The Official "Lessons Learned from MCAT Studying" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling very contemplative about by MCAT studying experience, so I've decided to summarize some of what I learned from the experience. I hope I'll be able to post this in 30+ MCAT tips above, but for know, it'll stay down here.

1. Believe in EK, but don't rely too much on Audio Osmosis

After sampling a bit of Kaplan, TPR, and EK, I have come to the conclusion that EK makes the best MCAT prep material, bar none. The books cover what you need to know, and are written in such a way that you will remember the material. However, don't go too nuts about Audio Osmosis. It's a great product, but it's not "complete MCAT preparation" as they boast on the CDs. It's good for going over material when you're walking to class or in the car, but it's not substitute for book studying and practice problem. It's worth buying however, because even though it's pricey, you can very likely get most of the money back if you re-sell it on Amazon or eBay.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that EK also thinks they are the best. I don't know the exact stats, but I'm rather confident that they are still 3rd to Kaplan and TPR in total profitability and popularity. They thus overcompensate by putting down other test prep companies. However, I still think Kaplan and TPR have tremendous value, if only for their wealth of practice material. EK likes to boast that they are the best, but don't limit yourself to what they have to say.

1A. If you only buy one MCAT prep book, make it EK's 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning.

And do all of them. My scores on practice tests went up significantly because of this book. Use whatever strategy you are most comfortable with, just make sure you practice with this book. There really isn't much more to say about verbal than that.

2. Get AAMC practice tests however you can.

This has been beaten to death on this forum, so I won't go into too much detail. However, one thing I should mention: Kaplan gives AAMC material to college libraries. I discovered this before nearly spending $40 on AAMC 9. Kaplan claims it's only for Kaplan students, but I was able to get the AAMC material on reserve with only my school ID. This isn't true for all colleges, but it's worth looking into. I have a feeling they do this with schools that are far away from Kaplan centers.

3. Take as many Kaplan Full-Lengths as you can, even those dreaded PS sections.

For the most part, Kaplan Full-Lengths are not representative of the actual MCAT, but that doesn't mean they are not worth doing. They make the PS sections super hard for a reason. I took AAMC 8 PS and thought it was a breeze. It really boosts your confidence when you take an AAMC test after a Kaplan Full-Length. Trust me on this.

4. Ignore other people's scoring trends posted in this forum.

Everyone is different. Getting hyped about other people's performance just make you more anxious and less confident.

5. If you don't like studying in groups, don't feel obligated to.

I hate studying in groups. It just makes me nervous that other people know more than me. If you are in the same boat, don't feel that you're at a disadvantage if you're not in a study group. This is just a matter of personal preference.

And the most important lesson I learned...

6. Studying for the MCAT is not about learning the material. It's about building confidence.

A little vague, but very true. No matter how long you study, you will not know everything. Instead, you should be trying to study so that you have the right attitude going into the test. This means taking practice tests, and not stressing out. It's tough to grasp at first, but I think this is the most crucial element to MCAT studying.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do to improve on verbal?? You said you took a lot of practice tests, but what did you learn to do/not do after doing all that practice? To me, it just seems like half luck most of the time.

mangos3 said:
What did you do to improve on verbal?? You said you took a lot of practice tests, but what did you learn to do/not do after doing all that practice? To me, it just seems like half luck most of the time.

Since VR is multiple choice, that means that only ONE choice will be correct, and the others will be categorically incorrect. It's your objective to find out why those answer choices are incorrect. Over time, your gut feel will be developed and you'd already be subconsciously analyzing why those answer choices are incorrect.

Taking practice tests is good for honing speed and rhythm. You have to read at a decent pace and think through the questions rather quickly if you want to finish the VR section. The main thing is to dissect the questions so that you know what they're really asking for.

ADeadLois said:

6. Studying for the MCAT is not about learning the material. It's about building confidence.

A little vague, but very true. No matter how long you study, you will not know everything. Instead, you should be trying to study so that you have the right attitude going into the test. This means taking practice tests, and not stressing out. It's tough to grasp at first, but I think this is the most crucial element to MCAT studying.
I heartily concur. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Excellent post, OP!

