Non-traditional Students: Don't Give Up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert Paulsen

Brush and Floss Daily!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I was notified of acceptance into dental school class of 2011. It has been a long project to get this far- I worked as an engineer for 22 years, then went back to school and retook 3 semesters of calculus and physics before deciding that I needed to so something different.

So I took biology (what a shock- no problems to solve- all I had to do was read and remember!), organic chemistry, microbiology, cell biology, and human physiology.

I applied to eight schools very late in the 2007 app cycle, and was ultimately rejected by all but one, the one that I most wanted to get into!

As dental students go, I am an old guy. In fact, I just may be the oldest dental student in the US. My classmates will probably mistake me for a professor on the first day of classes. I'll be finishing dental school at an age when most dentists are retiring, but I figure I've got another 30 years of work left in me.

So to all of you who are contemplating career changes and think that maybe it's getting a little too late, think again! It CAN be done, but not if you don't try.

Don't try to hide your age (my wife suggested that I dye my hair before interviews- hah!)- use it to your advantage! You have accomplishments, experience, maturity, confidence, and even wisdom that younger students don't have. Use them to get where you want to be.

Now all I have to do is finish school.

In the immortal words of Trent Reznor (or was it Robert Frost?), "the way out is through".

RP

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the post, many of us need it! :thumbup:

P.S.: Did you got accepted into your state school? How did you do on your science classes and DAT?

Hats off to you sir!!:thumbup: An inspiration indeed:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the post, many of us need it! :thumbup:

P.S.: Did you got accepted into your state school? How did you do on your science classes and DAT?

Unfortunately, I move around too much to go to a state school. I am going to go to ASDOH. I think ASDOH has some flexibility in their acceptance criteria that may be lacking at other schools. Maybe they are still trying to figure out what their "style" is so they are willing to take some chances that longer established schools are not. Whatever it is, it worked in my favor!

My undergrad GPA from 25 years ago was about 3.3. My more recent science grades were GPA of 3.8. I pointed that out in the interview when someone mentioned my GPA. My response was that I have done much better because I am no longer distracted by the things that tend to distract students in their 20s.

My DAT scores were not great, but adequate:
PAT 18, total science 19, and academic avg 20.

For whatever reason my org chem score was high and my gen chem score low which were exactly opposite of how it should have been.

Work hard toward your goals!

RP

Unfortunately, I move around too much to go to a state school. I am going to go to ASDOH. I think ASDOH has some flexibility in their acceptance criteria that may be lacking at other schools. Maybe they are still trying to figure out what their "style" is so they are willing to take some chances that longer established schools are not. Whatever it is, it worked in my favor!

My undergrad GPA from 25 years ago was about 3.3. My more recent science grades were GPA of 3.8. I pointed that out in the interview when someone mentioned my GPA. My response was that I have done much better because I am no longer distracted by the things that tend to distract students in their 20s.

My DAT scores were not great, but adequate:
PAT 18, total science 19, and academic avg 20.

For whatever reason my org chem score was high and my gen chem score low which were exactly opposite of how it should have been.

Work hard toward your goals!

RP
For your General Chem section, did you have a lot of theories/conceptual questions and not much of the calculation questions?

I don't recall. One of the problems with getting old...

RP

RP,
I am going to be the oldest in my class too. I was also an engineer, but only for 9 years. Ill be just about 32 when classes start. My wife went to law school after being an engineer as well. There were about 4-5 people in her night class that were in their 40s. My DAT scores and GPA were mediocre but my experience was the only thing they cared about. Ill be at Harvard this fall as the class of 2011. Good luck, you are an inspiration to a lot of people.

wow! Good work and congrats! Very inspirational. And here I was worried I'll be 33 when I graduate.

Good to see another engineer pursuing a career change. I don't have as much experience with about 3 years in engineering but you are truly my inspiration.

I am applying this cycle. I hope I do get in.

Thanks for your post. I am in a similar position. I worked (as a dental assistant) for 16 years before deciding to take the next step. It's encouraging to me to hear you were able to get in! Do you have any advice for non-traditionals like us?

[/quote] What kind of advice are you looking for? I'm not the oldest, but at 35, the second oldest in the class I have experienced things a little differently than the kids in the class who weren't even in kindergarden when I graduated from high school. At least my experience wasn't as bad as RP's will be where the kids in the class could be his grandchildren. OOPS, did I just say that?:D[/quote]

I'm interested in questions you were asked, if any, about your "career change" later in life, or how admissions personnel treated you. I was a little discouraged last year when an admission's secretary told me they "were looking for someone who can contribute to the field of dentistry longer than you" in response to my asking what I could do to strengthen my application with their school. :mad: I know they aren't supposed to discriminate for age but I really felt like this was what happened. On the up side, I'm glad I asked so I don't waste my money there this year. Did you have any schools who responded favorably to your "mature" status?

