you read the posts? Or are you just set on defending the Navy...no matter what the facts are and no matter what is written?

I said I would take it up the ass myself in Cuba....THEN they proceed to tell me they needed to move my wife somewhere where i can't get to her AT ALL during my stay in Cuba....

They said that she was needed somewhere where no one else wanted to go....the same day they told a good friend of mine that the billet was filled.

I did not DEMAND an accompanied tour. My wife was active duty also. I asked why we could not have separate orders...LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE...

IgD said:
My boards cost $2000. Besides that, I had to travel to a major city, stay in a nice hotel to take them. I assumed that you had to do the same.

I'm confused. Are you saying the prestige of being double boarded wouldn't help you in any way? Don't some institutions look for that when they hire someone for a special position like department head?

You quote my post, and yet you don't read them. I HAD TO DRIVE 1 HOUR TO TAKE A BOARD ON A SATURDAY....I GOT MILEAGE.

THEY REIMBURSE YOU FOR THE COST OF THE BOARD....YOU DON'T MAKE MONEY.

I SAID I PLANNED ON TAKING THEM AT MY LEISURE. I HAD 5 YEARS OF OBLIGATION LEFT. I COULD TAKE THEM ANY TIME. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME.

IgD said:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe there was a reason you were turned down for an interview and those residency positions? I knew someone once who had a stellar academic record but apparently had some problems with professional relationships. I knew that she had been turned down for a position. Some time later I learned what had happened. Several people had complained about her problems with professional relationships. Apparently she was blackballed as a result.

I guess not being a gluteus maximus kisser got me blackballed :p .

GME should not be used as a system of reward or punishment. GME is to create an educated, knowlegeable, skillful, certified physician who provides medical care of unsurpassed quality, not to reward a "team player" for "good behavior". ALL physicians should have the benefit of GME before entering practice irregardless of the characterization of their "professional relationships". There are other avenues to deal with "unprofessional" behavior.

given that i'm just months from beginning my career in military (army radiology) medicine, i've been reading most of these threads - which can basically be summed up with the navy/af sucks vs. no you suck - trying to get an idea of what my life will be like for the next decade or so.

i'm wondering, are these issues largely confined to the navy and/or air force? are they just primary care issues (more of an af question)? maybe there are some army folks out there? or maybe you navy/af folks had friends and colleagues in the army who had different experiences.

also, how much of this rancor towards military medicine comes from not knowing what you were getting yourself into when you signed your life away? what i mean is, i've been associated with the army for my entire life, whether as a dependent, a cadet, or an officer, and absolutely nothing i've read hear is particularly surprising to me. maybe i'm too pessimistic, but it seems pretty standard for a bureaucracy the size of the dod. i'm wondering/guessing if the folks that have so much animosity because they didn't really know what it was like in the military??? or did folks go in with their eyes wide open and were still profoundly disappointed???

thanks...

colbgw02 said:
also, how much of this rancor towards military medicine comes from not knowing what you were getting yourself into when you signed your life away? what i mean is, i've been associated with the army for my entire life, whether as a dependent, a cadet, or an officer, and absolutely nothing i've read hear is particularly surprising to me. maybe i'm too pessimistic, but it seems pretty standard for a bureaucracy the size of the dod. i'm wondering/guessing if the folks that have so much animosity because they didn't really know what it was like in the military??? or did folks go in with their eyes wide open and were still profoundly disappointed???

thanks...

by far the majority of those i've met disenfrachised with the military are the people who had no earthly idea what was coming. i was prior ROTC, so i had a general idea of how the military operated, and i think i was relatively well prepared for what was coming. that being said, when i signed up for ROTC the world situation was far different, and when i signed up for HPSP i spoke with docs who had spent 8 years i one place, hadn't deployed, and loved what they were doing. needless to say, things have changed. it isn't the army i signed up for with HPSP, but at the same time i knew i wasn't joining the peace corps :) except for deployments, the peds side of military medicine is a rather happy place. we make similar pay as our civilian counterparts (except for subspecialties of course) and can shift our careers is different directions if the desire hits us.

