UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotchtapetest

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that I was accepted into UNECOM class of 2012!!!! Anyone else???

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping someone would start this thread soon! I was accepted to UNECOM (ASA from 06-07 cycle) and will be attending in August! Verrrry exciting!

wow this thread is up already? congrats! enjoy your time before school

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted...I was on the accept space last year, so I was automatically in for this year...I got my letter a few weeks ago! :D

I got my acceptance on Sep 21 - the day I was at NSU-COM interviewing!

yaay!! I know many won't be sure they are attending for a while, but I can't wait to meet all my future classmates. ppatel- I was also ASA last year, I am so glad it all worked out (I definitely had visions of the acceptance falling through and having turned down another acceptance being monumentally screwed!!) happy to see it worked out for someone else too! :)

yaay!! I know many won't be sure they are attending for a while, but I can't wait to meet all my future classmates. ppatel- I was also ASA last year, I am so glad it all worked out (I definitely had visions of the acceptance falling through and having turned down another acceptance being monumentally screwed!!) happy to see it worked out for someone else too! :)

Hey buddy,
Glad it worked out for you too...However, since I spend for years up at Bates already (also in Maine), I think it might be a good idea to get out of maine for med school...Hence I applied to NYCOM and am hoping to go there...lets see what happens! Good luck to you at UNE, and I might see you there next year!

Hey buddy,
Glad it worked out for you too...However, since I spend for years up at Bates already (also in Maine), I think it might be a good idea to get out of maine for med school...Hence I applied to NYCOM and am hoping to go there...lets see what happens! Good luck to you at UNE, and I might see you there next year!

Good luck with NYCOM! I was accepted to NYCOM last year, so I believe you will be also! Long Island just wasn't for me so I decided to hold out for UNE, and am very glad I did so. Best wishes!

Greetings from my couch future fellow UNECOMers! Congratulations on your acceptances! I hope you are all happy and that UNECOM is #1 on your lists!
I met a couple of you during one of the earlier interview sessions. I was happy to meet a fellow SUNY Binghamton graduate as well as a couple people who read about me in the UNECOM Express. Good luck to all of you with the rest of the medical school app/interview process. If you have any questions at all about UNECOM, the Biddeford area, being married while in medical school and/or about the military HPSP scholarships feel free to PM me, IM me or hit me up thru this forum.
Cheers,
-S

This question is for current students:

Since the notetaking service and recordings are available, is attendance at UNE optional? I noticed on the COM website that they have a procedure that is mentioned for "excused absenses," which made me wonder if attendance is indeed mandatory (and strict).

This question is for current students:

Since the notetaking service and recordings are available, is attendance at UNE optional? I noticed on the COM website that they have a procedure that is mentioned for "excused absenses," which made me wonder if attendance is indeed mandatory (and strict).

I'll defer to the more recent students, but back in the day...some classes were mandatory with sign in sheets (a few...majority not mandatory attendance).

Wook

still that way, Wook. some classes mandatory (EOM, OPP, peds, geriatrics, a few others), most optional (at your own risk).

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem, When you say "at your own risk" do you mean that there could be a penalty for skipping class? Or, are you referring to the risk you run from learning the information on your own versus in the lecture?

I guess I'm just wondering if students have to option to study on their own (versus going to lecture). I know some students claim to learn better that way, especially come exam time...

Thanks for the info.

at your own risk: there have been occassional failures for the lecture recordings. And there have been professors that request the recording be turned off for certain information (NOT maliciously to penalize anyone who isn't attending lecture however). You also can get a lot of information out of professors by talking to them between lectures. And of course, some folks learn better by listening, some by reading.

But other than the mandatory attendance lectures, you may skip lecture if you wish. No one will bother you about it, no grief, no snide comments. The faculty figure we're grownups for the most part and if you do better reading at home, go to it.

at your own risk: there have been occassional failures for the lecture recordings.

I would emphasize the above point as well. However, my 2nd year was note service and worked very well for me. Each person has their own learning style and my style did not work well for several people I knew.