I was asked "why dentistry out of all the other possibilities?"

My reply was that there are aspects of engineering that I really liked, specifically the detail work and craftsmanship, which is also required in dentistry. I view dentistry as a step beyond engineering because the satisfaction will be much higher. As an IC design engineer I worked on things that were important, but the final product was always sort of a distant abstraction, so there was little satisfaction to be had. At the end of the day it felt like I may have helped the stockholders of the company a bit, but that was all.

In dentistry, you get some patients who come to you in agony, unable to do their work or even think straight, but after a hour in the chair they are smiling and happy. It's hard to imagine more satisfying work than that.

I do a lot of engineering hobby work at home. I always have and always will. I have seen a lot of interesting dental procedures (mainly as a patient), and I can see a lot of room for invention in dentistry. By learning the details of human dental anatomy and physiology, and the details of the different procedures used by dentists I expect that I will come up with some improvements/simplifications or even new instruments.

It turned out one of the interviewers has a husband who is an engineer and she was very much in-tune with what I was saying. Great luck there!

The above is all true, but there are other reasons why I chose dentistry. There is virtually no job security for an engineer in their 40s. My last couple engineering jobs ended in lay-offs. They wanted me to become a manager or a marketing guy (yuck!). I didn't want to do either- just to keep doing engineering, but when the stock price hiccups they start looking for ways to cut "expenses", so instead of reducing the CEO's pay 0.01% they throw away engineers in their 40s. Later on, they hire two guys right out of engineering school for half as much pay and they work them for 60-80 hours per week. With many health care careers, including dentistry, you have to be in the room with the patient. They can't send your job to India (look out radiologists!).

Why not medicine? My wife is a medical student. I've seen the meat-grinder they put med students through. I don't think I could do it. The training period is also too long. She is a 4th year student, but even though I will just be starting dental school in July, I will finish before she is done with residency. At my age I don't have time for a 7-9 year training program.

Of course, the income is another factor. Dentistry provides an acceptable level of income along with satisfaction and a measure of security that is lacking in engineering.

Everyone that I have spoken with at ASDOH has been very encouraging. I don't know if they are specifically looking for career-changers, but I never sensed that my age and experience were viewed as anything less than a positive factor.

RP

Members don't see this ad :)
[/QUOTE] I was a little discouraged last year when an admission's secretary told me they "were looking for someone who can contribute to the field of dentistry longer than you" in response to my asking what I could do to strengthen my application with their school. :mad: I know they aren't supposed to discriminate for age but I really felt like this was what happened. [/QUOTE]

DMDreaming, I am a 41 year old non-traditional student with an engineering degree also. Would you mind naming the school that you quoted above? I'm not trying to get you to slam a school, I just want to make sure that I don't add that one to my list of schools that I've applied to. I've already submitted my app, so hopefully that school is not one of the one's I've already spent money on!!:idea:

RP, congrats!! I hope 2008 is my year to get accepted. Thanks for the support & encouragement! By the way, I never considered becoming an MD because I don't want to hang out with all those sick people!!:hardy:

The note from Robert regarding older students was from May 2007. Are you still in Dental school and responding to this site?

Yo Rp you my role model... haha...

computer guy here... When i worked in a financial institution i saw how people step over other people just to climb that ladder and i am not that type of a person so i quit it.

hey RP, can you do a youtube video
on the first day of class go to class early and take a video camera and secretly place it somewhere and act like you are teaching a class... until the professor comes... see how many students follow it. lol

wow! Good work and congrats! Very inspirational. And here I was worried I'll be 33 when I graduate.

That's how old I'll be when I start D-school...if I get in this year!

:cool:

Hello RP,

I am a 32 y/o IT professional looking to change careers and found your story to be very inspiring. I am in the infancy stage of considering and researching this as an option.

Firstly, I am curious if you graduated in 2011 as planned, where from and if you are now practicing or if you are specializing further. Also how the debt load is for you--wondering if you had enough money to pay for dental school outright or had to borrow. I personally am considering the Navy or Air Force scholarship programs, of course they are competitive. Otherwise, I will just accrue the debt as it is pretty standard and manageable.

My undergrad degree is in Opera, even though I always worked in IT even before, during and since college. So now, my MAIN QUESTION is:

As someone with a non-science Bachelor's, is it possible for me to take the pre-req's similar to what you took (biology, organic chemistry, microbiology, cell biology, and human physiology) at a University, along with taking the DAT, job-shadowing, etc for a few years and be eligible...? Or is it better to do a dental hygiene program as preparation for dental school? I know it will take me at least a year and a half to two years (or more) to prepare for dental school either way, but I would prefer to do what you did, which is just take the pre-req's at a University and go straight to applying for schools. Doing dental hygiene, when I already know my main goal of dentistry seems like a lot of extra cost and time...but it might make preparing more concrete and direct.

