Hospital badge without M.D. after your name?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
f_w said:
Do you have video-phones ??

don't you know, there are some among us who have the mutated gene making them visiopaths. They can pretty much see visually whoever they are talking too, even if they are on the phone. We must stop them! Who is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

There were a few times I was paged by the nurse wondering if I was a med student or resident (due to the short white coat). This can be frustrating.

I guess I was confused by the scenario. If a nurse pages you, she won't see your short coat or ID.

Or did the nurse stand in front of you and paged you so she could confirm by the beeper going off that it is actually you, the intern listed for general surgery ?

fight for the md, if i ever got that far I would want it

f_w said:
I guess I was confused by the scenario. If a nurse pages you, she won't see your short coat or ID.

Or did the nurse stand in front of you and paged you so she could confirm by the beeper going off that it is actually you, the intern listed for general surgery ?

I was just joking around, i thought he meant the nurse must have seen him earlier and just couldnt' remember if he was a med student or resident. And then later on when she called she couldnt' remember (not that he was actually standing there with a short white coat)

turtle said:
I don't call the nurse "nurse Betty." I just call her "Betty." I don't call the janitor "janitor Bob," just "Bob." So I don't get upset, and in fact encourage it, when I am called by my first name. The only person I introduce myself to as "doctor" is my patients, and that's just to let them know who I am (since I dislike white coats so don't wear one). If you act like the physician, then you will be treated like one. If you act like an dingus, well, then... :D
Right on!!! :thumbup:

f_w said:

Maybe the nurse paged him, he actually went to see the patient (i.e. he didn't just use the phone and called back the nurse) and when the nurse saw him in his short coat THEN she was wondering if he was a med student or intern.

It's always fun to try and milk all the possibilities...reminds me of my internal medicine rotations with all the mental masturbation.

As a nurse, I can tell you that there is a subtle (and sometimes overt, see the DNP thread) power struggle between the nurses and doctors. You better believe there is something to the whole title thing. A lot of nurses (and others) are very intent on "knocking the doctors down a peg or two." Calling a doctor by their first name is often, but not always, just a power play for the nurse. You can argue with me but I've been around too long in too many places to be convinced otherwise.

I believe that as physicians, we should be very respectful and as kind as possible to all people, from the janitors to the administrators. We should not hold our title over peoples head. However, we are the leaders of the healthcare team and that role is rapidly degrading by the onslaught from so many other providers. Say what you will but calling an MD/DO by their first name in a professional setting is a subtle disrespect.

There is nothing wrong with being called doctor or having your initials put on your ID badge. I guarantee you that if you were in the military you wouldn't walk up to a colonel and call him "Bob." You may think it's stupid and I may be a little old fashioned but seeing the general decline of the physician I'm not giving in to this.

Got my I.D. today. I have an M.D. behind my name! :thumbup:

I'm a new PGY-1 and got a long coat embroidered with "beary, MD, PhD" and my ID badge says "beary, MD".

I think all our badges should say MD. We are MDs, and that's our job in the hospital. I don't think that's flaunting anything or being arrogant at all.

Now the folks who go out and get it on their checks, license plates, mailboxes, etc., is a different story. :rolleyes:

I slept in my coat last night.

JackBauERfan said:
I was just joking around, i thought he meant the nurse must have seen him earlier and just couldnt' remember if he was a med student or resident. And then later on when she called she couldnt' remember (not that he was actually standing there with a short white coat)

That's the correct scenario. But the other ones were amusing. :)

BTW, you guys are funny - the M.D. novelty may wear off after the first few rough calls. :)

Then again, I just got my new ID badge, and seeing "PGY-2" is nice.

Blade28 said:
BTW, you guys are funny - the M.D. novelty may wear off after the first few rough calls. :).
Refer to my previous post. I agree.

Blade28 said:
BTW, you guys are funny - the M.D. novelty may wear off after the first few rough calls. :)

Then again, I just got my new ID badge, and seeing "PGY-2" is nice.
I was wondering if you get a new badge after Internship.

