FAFSA with New Laws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ask

Scholar
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so 2 years ago when I decided to apply to medical school this year there were subsidized student loans at about $8500 per year and un-subsidized student loans at about $32,000 per year. I was only planning on taking the $8500 for each of the 4 years but it seems like now things have changed. If someone could just give me the basic breakdown of how things work for a independent-medical student in terms of federal loans for the year 2013. Naturally I will be asking the school which I matriculate to financial aid office for more information but it would be nice to have some prior knowledge of what is going on in the year 2013.

Members don't see this ad.

In med school you get:

Unsubsidized Stafford up to the Stafford limit, which depends on how much Stafford you've already borrowed, but is probably $40,500. Current rate is 6.8%.

Then GradPlus up to the school's cost of attendance. Current rate is 7.9%.

If you can't find this info at your med school, yell at them.

Best of luck to you.

In med school you get:

Unsubsidized Stafford up to the Stafford limit, which depends on how much Stafford you've already borrowed, but is probably $40,500. Current rate is 6.8%.

Then GradPlus up to the school's cost of attendance. Current rate is 7.9%.

If you can't find this info at your med school, yell at them.

Best of luck to you.

Ahhh just as i feared, so theres no more subsidized loans of any kind?

Ahhh just as i feared, so theres no more subsidized loans of any kind?

Correct. But all that was subsidized was $8500 per year. That's roughly 20% of the cost of a year of med school. Not worth losing sleep over it.