the retirement thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retirement from whatever menial job you had to get you through undergrad and medical school!

Yeah so some of us might be taking a pay cut just to be called "doctor" but in the end, it is a lot better for my back, and with like 80% less urine and feces.

For me, I'm retiring from being a CNA. So for all the great years Miss Florence Nightingale I thank you, but I can't say that I'm sorry to be leaving the nursing profession!

What are you "retiring" from?

Members don't see this ad.

:rofl:

I seriously thought this was gonna be talking about retiring from medicine.

My ideal retirement age is 45 (won't happen, though).

I'm retiring from studenthood, bitches... :thumbup:

I didn't know you were a nurse till recently, props on going through the medicine route after nursing!

officially retired from nursing as of 0727 this morning...no more bed baths and a little less concentration of c-dif spores on my clothes, but sad leaving so many friends...
A mini liver rounds while I enjoy my pitty party:rolleyes:...I have a lot to be happy about as I graduate, move, and begin residency, but saying good bye to the friends and community I've known for the last 8 years hurts.

Members don't see this ad :)
officially retired from nursing as of 0727 this morning...no more bed baths and a little less concentration of c-dif spores on my clothes, but sad leaving so many friends...
A mini liver rounds while I enjoy my pitty party:rolleyes:...I have a lot to be happy about as I graduate, move, and begin residency, but saying good bye to the friends and community I've known for the last 8 years hurts.

Congrats Rach, especially on starting a new phase in your life. You're a DOCTOR now!! :thumbup:

Did you work all through med school?

I retired from the work force (I was a chiropractor) at the age of 38 - student loans paid off, home paid, hundreds of thousands in the bank. 2 years later I got tired of how boring my life was (cleaning the pool and getting the mail), and I went to medical school. Huge mistake. The guy who I did my nephrology rotation under looked at the the first day and said "are you out of your mind?". I didnt get it at the time. Now I just cannot imagine the insanity that gripped me. My life has gone down and down and down every year. I believe I will be able to retire again by age 60, and when I do I know I will stay more active because I was too damn inactive before..... but when I retire again I plan to just enjoy the people I love, who got neglected with the stupid jaunt through medical school I pulled as a middle aged person

I worked 3 of the 4 years of medical school, relying on my chiropractic/acupuncture etc - grossing around $80K per year.

I retired from the work force (I was a chiropractor) at the age of 38 - student loans paid off, home paid, hundreds of thousands in the bank. 2 years later I got tired of how boring my life was (cleaning the pool and getting the mail), and I went to medical school. Huge mistake. The guy who I did my nephrology rotation under looked at the the first day and said "are you out of your mind?". I didnt get it at the time. Now I just cannot imagine the insanity that gripped me. My life has gone down and down and down every year. I believe I will be able to retire again by age 60, and when I do I know I will stay more active because I was too damn inactive before..... but when I retire again I plan to just enjoy the people I love, who got neglected with the stupid jaunt through medical school I pulled as a middle aged person

I worked 3 of the 4 years of medical school, relying on my chiropractic/acupuncture etc - grossing around $80K per year.

Hopefully you're happy at this point.
How did you go about having all that $$ saved up? Please PM if you feel more comfortable doing that. Thanks!

Did you work all through med school?

work was full time (36-48h/week) through undergrad and then anywhere from 12h/month to 48/week during medical school depending on the rotation/time constraints etc.

Moving in 6 days, so at least there's that to take my mind off of my little +pity+ Now to enjoy the last few weeks of mini "retirement" before the real fun starts on July 1st!

But really? No other SDN nerds had previous menial jobs throughout college and med school that you're happy to retire from? (Mangus excluded, that was pure insanity but I do understand the boredom thing).

Didn't work during med school (other than between ms 1 & 2 doing research), but I worked plenty in high school and under grad. So here's to retiring from:

Telemarketing
Fast Food
Waitress
Secretary
Research Assistant

Really, really, really glad I will never have to do those again. Being a secretary was a good job and doing research was... valuable I guess... but the rest sucked. Hello, grown up world!!

Really, really, really glad I will never have to do those again. Being a secretary was a good job and doing research was... valuable I guess... but the rest sucked. Hello, grown up world!!

Woohoo grown-up world!:D

work was full time (36-48h/week) through undergrad and then anywhere from 12h/month to 48/week during medical school depending on the rotation/time constraints etc.

Moving in 6 days, so at least there's that to take my mind off of my little +pity+ Now to enjoy the last few weeks of mini "retirement" before the real fun starts on July 1st!

But really? No other SDN nerds had previous menial jobs throughout college and med school that you're happy to retire from? (Mangus excluded, that was pure insanity but I do understand the boredom thing).

Enjoy your vacation and congrats on all your hard work!

I have some bad news for you....

point taken...I'm presuming that residency is just another conveyor belt that I need to manage to stay on and jump when someone says "professionalism?"

To follow in the SDN tradition of it will all be better when...(i'm in college not high school...med school not college...residency not med school...)
At least I'll have a home with a great view of the mountains and an awesome hot tub to enjoy for the brief moments that I'm not in the hospital!

point taken...I'm presuming that residency is just another conveyor belt that I need to manage to stay on and jump when someone says "professionalism?"

To follow in the SDN tradition of it will all be better when...(i'm in college not high school...med school not college...residency not med school...)
At least I'll have a home with a great view of the mountains and an awesome hot tub to enjoy for the brief moments that I'm not in the hospital!

Residency Schmesidency. I'm talking about the "grown up world" in general.

Didn't work during med school (other than between ms 1 & 2 doing research), but I worked plenty in high school and under grad. So here's to retiring from:

Telemarketing
Fast Food
Waitress
Secretary
Research Assistant

I have to say that every day in my life as a medical student and as an intern been 1000 times better than being a telemarketer. I did that for so many summers back in high school and college, and yikes, no! I'd rather stick my finger up someone's butt (seriously!).

In basic sciences I went back home and cut grass-landscaped.
good: stayed in shape, got good tan, usually paid in cash
bad: breaks your back, heckled by friends dr. grass cutter etc.

Clinical years: bartender, catering worker
good: free booze, tips
bad: worked holidays, heckled dr. bartender

now: intern
good: made it
bad: probably heckled dr. barely

great thread rach!

Man, this has to be one of the most depressing things I've read on SDN! It's like you were sitting on a winning lottery ticket and then you lost it. :eek: