GW/MPH Financial Aid - haven't submitted FAFSA, am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It just dawned on me that I may have missed out on a chance to get financial aid. My dad is on the faculty at GW so I thought I'd be covered, but I recently found out that he only gets about half of my tuition covered. I'm employed and will be working part time once I'm in school, but I still won't be able to afford the tuition if I have to pay on a monthly basis.

First off, how are you supposed to apply when you don't know how many credits you'll be taking? They make it seem like their aid estimate is for how many credit hours you're in. Second, why is their deadline May 1st, but the FAFSA deadline is June 30th? I. Am. So. Confused.

Excited to have gotten into grad school, but now...I feel like my avatar. :bang::eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Just fill it out and submit it. It doesn't take very long as long as you have your tax return handy (less than an hour). All you have to indicate on it is whether you intend to attend full time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time, or less than half time.

It just dawned on me that I may have missed out on a chance to get financial aid. My dad is on the faculty at GW so I thought I'd be covered, but I recently found out that he only gets about half of my tuition covered. I'm employed and will be working part time once I'm in school, but I still won't be able to afford the tuition if I have to pay on a monthly basis.

First off, how are you supposed to apply when you don't know how many credits you'll be taking? They make it seem like their aid estimate is for how many credit hours you're in. Second, why is their deadline May 1st, but the FAFSA deadline is June 30th? I. Am. So. Confused.

Excited to have gotten into grad school, but now...I feel like my avatar. :bang::eek:

You need to fill out FAFSA through the gov and a student loan questionnaire through GW. Just guess how many credits you'll be taking. You can adjust after you've registered. It seems like a screwy system, but I guess because their tuition is per credit, it's the way you have to do it. You can PM me if you have any questions. I am a current student at GW.