Wook

Some classes are worth skipping and easier to just work at home.

The classes many wished to skip, are mandatory. I could never pay attention in class, but listening and reading lectures at home made things sink well. I would say go to the lectures in the beginning and then you can see which ones are not worth attending.

When did you guys hear about getting in? I've had a few interview offers for other schools already, but haven't heard anything from UNECOM about one.

Congrats to all of the optimistic, enthusiastic and fresh minds coming in next summer! (you poor, poor souls...)

Might I suggest beginning to prepare for your Gross Anatomy course asap, with upper extremity first, including brachial plexus, clavicle and scapula (as they all _are_ part of the upper extremity). You may wish to peruse lower extremity sometime just after the holidays, and have started head+neck (focusing on the neuroanatomy) ten minutes ago. The rest should be dealt with in the Spring, before moving to the greater megalopolis that is Biddeford (or "The Biddo").

You, to your significant misfortune, have four Fellows lined up that are already swinging their intellectual, petty and highly pride-driven clubs in order to bludgeon you into little pulps of sobbing protoplasm, to begin second ONE upon entering the lab;
"Abandon all hope..." as the lab actually has been heard called "Dante's Tenth Circle" by some of those unfortunate enough to be muttering and bumping their heads against the walls in pod 4 after only. the. first. week. :scared: Too much formalin, probably...

So, you will not appreciate the Fellows much, sadly, for they are a burned out, miserable, unmotivated and seriously demoralized lot of highly unapproachable... well... jerks, actually. Supposedly one of the worst teams expected to have been placed together since UNECOM was founded. Tough year to get in for you all, at least anatomy-wise... but just remember you are allowed some retesting in the unfortunate circumstance that performances are sub-par... and for this team, the low cut-off was heard to be around 91-93%... 90% if you catch them on a 'good' day.

They will not be hard to spot: Scowls, screaming without provocation, dead serious, never laughing... or smiling for that matter... and all of them, to the last one, bitterly bitching about not wanting to teach because they'd rather be researching what the he!! that articulation 'crack' **actually IS**, while tethered to dimly lit research benches!

All the while muttering... "Ve vill break them... break them... my precious..."

Um... good... luck?

:smuggrin:

Sarcasm. Major sarcasm. The fellows are your friends and can make your life much easier if you pick their brains properly.

Yeah some fellows are great... AKA Jeff and Coney... others are slow and just doing Fellowship to stay in town or to have children or to please to OPP department for some reason or another.

They can be moody and constipated at times... they are faulty humans as well. So that is excusable. However Faculty and administrative staff don't have that as an excuse.

When did you guys hear about getting in? I've had a few interview offers for other schools already, but haven't heard anything from UNECOM about one.

Interview Offer: Aug. 15

Interview: Sep. 11

Acceptance: Sep. 19

Uh... snark, folks... (ala: "Uh... Pirate!" Johnny Depp in Pirates 1 to Orlando)

Horror = Halloween... get it?

A sincere congrats to everyone with the great news. UNECOM is a fun place where you will get ample, quality training! And outside of school there are many things to do to try to find balance and health... a great attribute of the place.

stink? I haven't heard of any stink at school over that one... and personally I thought it was funny and really obvious -- to anyone who's been in med school! And I certainly haven't heard anyone being pissed about it. :laugh:

And wook, you are SO perceptive! ;)

What is everyone doing about housing at UNE? Has anyone here purchased a home, and if so, how affordable are the house prices? Is it cheaper in the Portland area?

For those of you who did buy, where did you find good listings? I've been searching on the Internet and not having much luck... Just trying to get an idea, but it's hard when I'm in Indiana.

How is the job market in Portland? My fiance will be moving with me, and one of the factors of us is how difficult it will be for him to find employment.

He has a degree in psychology and works in addictions as a case manager. He also has several years' prior experience in security and law enforcement.

