Reporter's question about shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heidib

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reporter with Forbes. I'm doing a story about the countrywide shortage of radiologists. I'm trying to find examples of bad things that can go wrong due to the shortage--for example, a woman having to wait too long to get a mammography appointment. If you know of any such examples, please contact me at [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

Here's something that might happen:

ER doctors might actually have to -- gulp -- learn how to do a history and physical.

Nah, what am I thinking?

I think there are several effects of the national shortage of Radiology Physicians (as opposed to radiology techs).

One effect is delay in diagnosis. As the volume of imaging increases, overloaded radiologists will see the scans later, resulting in a delay in diagnosis.

Another effect will be seen in emergency departments. Smaller ERs will have a difficult time finding night time radiology coverage, especially for plain film x-rays. The result is that ER doctors, who have little formal radiology training, may miss findings that will only be relayed to the patient the next day, usually after the patient has been sent home from the ER. This includes subtle bone fractures, lung findings such as nodules, and others.

As it becomes more difficult to find a radiologist to read studies, many clinicians will make decisions based on their own opinion of CT scans, MRIs, etc rather than conferring with the radiologist. This can also result in delay of care or inadequate care. Usually, the most evident and dangerous findings can be seen by clinical physicians, however, many of the more subtle or difficult to diagnose findings will be missed until a radiologist sees the images. An example would be a surgeon missing an early inflamed appendix or subtly thickened bowel on a CT scan in a person with abdominal pain.