Sinnman said:
As a nurse, I can tell you that there is a subtle (and sometimes overt, see the DNP thread) power struggle between the nurses and doctors. You better believe there is something to the whole title thing. A lot of nurses (and others) are very intent on "knocking the doctors down a peg or two." Calling a doctor by their first name is often, but not always, just a power play for the nurse. You can argue with me but I've been around too long in too many places to be convinced otherwise.

I believe that as physicians, we should be very respectful and as kind as possible to all people, from the janitors to the administrators. We should not hold our title over peoples head. However, we are the leaders of the healthcare team and that role is rapidly degrading by the onslaught from so many other providers. Say what you will but calling an MD/DO by their first name in a professional setting is a subtle disrespect.

There is nothing wrong with being called doctor or having your initials put on your ID badge. I guarantee you that if you were in the military you wouldn't walk up to a colonel and call him "Bob." You may think it's stupid and I may be a little old fashioned but seeing the general decline of the physician I'm not giving in to this.
You said it best.

It's not about being arrogant at all. It's just that as the above poster stated, some midlevels/ nurses really try to take shots at you whenever they can. It's a form of 'passive aggresiveness' at it's best.

Hi there,

I will relate this story. I was in rounds with an attending, my chief resident, (I was the third year resident) an intern and a couple of medical students. The attending introduced the chief resident, intern and medical students as Dr. So and So but introduced me by my first name (I was the only woman). There I stood in a lab coat with my name and MD-Ph.D on it and on my name badge. Everytime I walked into that patient's room after that, the patient referred to me as Dr. So and So's nurse even if I corrected them.

They don't read the name tags and they don't read the lab coats. It just doesn't matter.

njbmd :)

glorytaker said:
I was wondering if you get a new badge after Internship.

Not at my program. We are all "house staff." Not really emloyees, but not really students either. Our coats and name badges have MD but our university ID does not. No body pays any attention to it anyway.

njbmd said:
Hi there,

I will relate this story. I was in rounds with an attending, my chief resident, (I was the third year resident) an intern and a couple of medical students. The attending introduced the chief resident, intern and medical students as Dr. So and So but introduced me by my first name (I was the only woman). There I stood in a lab coat with my name and MD-Ph.D on it and on my name badge. Everytime I walked into that patient's room after that, the patient referred to me as Dr. So and So's nurse even if I corrected them.

They don't read the name tags and they don't read the lab coats. It just doesn't matter.

I have a similar story. I was volunteering in the ER one night. I was decked out in my green scrubs (different from the MD blues) with "Volunteer" stitched on them (and printed on my ID). I was cleaning out the soiled linens when I glanced to my right. There was this elderly lady in one of the beds, and in broken English, was crying out for her doctor. One of the EM docs, a woman, came over and said "I'm your doctor. How can I help you?" The patient says, "No, I want doctor," and points to me.

ThinkFast007 said:
Jocoomomma--point well taken. Actually I was trying to give the OP a way to address this subj w/ the secretary w/o sounding 'egotistical'.

F_W---> are you kidding me? True at the beginning interns are new and we do not have a good grasp of what's going on yet. However, that doesnt warrant nurses/allied personell to try to 'ride' you. I have seen nurses that really want to give residents/med students and even attendings a hard time ask to see their ID (if for example it was left in the OR). Does it happen, yes. I am by no means advocating that interns should walk around with their noses in the sky. However, all too often these days docs will just go by their first names amongst anxillary staff. Sure it's 'cool' to do. However, the line b/w doctor and nurse/staff becomes blurred. Sure respect is obtained via one's character, however, titles like "doctor' help to maintain professionalism all throughout the hospital.

That's it. this isnt meant to be a 'flame war' by the way.

OK, I have to say something about this. I work at a teaching hospital, and I do not see nurses giving students/interns/residents a hard time. Our new chief resident introduced himself to me as "John." We all work together quite well; none of the game playing you guys seem to describe as the norm.

On the other hand, I had the misfortune of assisting a doc with a procedure and watching him pimp his student endlessly with really, really bizarre questions. I felt so sorry for the student, and was po'd at the doc. He should have been focused on the pt., not coming up with off-the wall trivia questions just to torment the student.

And if titles are supposed to indicate respect for one's profession, why do docs think it's OK to address nurses by first name status only? Isn't that disrespectful?

