Need suggestions: Follow the dream or just drop it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaspiringdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I need some serious advice here. I passed NBDE part1 last year with a score of 78. With the hope of improving my application and becoming eligible for schools that require both part 1& 2 I took NBDE part 2 in 2012 and unfortunately failed.
According to the new rules all scores all scores will be reported when I request a score report.
This leads me to the conclusion that I have degraded my profile instead of improving it and now I am not sure if it would be any good to apply without passing part 2.
Please pour in your views and suggestions.
Thanks and Good luck to you all

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
My advice would be to go ahead and retake part2 and clear it this time. Admission is not all about scores and no, I do not think they would go about retrieving anybody's scores as they would not have made it pass/fail if the numerical scores were all that important..
Dont waste time thinking about what didn't work out for you...you know you want to get into into a program...just work towards it. Volunteer, engage in research, observe, visit the schools personally,learn a new language or skill that that may look good on your CV, get more work experience, improve your SOP or TOEFL scores....!!
Good Luck!

I agree with Match! Do not lose hope.. and I do not think scores are that important anymore with the advent of Pass/Fail for NBDE. Where there is a will there is a way. Also maybe you can do the DAT.. NYU and Columbia are both excepting that now.

All the best to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,
I need some serious advice here. I passed NBDE part1 last year with a score of 78. With the hope of improving my application and becoming eligible for schools that require both part 1& 2 I took NBDE part 2 in 2012 and unfortunately failed.
According to the new rules all scores all scores will be reported when I request a score report.
This leads me to the conclusion that I have degraded my profile instead of improving it and now I am not sure if it would be any good to apply without passing part 2.
Please pour in your views and suggestions.
Thanks and Good luck to you all

Your fail will be a negative on your application even if scores don't matter anymore. A 75 is better than a Fail obviously. You shouldn't give up though. Keep trying to improve your resume. It will take longer for you to make up for the Fail, but start studying again and Pass it this time and you will get in one day.

How come failing NBDE 2 will put negative effect on your application????? How the programs will know that you failed?? When you fill your CAAPID you can leave it empty if you fail or put passing score if you have pass score right???!!!!
Please clarify

How come failing NBDE 2 will put negative effect on your application????? How the programs will know that you failed?? When you fill your CAAPID you can leave it empty if you fail or put passing score if you have pass score right???!!!!
Please clarify

When you fill out your application you need to tell them you took Part 2. You can't leave it blank. Also even if you lie and leave it blank when you order your score report for Part 1 it will show your Fail for Part 2.

Thank you all for your responses. match2013 and dentalutopia I really appreciate your positive attitude and it did encourage me.
But practically speaking i agree more with asd1234, and that is what my main dilemma is, can't retake part 2 earlier than 3 months now and by that time most deadlines would have approached and probably cannot significantly improve the profile in a couple of months.
That's why the thought of not applying for this cycle with failure popping up.
Dear lena 1983 all I have learned from applying and studying in US is you have to be true , you cannot get in without letting the schools the correct/complete info, the system is absolute transparent and thats what I love the most about it.
Thanks again!!

hey aaspiring doc let me tell you a few stories about people in my class both regular and international... my friend tried for 3 yrs as an international student with no invites finally got 2 and and got accepted, another friend who is a regular student applied to 40 schools in US and Canada...got invites from 25 went for interviews rejected in all except one he got waitlisted and now is the top5 in his class, there are people who post great scores on here all the time but there is a huge group of people who did not fair well stay under the radar and are in dental school just because they were persistent and tried their best, so what if you fall in the second group once you are a dentist no one cares about your scores....keep trying , keep improving , if this truly is your dream trust me it is an amazing dream...

all the best keep trying and you will get in as long as you prove to the school you are determined and can overcome any obstacle.. P.S dental school is a lot tougher than just taking NBDE exams so you have to build your character from now on to overcome these hurdles and you will see success

Clear Part2, and aim for schools with latest deadlines. There are plenty with deadlines on October and later.

If you plan accordingly you can have your Pass on Part2 by early September.

And if by then you still choose not to apply for this cycle, look at the bright side you'll have everything in your hands to be an early applicant the following year.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot spherulite and Hope4 for the motivation.
I am not giving up, may be the negative thoughts were just the immediate after effect of the part 2 score report stating fail. failed by just 2 points, I know I can do it, may be a little later than I planned.
Thanks guys.
Good Luck to you for your endeavors.