COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my interview at COMP. I like the program and the students. I was not turned off by the school. However, I did notice all of the security.

If you are going to COMP in Aug. where do you plan to live? (I was told not to live in Pomona.)

What do you think about the SAP and ISAP programs?

I hope to hear good news soon. How long did it take for you to hear?

Thanks,
Premed1

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend the following places around Pomona:

1. Diamond Bar
2. Claremont
3. Upland
4. San Dimas
5. Monrovia

I hope that helps!

------------------
Lee Burnett, DO
http://www.osteopathic.com

premed1--

I agree with the Doc's recommendation on places to live.

I heard from COMP right away (they mailed me an acceptance two days after my interview). Good luck and keep us posted.
Have you been accepted anywhere else? Or waiting to hear from anyone else?

JY

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Burnett,

What do you think about living in Montclair? Is the neighborhood nice? I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Diamond Bar recently and the town doesn't seem that bad. Quiet, but probably much safer than living in Pomona. How's the residency going?

Thanks,

EDGAR

Premed1 and JY,

How you guys doin'? Premed, I got my acceptance about 1-2 weeks after my interview. JY and my friend Gregory Gulick got their responses back much earlier. I interviewed very early in the season, in fact on October 8th. A person from admissions had later informed me that I was the first group of applicants to be interviewed and that they sent out acceptance letters quicker because obviously my group expressed a strong interest in attending COMP. I love the school, JY and Nicolas are going to be my classmates in the Class of 2003. We'd be very happy if you can join us next fall! Good luck my friend.

EDGAR

Edgar is right. My acceptance came about eight days later! It was postmarked two days after the interview. That's what I call fast! (I had to wait five weeks for my NSU acceptance).

sig1.gif

Hello, hello..everybody

premed1, I can totaly relate to your concerns: meaning that Pomona is not the best neighborhood. I was actually told so many bad things before I went that I almost didn't go to my interview. However after I went( probably the best decision of my life) and talked to some of the locals & the students at COMP, things didn't seem so bad any more - I loved the school, their program and ...CA. All you have to do is to live in a better/safer town. The way I see it, is that most med schools are in "gang" type neighborhoods anyway so at least go to one that you like - it's a shame but it's life so...Let us know if you are gone a be our ( me, Edgar & JY's ) classemate. Look forward hearing from you -
--Nicolas--
Western U. '03

Premed1,

Don't be too afraid of the neighborhood. It used to be a concern of mine also, but I talked to a 4th year student at the Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conference that COMP gave at UC Davis last year. He said that there really isn't any crime problems on-campus, he has only sometimes seen drunk people walk around near it. I actually feel quite safe on campus, because of the security and the fact that there are always people walking around. I agree with Nick that many good medical schools are in terrible neighborhoods (i.e. USC, Yale, Columbia, Penn). My mentor is a Penn graduate and he says he had to talk his way out of getting beat up a few times during medical school, since he'd walk through West Philly to get to class. COMP is an awesome medical school, don't let the neighborhood get to you. P.S., another quality osteopathic medical school I interviewed at, UHS, was also in a tough neighborhood. But the students there said that they always played basketball with the local "gangster" types and even frequented the local deli. Just don't pick a fight with people, and they will probably leave you alone!

EDGAR