For one, how does the way your chief resident introduces himself relate to nurses giving students/residents a hard time? As far as calling a nurse by his first name, they introduce themselves to me that way. I've never met a nurse that said, "Hi, I'm Nurse Smith" or "Hi, I'm Mister Smith". They usually say, "I'm Maryanne. I'm the circulating nurse" or something alonge those lines. If they want you to call them by their first names, how is it disrespectful?

Plus, I didn't go to school for 8 years to be called "Jeff". :laugh:

fab4fan said:
And if titles are supposed to indicate respect for one's profession, why do docs think it's OK to address nurses by first name status only? Isn't that disrespectful?

Do you prefer RN-Fab4Fan or Fab4Fan RN? The nurses here prefer neither of the above (yes I asked) and are fine being addressed by first name. I don't think referring to someone as they ask you to is disrespectful. Now if I need to reference them in medical charting then I do use the letters after their names.

To tell you the truth, I don't mind being called by my first name. I was simply pointing out that if a doc objects to being called by his/her first name because it shows a lack of professional respect, then he/she shouldn't feel it's OK to call nurses by their first names only. It's a bit hypocritical. Doctors are not the only people in the health care profession who deserve respect.

There is a faction of nursing that's advocating that nurses insist on being called "Nurse Jones" or whatever the nurse's last name is. I'm not one of them.

I'm sorry if you were confused by the first part of my post, mysophobe. Those lines weren't supposed to be in the same paragraph. I'm assuming you were still able to get the gist of what I said since you have eight years of education. Pardon me for my egregious editing. :rolleyes:

Rural: As far as which way I prefer to be addressed, "Fab" is just fine. :laugh:

fab4fan said:
To tell you the truth, I don't mind being called by my first name. I was simply pointing out that if a doc objects to being called by his/her first name because it shows a lack of professional respect, then he/she shouldn't feel it's OK to call nurses by their first names only. It's a bit hypocritical. Doctors are not the only people in the health care profession who deserve respect.

Please, spare me.

You do realize that this is studentDOCTOR.net right?

Nobody here is showing disrespect for nurses. The fact is there is a huge movement by various nursing organizations and individual nurses to achieve complete "equality" with physicians. In my opinion, calling a physician by his/her first name in a professional setting is a nothing less than a subtle stab.

Physicians have undergone a tremendous amount of work and sacrifice to obtain their place in healthcare. And yes, for that I think they deserve some respect. I have a lot of respect for nurses; I still am a nurse. Trust me, I've been there. But the amount of education and the level of responsibility of a physician versus a nurse are not even comparable.

Maybe it's my upbringing but I still refer to people older than my as Mr. and Mrs. and anyone with a doctorate as Dr. in the appropriate setting.

I certainly do not need any lesions on respect from you. You clearly have your own agenda. And please know that when you, as a nurse and NP that has never made reference to wanting to go to medical school, constantly post defensive comments about nurses and NPs on a physician/medical student forum you are making your intentions obvious.

I have MD on my badge but not my PhD; as well as on my coat.

Those of us who have MD, PhD went to the PD to try to change this, but they will not add PhD. My guess it is because the PD is non PhD. I am not ego hungrey but I eraned both. Now that I am a senior resident I hae learned a few things before I go off to fellowship. One major one is, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I went and bought all new coats and sport the MD, PhD and big bold ass letters. It was not to fill my need, but to make it known that it is "our" right to show our earned titles.

Those of you interns you will also notice that your ID's will be beat up in a month and you will not even see yourslef, much less your name, and half the time you will forget it when you get a code... Just roll with it and do things on your own.

endodoc said:
I have MD on my badge but not my PhD; as well as on my coat.

Those of us who have MD, PhD went to the PD to try to change this, but they will not add PhD. My guess it is because the PD is non PhD. I am not ego hungrey but I eraned both.

That sucks. It is an earned degree that is pertinent to the medical field and should be on your coat at least.

I was told that I couldn't have my MPH on my coat because it wasn't done at my medical school. My PD backed me up on this with our medical education department--so my coat (although not my ID) lists my MPH.

