cause of death in marfan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2Bmd2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
goljan says it's due to mitral valve prolapse...other sources say most common cause of death in infants with marfan is prolapse, but in adults it's aortic dissection (which makes sense to me). any thoughts? maybe prolapse is just more common?

Members don't see this ad.

Robbin's says aortic rupture is most common cause of death. I think you're right about prolapse being more common. Cardiac failure is the cause of death less commonly than dissection, though.

Sudden death is due to prolapse, but aortic rupture is more common overall (I dont have a source to cite for this but I'm pretty sure it's correct).

In the margin (thus, HY), Goljan has aortic dissection as the most common cause of death in Marfan and Ehlers-Danlos. I have no idea which one is more common, mitral valve prolapse or aortic dissection, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sudden death is due to prolapse, but aortic rupture is more common overall (I dont have a source to cite for this but I'm pretty sure it's correct).

I think he said in his audio lectures that "sudden death" was most often due to prolapse. Death from dissection is not "sudden".

I would go with dissection since robbins and UW both say that is the most common cause.

My understanding is that the most common cause of death is dissection.

And the most common cause of "sudden" death is conduction abnormalities due to mitral valve prolapse.

so death due to dissection is not sudden? i guess then an arrhythmia makes sense if "sudden" is the key word. thanks guys!

By definition Sudden Cardiac death is death with in an hour of cardiac symptoms. I think that includes both arrhythmias and aoritc dissection.

What I think is in Adults aortic dissection is more likely cause of death because they have time to develop fibrocystic change in the aorta, while in children prolapse is more common because they haven't developed the fibrocystic change yet.

Actually, the #1 cause is suicide after the tall skinny guy with long fingers gets tired of being asked if he has marfan's.

Every tall person at my school had to go through a Marfan Inquisition pretty regularly.