How to leave a research lab but still obtain a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So about two quarters ago, one of my biology professors offered me a position in his lab to be a research assistant. I had done research before and didn't really like it, but I decided to give this new lab a chance. After about 4 months in the lab, I've worked with an amazing post-doc; I've learned/done all the basic techniques: transformation, transfection, PCR, plaque assays, cloning, CO-IP, etc. I joined the lab inititally because I wanted to get a good LOR from my professor (now my PI), but I honestly hate going to the lab every week. I don't find it interesting at all despite being fortunate enough to have learned so much within only 4 months. I DREAD going to lab and somehow keep trying to convince myself that this stuff is interesting....but I hate bench research!! I have so much respect for people who can sit in a lab and work all day, every day. How do I exactly leave the lab on a good note with the post-doc and PI but still obtain a great LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn''t ask...

You don't.

.....explain? Would it look really bad to just leave the lab after four months but ask for a LOR? I guess my question is, what would I say to my post-doc and PI that wouldn't make things look bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
So about two quarters ago, one of my biology professors offered me a position in his lab to be a research assistant. I had done research before and didn't really like it, but I decided to give this new lab a chance. After about 4 months in the lab, I've worked with an amazing post-doc; I've learned/done all the basic techniques: transformation, transfection, PCR, plaque assays, cloning, CO-IP, etc. I joined the lab inititally because I wanted to get a good LOR from my professor (now my PI), but I honestly hate going to the lab every week. I don't find it interesting at all despite being fortunate enough to have learned so much within only 4 months. I DREAD going to lab and somehow keep trying to convince myself that this stuff is interesting....but I hate bench research!! I have so much respect for people who can sit in a lab and work all day, every day. How do I exactly leave the lab on a good note with the post-doc and PI but still obtain a great LOR?

I've been with my research lab for about 6 months and although I am not getting paid or getting credit for it this summer, I am staying on specifically for the reason that I asked my professor for a letter.

So, sacrifice a bit. Maybe actually get interested on the project so you can have something positive to say on your app about the experience?

.....explain? Would it look really bad to just leave the lab after four months but ask for a LOR? I guess my question is, what would I say to my post-doc and PI that wouldn't make things look bad?

yes.

I have no idea how you could salvage it and get a GOOD letter of rec.

yes.

I have no idea how you could salvage it and get a GOOD letter of rec.

Well, I had been one of the top 5 students in the professor's class (and why I was offered this position). So I was thinking since I additionally worked in his lab for a couple months, that could add on to the fact that I did very well in his class, and hence garner a good LOR

Well, I had been one of the top 5 students in the professor's class (and why I was offered this position). So I was thinking since I additionally worked in his lab for a couple months, that could add on to the fact that I did very well in his class, and hence garner a good LOR

in that case, I'd stick it out over the summer and then talk about focusing on school/volunteering or something.

First, he will know that you did it just for the letter. I know at my school the PIs are SO annoyed by all the premeds that come and go and waste their time. These people are passionate about what they do and they might feel disrespected if you just peace out and ask for a letter. Ask for a letter and then peace out. 4 months isn't that long anyway, so I would stay at least 1-2 semesters.