We've talked about it a lot, and he's pretty flexible to do whatever he needs to until I'm finished with school, if he needs to do something else for a while.

If he is certifiable with a good history, he shouldn't have a problem getting a job as a cop. However, if he needs another academy (certification lapsed too long) it may be another story altogether. Don't have a clue as to security or psych jobs, sorry; but you might have him check out the colleges/universities around for security jobs. The benefits tend to be better there.

As for housing - I bought a house (rather mandatory with two kids, two dogs, and a whole houseful of stuff to move). It all depends on where you're from. From Colorado, I found prices here high and houses small. I also found people were REALLY proud of their homes (most of which were absolutely filthy). Folks from Mass, Connecticut, Florida, California, they all found prices low. You can find better prices in Limerick and towns around Biddeford. Saco tends to be pricey. Duplexes are really reasonable (I needed a yard for kids/dogs), but I personally didn't want a duplex. I would recommend against a realtor - they had a real estate boom here a couple of years ago and many realtors still think they can charge 7.5% commission and get it with little to no work. If you're looking for a fixer-upper you can find one at what I think is a reasonable price.

For real estate for sale listings, check out realtor.com and newenglandmoves.com. they seem to have a fairly complete list. I would also recommend pre-approval before you buy - makes things go much smoother.

If he is certifiable with a good history, he shouldn't have a problem getting a job as a cop. However, if he needs another academy (certification lapsed too long) it may be another story altogether. Don't have a clue as to security or psych jobs, sorry; but you might have him check out the colleges/universities around for security jobs. The benefits tend to be better there.

As for housing - I bought a house (rather mandatory with two kids, two dogs, and a whole houseful of stuff to move). It all depends on where you're from. From Colorado, I found prices here high and houses small. I also found people were REALLY proud of their homes (most of which were absolutely filthy). Folks from Mass, Connecticut, Florida, California, they all found prices low. You can find better prices in Limerick and towns around Biddeford. Saco tends to be pricey. Duplexes are really reasonable (I needed a yard for kids/dogs), but I personally didn't want a duplex. I would recommend against a realtor - they had a real estate boom here a couple of years ago and many realtors still think they can charge 7.5% commission and get it with little to no work. If you're looking for a fixer-upper you can find one at what I think is a reasonable price.

For real estate for sale listings, check out realtor.com and newenglandmoves.com. they seem to have a fairly complete list. I would also recommend pre-approval before you buy - makes things go much smoother.

Great, thanks for all the info! That is really helpful.

Coming from Indiana, I really don't know what to expect, so this gives me an idea of where to start. We have family (his) in Mass, but, like you said, the situation is a lot different in Maine. Thanks so much for your input!

We have four dogs, so I'm in the market for a big yard, too! :)

Thanks again.

During my interview, James Gaffney basically said that since you will most likely have to move for 3rd & 4th year rotations, most students elect to rent rather than purchase a home.

Portland is not cheaper than Biddeford, but the price differential isn't as great as in larger cities.

You have to move for 3rd and 4th year? Wow, that's weird. When I interviewed, the student I talked to said that the people who want to stay near for rotations, more often than not, are able to.

Can any current students/alums shed some light? :) Thanks.

You have to move for 3rd and 4th year? Wow, that's weird. When I interviewed, the student I talked to said that the people who want to stay near for rotations, more often than not, are able to.

Can any current students/alums shed some light? :) Thanks.

I was able to stay in the Biddeford area all 4 years. For two mandatory rotations, I had to leave the area for awhile (a total of 3 months). I opted to leave the area for 3 other rotations. Overall, you have a decent chance of being able to stay in the area.

Wook

even those who rotated in Maine had some rotations in Augusta, Bangor, or Lewiston which is out of commuting distance

I actually commuted from Arundel, ME to Lewiston for my Psych rotation...I did not count this as a rotation away from home (it was about 1:15 drive each way). By the way, I thought it was a great psych rotation. Very interesting patients and the person I rotated with was an excellent preceptor.