There is a faction of nursing that's advocating that nurses insist on being called "Nurse Jones" or whatever the nurse's last name is. I'm not one of them.

I'll address people by whatever name I get 'introduced' to them.

If I come to a floor and the big dry erase board says 'Betty' next to my patients name, I'll address her as Betty. If it says 'Joe Smith', I'll ask for 'Joe Smith'. A precious few older nurses wish to be addressed as Mrs or Ms. If this is what it says on her ID or the patient board, I am just fine to go with that.

With the nursing and technical staff within our department, there is no question. I address them by their first names, and they address me however they want. Some of the junior people will go with the 'Dr W' thing, but most of the older ones will just go with my first name.

Sinnman said:
Please, spare me.

You do realize that this is studentDOCTOR.net right?

Nobody here is showing disrespect for nurses. The fact is there is a huge movement by various nursing organizations and individual nurses to achieve complete "equality" with physicians. In my opinion, calling a physician by his/her first name in a professional setting is a nothing less than a subtle stab.

Physicians have undergone a tremendous amount of work and sacrifice to obtain their place in healthcare. And yes, for that I think they deserve some respect. I have a lot of respect for nurses; I still am a nurse. Trust me, I've been there. But the amount of education and the level of responsibility of a physician versus a nurse are not even comparable.

Maybe it's my upbringing but I still refer to people older than my as Mr. and Mrs. and anyone with a doctorate as Dr. in the appropriate setting.

I certainly do not need any lesions on respect from you. You clearly have your own agenda. And please know that when you, as a nurse and NP that has never made reference to wanting to go to medical school, constantly post defensive comments about nurses and NPs on a physician/medical student forum you are making your intentions obvious.

Whatever. For the record, though, I'm not an NP. And yes, if I see posts that appear disrespectful to nurses, I am going to say something, just as I have spoken out against NPs who have posted here bashing docs.

Thanks for the reminder of how much education it takes to become a physician. As a nurse at a teaching hospital, I had absolutely no idea what it takes to become a doctor.

I rate this thread :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To the OP, your ID gets you into the employee parking lot and a cafeteria discount. If they code it right (and depending what specialty you are) it'll get you into the newborn nursery or the ICU. Otherwise its value for confirming your status as an M!D! is pretty meaningless. Don't worry, the nurses will know you're a new doctor by the :scared: look on your face the first day.

For those who seem to think that you need a title in order to work with nurses: get over yourselves. Although you write "orders" that nurses "follow," you are not their boss. Which they will let you know if you try to act like one.

And yeah, the novelty of being called "doctor" wears off mighty quick. First night on call, every ten minutes: "Hi this is Dr. mamadoc, I was paged.... " "Hello this is Dr. mamadoc, I was paged...." "Hi this is Dr. mamadoc, did you page the medicine intern?" Pretty soon "doctor" sounds like a dirty word.

That's funny. I used to wear 3 names tags on my white coat when I first started rotations and I still constantly get "What's your name?" Just goes to show that no one notices.

mamadoc said:
I rate this thread :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To the OP, your ID gets you into the employee parking lot and a cafeteria discount. If they code it right (and depending what specialty you are) it'll get you into the newborn nursery or the ICU. Otherwise its value for confirming your status as an M!D! is pretty meaningless. Don't worry, the nurses will know you're a new doctor by the :scared: look on your face the first day.

For those who seem to think that you need a title in order to work with nurses: get over yourselves. Although you write "orders" that nurses "follow," you are not their boss. Which they will let you know if you try to act like one.

And yeah, the novelty of being called "doctor" wears off mighty quick. First night on call, every ten minutes: "Hi this is Dr. mamadoc, I was paged.... " "Hello this is Dr. mamadoc, I was paged...." "Hi this is Dr. mamadoc, did you page the medicine intern?" Pretty soon "doctor" sounds like a dirty word.

you sound like the guy earlier who attacked the original poster for wanting to have his M.D. on his badge. ironically, the accuser had M.D., J.D. after his screename. and as for you, mama"doc", yea doctor is such dirty useless title.

bottomline, it is standard to display pertinent titles on one's identification badge. all the hospitals i've been at and the friends i've asked, all residents have M.D. after their name on thier badge. displaying titles is not unique to medicine, you'll see this in the military, etc etc. It creates a professional environment.