the difference between services can't be stated enough. at one time the Navy was considering shutting down it's peds programs altogether and outsourcing it. they rarely train straight through, and in spite of congress' order, still use GMO's extensively. i'd be irritated too.

the Air Force i haven't had much contact with, however the FP and peds residents i've run across are also satisfied with their positions. no one likes the military red-tape and pain in the ass admin stuff, but people manage to get through it.

just my .02$. good luck in your rads career. :)

--your friendly neighborhood didn't take the R.O.A.D. to happiness caveman

, i've been associated with the army for my entire life, whether as a dependent, a cadet, or an officer, and absolutely nothing i've read hear is particularly surprising to me. maybe i'm too pessimistic, but it seems pretty standard for a bureaucracy the size of the dod. i'm wondering/guessing if the folks that have so much animosity because they didn't really know what it was like in the military??? or did folks go in with their eyes wide open and were still profoundly disappointed???

thanks...[/QUOTE]

I have been in the military in some form for over 1/2 of my life. The latter part as a physician. I have seen the navy through the eyes of an E-1 to midshipman to O-4. At this point, nothing really surprises me. I think the medical corps, in general, has less than average leaders when compared to the line counterparts. That will really screw up morale at a command. Some posters here have had poor leadership in the MC very high up in the chain of command and the brown stuff is rolling down hill, affecting the daily life of the active duty physicians. Optimizing... I saw the navy go from a 600 ship (late 80s) navy to whatever state it is in now. Lots of Os and Es left the service, many with less than fond memories of their active duty times. It hurts every community. Navy medicine has had a force reduction plan in place that keeps on rearing it's ugly head for almost a decade. Every time they talk about it, good physicians head for the door.

Most of my USNA alumni that did not go straight to medical school are reasonably happy with our choice. The difference is, we have been through other non-medical military crap, are used to being kicked around (screamers, i.e. leadership by volume), and don't have to do 20 years as a physician to retire.

island doc said:
I guess not being a gluteus maximus kisser got me blackballed :p .

GME should not be used as a system of reward or punishment. GME is to create an educated, knowlegeable, skillful, certified physician who provides medical care of unsurpassed quality, not to reward a "team player" for "good behavior". ALL physicians should have the benefit of GME before entering practice irregardless of the characterization of their "professional relationships". There are other avenues to deal with "unprofessional" behavior.

I'm not talking about brown nosing. In the case I mentioned above, the person's day to day interactions were so bad about 3 separate people independently of each other complained about it. GME isn't an entitlement. You have to earn it just like anything else.

militarymd said:
You quote my post, and yet you don't read them. I HAD TO DRIVE 1 HOUR TO TAKE A BOARD ON A SATURDAY....I GOT MILEAGE.

THEY REIMBURSE YOU FOR THE COST OF THE BOARD....YOU DON'T MAKE MONEY.

I SAID I PLANNED ON TAKING THEM AT MY LEISURE. I HAD 5 YEARS OF OBLIGATION LEFT. I COULD TAKE THEM ANY TIME. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME.

YOU MADE MONEY OFF THE EXAM BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET. YOU BENEFITTED FROM THE PRESTIGE AND POLITICAL CLOUT BEING DOUBLE BOARDED GIVES YOU. IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

militarymd said:
Damn, don't you read the posts? Or are you just set on defending the Navy...no matter what the facts are and no matter what is written?

I said I would take it up the ass myself in Cuba....THEN they proceed to tell me they needed to move my wife somewhere where i can't get to her AT ALL during my stay in Cuba....

They said that she was needed somewhere where no one else wanted to go....the same day they told a good friend of mine that the billet was filled.

I did not DEMAND an accompanied tour. My wife was active duty also. I asked why we could not have separate orders...LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE...

First you negotiated an accompanied tour by agreeing to stay in Cuba for 3 years. This wasn't just a normal accompanied tour - the detailer agreed to station your wife at the same place. Then you tried to be sneaky and decrease the length of your tour but keep it accompanied. It sounds like the detailer got irritated and gave you a dose of your own medicine.

You know what? IgD.

I'm done with reason and facts with you.

You are a mindless Navy brained washed drone.

I think everyone who has common sense who reads here would agree.