This is my exact advice to friends studying for the MCAT. Its funny how they write off EK (especially verbal 101 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) as not being as good, in the end they aren't going to score as highly as I did (which was solely due to EK and AAMC practice tests).

Great post, only thing I would add is go over your practice tests soon after taking them, so you can determine why you got problems right and wrong. This is how you develop that feel for the MCAT. Kind of being able to pick out a good wrong answer.

Wow, great post. Since I've been back at school as a post-bac, I've always said the same thing to myself before every exam:

"You know enough to ace this test. You knew enough a month ago. Relax."

Most of us on this forum have studied for this, and most of us know our calcitonin from our Delta G. At this point, its just mind over matter. I'm gonna kill this test.

Good luck everyone.

-S

Nice post...........especially #6...........

good luck :luck:

-tx

ADeadLois said:
I'm feeling very contemplative about by MCAT studying experience, so I've decided to summarize some of what I learned from the experience. I hope I'll be able to post this in 30+ MCAT tips above, but for know, it'll stay down here.

1. Believe in EK, but don't rely too much on Audio Osmosis

After sampling a bit of Kaplan, TPR, and EK, I have come to the conclusion that EK makes the best MCAT prep material, bar none. The books cover what you need to know, and are written in such a way that you will remember the material. However, don't go too nuts about Audio Osmosis. It's a great product, but it's not "complete MCAT preparation" as they boast on the CDs. It's good for going over material when you're walking to class or in the car, but it's not substitute for book studying and practice problem. It's worth buying however, because even though it's pricey, you can very likely get most of the money back if you re-sell it on Amazon or eBay.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that EK also thinks they are the best. I don't know the exact stats, but I'm rather confident that they are still 3rd to Kaplan and TPR in total profitability and popularity. They thus overcompensate by putting down other test prep companies. However, I still think Kaplan and TPR have tremendous value, if only for their wealth of practice material. EK likes to boast that they are the best, but don't limit yourself to what they have to say.

1A. If you only buy one MCAT prep book, make it EK's 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning.

And do all of them. My scores on practice tests went up significantly because of this book. Use whatever strategy you are most comfortable with, just make sure you practice with this book. There really isn't much more to say about verbal than that.

2. Get AAMC practice tests however you can.

This has been beaten to death on this forum, so I won't go into too much detail. However, one thing I should mention: Kaplan gives AAMC material to college libraries. I discovered this before nearly spending $40 on AAMC 9. Kaplan claims it's only for Kaplan students, but I was able to get the AAMC material on reserve with only my school ID. This isn't true for all colleges, but it's worth looking into. I have a feeling they do this with schools that are far away from Kaplan centers.

3. Take as many Kaplan Full-Lengths as you can, even those dreaded PS sections.

For the most part, Kaplan Full-Lengths are not representative of the actual MCAT, but that doesn't mean they are not worth doing. They make the PS sections super hard for a reason. I took AAMC 8 PS and thought it was a breeze. It really boosts your confidence when you take an AAMC test after a Kaplan Full-Length. Trust me on this.

4. Ignore other people's scoring trends posted in this forum.

Everyone is different. Getting hyped about other people's performance just make you more anxious and less confident.

5. If you don't like studying in groups, don't feel obligated to.

I hate studying in groups. It just makes me nervous that other people know more than me. If you are in the same boat, don't feel that you're at a disadvantage if you're not in a study group. This is just a matter of personal preference.

And the most important lesson I learned...

Here are my lessons:

1. Most of the answers are in the passages.

2. The verbal section is an open book test. Also, because you cannot study for that part of the test, it is a crapshoot.

3. As other people have stated, this test is mostly about confidence.

4. Kaplan's Full Length Physical Science Sections are insanity, but if you can master those, the AAMC Phy Sci Sections are cake.

just thinking about EK gives a level of confidence. i just feel good with their books. :)