Sinnman said:
In my opinion, calling a physician by his/her first name in a professional setting is a nothing less than a subtle stab.

I get offended when nurses, techs, and secretaries call me Dr. I always tell them to call me by my first name.

When I first started residency, I introduced myself by first and last name -- never as Dr. My section chief told us to explicitly introduce ourselves as Dr. I started doing that for a while, and it felt too pretentious. So I have gone back to introducing myself by first and last name, and then telling the patient I'm the senior resident physician who will be taking care of them.

If patients choose to call me Dr., then sobeit. If nurses call me Dr., then I usually ask that they call me by first name. I didn't change my first name to Doctor when I graduated medical school.

Well, I think it silly you get "offended" that your staff call you "dr". Anyway, The OP is right, that many hospital administration especially human resources are made up of a majority of nurses, and to take the the title MD out of the name, while the rest of the entire medical staff, including environmental services, wear long white coats and get to have initials after their names. Ive seen respiratory threpapist with more than 4 abbreviations and a critical care nurse can fill up her whole badge with all the little certitification titles after their names. Anyway, removing MD from the name tag IS a subtle way of degrading physician authority/autonomy in the hospital. Say what you want, As a former capitol hill staffer, now MD, the midlevels have been gunning for our roles for years now, and it won't quit. Luckily, in my hospital, MD's, RN's and the other members of the team exist in harmony to the benefit of patient care, unfortunately, I think we are a minority situation in todays world. By the way, did the OP ever get his initials?? :)

apache- i never thought of it like that. good point.

well it feels wrong to me to have nurses/staff call me dr, unless we are in front of a patient. some people call me by my first name, some just by my last, and others by dr last name.

whats wierd is having attendings wanting me to call them by their first name.

I figure that there are lots of different healthcare professionals in and out of patients' rooms every day. While not all patients read the coat embroidery or ID badges or listen to how we introduce ourselves, anything that we can do to clarify our role for them is helpful. Having a degree listed on your badge assists with that. Not all patients understand what a resident or intern is, so that alone can still be confusing.

APACHE3 said:
Well, I think it silly you get "offended" that your staff call you "dr". Anyway, The OP is right, that many hospital administration especially human resources are made up of a majority of nurses, and to take the the title MD out of the name, while the rest of the entire medical staff, including environmental services, wear long white coats and get to have initials after their names. Ive seen respiratory threpapist with more than 4 abbreviations and a critical care nurse can fill up her whole badge with all the little certitification titles after their names. Anyway, removing MD from the name tag IS a subtle way of degrading physician authority/autonomy in the hospital. Say what you want, As a former capitol hill staffer, now MD, the midlevels have been gunning for our roles for years now, and it won't quit. Luckily, in my hospital, MD's, RN's and the other members of the team exist in harmony to the benefit of patient care, unfortunately, I think we are a minority situation in todays world. By the way, did the OP ever get his initials?? :)

Hi Guys,
I am telling you that this name badge stuff really doesn't matter much in the long run. I got the degree, got the badge and lab coat with the initials behind my name. I don't care how many people are walking around in long white coats, when a chest needs to be opened, it is me that they all defer to and run to. I have earned my respect by being a very competent surgeon who gets the job done. In fact, most of the time, I can be found wearing a thick sweatshirt (UVa) over my scrubs because I am freezing in those cold drafty hospitals.

People can gun all they want, when the s--t starts to fly, guess who they all call. Ghostbusters???? :laugh:

Damn right. They don't respect you until they need you to save their asses. Then it's "Doctor, we need you right now!". And of course, when it's all over, it's back to "hey Bob, get your crap off the desk." :laugh:

Dont get me wrong, as I make more friendships over the duration of my residency, I am sure the other staff will call me by my first name, and thats cool with me. (I only mentioned it because Southern doc said she gets offended) As for running around with a Uva sweatshirt (And I'm at a Uva residency!!), surgeons dont usually have white coats, stethoscopes etc. and usually their patients are sleeping while they work. For hospital administration, ie HR, ie nurses!,...unilaterally taking MD out of the name tags is BS and is a continuing chipping away at MD authority in the hospital. As long as they continue to teach in nursing school that nurses are the patient advocate to protect the pateint from whom???....the MD, then the matter will never be resolved. The OP deserves his initials..he/she earned them!!! By the way, I'm think of changing my name to Dr. von Apache3...makes me sound smarter!! :D

njbmd said:
Hi Guys,
I am telling you that this name badge stuff really doesn't matter much in the long run. I got the degree, got the badge and lab coat with the initials behind my name. I don't care how many people are walking around in long white coats, when a chest needs to be opened, it is me that they all defer to and run to. I have earned my respect by being a very competent surgeon who gets the job done. In fact, most of the time, I can be found wearing a thick sweatshirt (UVa) over my scrubs because I am freezing in those cold drafty hospitals.

People can gun all they want, when the s--t starts to fly, guess who they all call. Ghostbusters???? :laugh:

The only residents I see wearing sweatshirts are the surgery residents and attendings. So if anything, you're not hiding your status, but pointint it out. Secondly, your screenname has md at the end.

By the way, I'm think of changing my name to Dr. von Apache3...makes me sound smarter!!

Well, it certainly would make you sound like the product of hundreds of years of european aristocratic inbreeding.

mysophobe said:

Mysophobe, you had your AIM information posted on your profile (bad mistake). Googling this screen name should illustrate everything else, barring which google cache should have everything saved. The issue of "MD" after your name is irrelevant, as you have not earned it. (but maybe your online personality has!!)

I see you've removed the link. Here it is in google cache for everyone to see:

*edited by DrMom. Not cool to come on here to "out" another user*

APACHE3 wrote:

For hospital administration, ie HR, ie nurses!,...unilaterally taking MD out of the name tags is BS and is a continuing chipping away at MD authority in the hospital.

For the record, doctors should have MD/DO on their badges. To remove that is not a nursing decision...that's an HR move. Dr. Mom shouldn't have had to fight for the "MPH" on her badge, either.

If someone has worked hard to obtain specialty designations/certifications, then he/she should be able to have them on the ID badge. But I think that applies to all healthcare providers, not just docs.

fab4fan said:
APACHE3 wrote:If someone has worked hard to obtain specialty designations/certifications, then he/she should be able to have them on the ID badge. But I think that applies to all healthcare providers, not just docs.

There comes a limit to how many you can list.

southerndoc, md phd mph mba nremt-p

I'm perfectly content that my badge doesn't have MD on it. However, it does have "Dr." (I could care less). We are identified as physicians by our badges having a red border. Nurses and administration are identified with a blue border. Non-clinical staff have a yellow border.

Of course, after my badge was printed up, it says Dr. Idiopathic, MD.

Sounds great, huh? But of course Im a DO...I just assumed they had my initials, because all she needed to pull me up was my last name. I didnt notice until I left the building. And anyway, its $15 for a new card apparently, so I held off on doing it yesterday. Ill make sure my white coats are correct (we submitted an exact 'how do you want this printed' form) so we can correct everything at once.

It feels weird though, because Im the only DO in my service of 13 interns (I think there are a couple more on the other services) and I wouldnt want someone to think I was trying to appropriate their degree or that I wasnt proud of mine. So Ive had my ID card turned around for two days now ;)

southerndoc said:
There comes a limit to how many you can list.

southerndoc, md phd mph mba nremt-p

I'm perfectly content that my badge doesn't have MD on it. However, it does have "Dr." (I could care less). We are identified as physicians by our badges having a red border. Nurses and administration are identified with a blue border. Non-clinical staff have a yellow border.

I agree, to a point.

Idiopathic, you're not saying that you have to pay the $15 to get your badge corrected, are you? It was their mistake.

fab4fan said:
I agree, to a point.

Idiopathic, you're not saying that you have to pay the $15 to get your badge corrected, are you? It was their mistake.

Well, that was the pat answer I got when I went back. Of course, there was a long line. I dont think it will be a problem, but if my coats have to be fixed, then I may have to be MD for a few weeks.