Wook

There are several rotation core sites in Maine - one based in Bangor, one based in Augusta, and one "southern Maine". Your rotations are all based out of your core site - and no rotation (except for rural I believe) is supposed to be within 1 hour driving distance MAXIMUM... so for southern Maine you may have to drive to York or Portland or Lewiston. Augusta has all rotations right in that area, and Bangor's are all right there too. The reason you have to drive a little bit for southern Maine is U Vermont has a lock on a bunch of rotation spots in southern Maine (they pay the hospital more per student than UNE does).

Depending on what your classmates want to do you have a decent shot at staying in southern Maine. I think all but two last year got to stay in southern Maine. Some rotation sites almost always go to lottery - Berkshires, Rhode Island for example. Those two were packed last year (esp. Rhode Island). Newark is usually popular too. But it all depends on what's popular for your class.

But it all depends on what's popular for your class.

I would second this statement and add it usually varies from class to class. When our turn came to lottery, Watertown was REALLY popular while the year before it was not as interesting to those students. The majority of sites are very good from what I heard from my classmates, so you'll get good training, it's just a question of where you want to go.

Wook

PS Shy when am I getting those chocolate chip oatmeal cookies????!!

Hmm. Well, right now the popular thing at my house are apple hand pies (yummy things with cream cheese puff pastry and apples mixed with a crumble of raisins, brown sugar, nuts, and spices - to die for, really, and I don't even like regular apple pie), and cranberry raspberry coffee cake. Oh, and the occassional chocolate cake (recipe passed down through the family).

But I suppose I can make another batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Just for you, wook. come by the house sometime -- there's always food here for a stray!

He has a degree in psychology and works in addictions as a case manager. He also has several years' prior experience in security and law enforcement.

We've talked about it a lot, and he's pretty flexible to do whatever he needs to until I'm finished with school, if he needs to do something else for a while.

Social Work and Psych are pretty employable around here.

As far as housing goes, there are a number of nearby beaches with seasonal housing. Many of them are happy to rent to med students for the offseason. Of course, figuring out housing for July and August may be tricky. Some students also choose to live in Biddeford, which is 10-15 min from your butt sitting in the classroom.

I chose to live in Portland, which for me is 35 minutes door-to-door. Sometimes the longer commute is lame, but Portland is quite a bit cooler than Biddeford and it's nice to feel like you've gotten away from school at the end of the day.

So there are advantages to each situation.

If anyone is interested in living in Portland I also know of 2 bedroom condos that are going on the market. Monthly mortgage would be about the same as rent, or less. Of course, if you're going to buy you might want to do everything you can to stay in S. Maine for third year...

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Regarding equipment, does anyone have any suggestions to what, when and where should I buy?:confused:

Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving future classmates! Safe travels if you are traveling and enjoy the holiday. If you are stuck working make sure you don't work too hard and at least get some sort of pie in your belly!

Health & Happiness,
Jenica

Hey everyone, I had an interview on Sept 11th, found out about two weeks later that I was accepted and will be attending next fall. This is my first post on SDN and I wanted to say congratulations to all of the other students who were accepted as well.

I don't know if anyone is looking for housing, but I'm flying to Maine in January to purchase a condo/apartment/townhouse in Biddeford or Sacco. I wanted to know if anyone was interested in renting a room. I know not everyone wants to purchase a home so I figured this would be the best place to see if anyone is interested. If you are interested shoot me a PM. I look forward to meeting you guys next year.

Sorry I didn't include this in my last post. What would you guys think of a facebook group for UNECOM 2012?

Looking forward to meeting everyone...Congrats!

Hey everyone, I also have been accepted and will be attending in August. UNECOM was my top choice and I look forward to meeting all of you! Im looking forward to the orientation "rafting trip" that all the 1st and 2nd years talked about during interviews!

Hey, There are a few UNECOM threads up so I'll post it here in case someone missed it.

Facebook group is up for UNECOM Class of 2012 :)

Great to see more people on here! can't wait for august, congrats everyone!