I will tell you this....The 2 detailers, one for me and the other for my wife, have made a life long MORTAL enemy.....me.....by being the dishonorable BASTARDS that they were.

I made a vow in 1997 that if given the opportunity, I will cause significant harm to these 2 people.....The emotions they evoke in me is undescribablle.

My blood is starting to boil as I type this.

These 2 people need to pray every night that they will never be in a situation where their well being is in my influcence in any way shape or form.

You can defend the Navy all you want.

I was honorable. I followed the rules. They lied and were dishonorable. I will harm them if the opportunity EVER presents itself to ME.

You, IgD, need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Just confirms what we already know: The military medical administration is chocked full of dishonest, crooked, egotists who make other peoples lives miserable.

Hi all,

So, here's the breakdown of what I've discovered so far about Navy HPSP:

- I was 'field selected' for this program based on my gpa/mcat scores;
- I am applying to med school in fall 2006
- I want to ultimately go into primary care and have a family
- I haven't signed anything yet, but this is what I know so far and would really like input from current military mds, etc.

So, for all other pre-meds out there, hopefully this helps:

The HPSP program: you apply, you get accepted, you are commisioned as an officer (O1 in whatever branch) and you go off to med school, you do 45 adt every year, you go to OIS, you owe year-for-year service; which as I understand it (for emergency medicine) from my recruiter is 1 GMO tour, followed by 3 yr military residency, and commitment would be 3 years (4 yr HPSP -1yr GMO tour).

So, the summary:

PROS: no med school debt, no worry about money in med school, military benefits (health insurance, dental, cheap stuff at the exchange, etc), pride/prestige of being a military officer, cheap housing, etc., no malpractice fees, you don't worry about patients paying you, your patients don't worry about filling scripts, your patients aren't insubordinate (because they are reported to their CO), paid to study for USMLE/boards, bonus for passing boards, specialty pay
PROS come down to money...

CONS: you owe years of your life, you could be deployed during GMO/Reserves, military training time, limited hospitals to work at (military/VA), Apparently some administrative issues (understaffing, etc), malpractice= time in the brig instead of lawsuit, did I miss some?

CONS come down to time and frustration...

So, here I am, trying to decide whether or not to do this... After all, I just want to practice medicine, earn enough money to make my family comfortable, and live in a nice area. I am not in the military at all-- I just know the system well because I happen to be dating a hospital corpsman. He regrets his decision to join up, but is glad that he has his license at the end of it all.

I have worked extensively in the civilian healthcare sector as an EMT, and I can tell you that I was astonished at the mismanagement there. In the ER I worked in, the management was fired, replaced, sued, and then fired again countless times. The country is in a healthcare crisis all around, so I doubt that issues earlier in this thread are unique to the military. I also spoke with military docs that seemed mixed about it. Some mentioned that no liability and obedient patients was the best. Some didn't like the constraints and rules.

Any thoughts? Hope this helps those of you in my position!
Also, any input about raising a family as a military doc????

~Corday

See one, do one, teach one.

oooohh ...this is a good one....I'm so freaking mad right now...I think I need to go blow something up.

oooohh ...this is a good one....I'm so freaking mad right now...I think I need to go blow something up.
MilitaryMD, who did you piss off? It sounds like you were beaten like a red-headed stepchild for most of your early career. Take deep breaths. In and out. In and out. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Navy. Somehow you must have had "Insert Shaft Here!" tatooed on your backside. I hope things are going better for you. :D

It does sound like your command failed you. With your relief already there, they could have worked it out to have you leave early.

MilitaryMD, who did you piss off? It sounds like you were beaten like a red-headed stepchild for most of your early career. Take deep breaths. In and out. In and out. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Navy. Somehow you must have had "Insert Shaft Here!" tatooed on your backside. I hope things are going better for you. :D

It does sound like your command failed you. With your relief already there, they could have worked it out to have you leave early.

things couldn't be better now...for anyone who has doubts...private practice is GREENER.....NO doubt about it.

As for the "insert shaft here" tattoo.....I know exactly why I got the shaft:

1) I followed the rules
2) I didn't complain
3) I honored my committment
4) everyone around me didn't do the above.