Thank you in advance if you do see this question and respond to it :) And thank you again for sharing your story!

Best,
--Drew Rodney

Hello RP,

I am a 32 y/o IT professional looking to change careers and found your story to be very inspiring. I am in the infancy stage of considering and researching this as an option.

Firstly, I am curious if you graduated in 2011 as planned, where from and if you are now practicing or if you are specializing further. Also how the debt load is for you--wondering if you had enough money to pay for dental school outright or had to borrow. I personally am considering the Navy or Air Force scholarship programs, of course they are competitive. Otherwise, I will just accrue the debt as it is pretty standard and manageable.

My undergrad degree is in Opera, even though I always worked in IT even before, during and since college. So now, my MAIN QUESTION is:

As someone with a non-science Bachelor's, is it possible for me to take the pre-req's similar to what you took (biology, organic chemistry, microbiology, cell biology, and human physiology) at a University, along with taking the DAT, job-shadowing, etc for a few years and be eligible...? Or is it better to do a dental hygiene program as preparation for dental school? I know it will take me at least a year and a half to two years (or more) to prepare for dental school either way, but I would prefer to do what you did, which is just take the pre-req's at a University and go straight to applying for schools. Doing dental hygiene, when I already know my main goal of dentistry seems like a lot of extra cost and time...but it might make preparing more concrete and direct.

Thank you in advance if you do see this question and respond to it :) And thank you again for sharing your story!

Best,
--Drew Rodney

Thread is 5 years old. It's unfortunately unlikely that OP will respond.

It maybe be an old thread, but the questions are valid. Here's my take:

First, keep researching the schooling, application process, and most important, the profession.

Skip hygiene. You're right, you want to be a dentist, not a hygienist. Blasting through pre-reqs and hitting the DAT is the way to go. Just do well in all courses, especially if your undergrad GPA a low. The opera degree and career are unique (which is a good thing). But prove you can get the grades in science now.

Feel free to click my username and send me a private message if you have questions. I can't promise a prompt response. School has taken over my life.

i decided to go back at 27 and it's taken me 2 full years and a summer to do all necessary prereq's (from "scratch") do some volunteering at a dental clinic, and 150 hours of shadowing in 7 different offices (various specialties and gp's). took ochem 1 & 2 over last summer, and due to the timing and workload i decided to wait till mid summer this year to take the dat. applied through aadsas in late june but sent dat scores after taking it july 26. so depending how you time everything i'd say be conservative and give yourself 3 years including a "wait" year (which im currently in). hoping for fall 2013 acceptance!

btw, if 3 years sounds like a lot, dont let it phase you. you'll be so busy shooting for a 4.0 you wont believe how those years fly by. plus, you'll probably end up with another degree (b.s. in bio after this semester) and if you're like me, you'll be even more determined after so many hours of shadowing and the encouraging words of the dentists you'll meet. i cant wait to put on my scrubs for the first time!!!! best of luck to you

Dave

Thank you for the encouraging words, Dave! It really helps a LOT. Being 32 and looking at starting from *scratch* can be daunting, but also excites me a great deal, so that gives me impetus to proceed diligently forward, focusing on one step at a time.

I am most excited to begin job shadowing, but I am very nervous about approaching dentists for this opportunity. It seems like a lot to ask, especially since I haven't taken a lot of science classes yet and am so new to the idea. I may wait until I have at least finished (and ACED, hopefully) my Anatomy & Physiology class to begin shadowing, so that I have some confidence and have proven my initial dedication to this new decision.

Because I am going off of Tufts req's right now because that is a good high standard and one of my top choices, I am currently focused on doing Anatomy this semester, Microbiology Spring 2012, then Chem 1 & 2 plus Physics 1 & 2 over the summer and through next year. The third year will be for Organic Chem and Biochem...my thinking is that I probably need 2 semesters of Cell Biology, too---since Anatomy & Microbiology are not necessary requirements, but more like a bonus. I am hoping the Anatomy and Microbiology will count for the Bio requirements, but I am still investigating...it seems doable though with your advice of 3 years plus a "wait" year.

Best of luck to you as well, Dave and thank you greatly for the kind words! At this point, I need all the help I can get...

--Drew

Drew, I started at 31, four years ago, and have run the gambit of courses. I sent my application out on 8/24 and shall see how it goes. Just remember, you have to work hard and stay dedicated. If you do that you will succeed.

Wow, that is amazing due-diligence. And very inspiring to me to GO FOR IT all the way! Best of luck and congratulations on all the hard work! I hope it pays off...