University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LadyWolverine said:
PS is anyone else ordering scrubs from AllHeart.com? We could combine our orders and split the shipping. Also, if the combined order is 10+ pairs, we save a bit on them. I'm willing to pay for the order if you pay me back on delivery. Let me know if you are interested - I want to order 3-4 pairs and the shipping is around $10. I'd like to order them soon, so let me know by email if you want to combine orders.
I'll split an order with you. I was probably going to order around 4 pairs as well. Does the smell from anatomy permeate everything? I only have one pair of tennis shoes, and I don't want them to end up smelling so bad that I have to throw them away. They had these slip on clogs on allheart.com for only $10, and I was curious if it might be worth it to get those too.

Members don't see this ad.

SuzieQ3417 said:
I'll split an order with you. I was probably going to order around 4 pairs as well. Does the smell from anatomy permeate everything? I only have one pair of tennis shoes, and I don't want them to end up smelling so bad that I have to throw them away. They had these slip on clogs on allheart.com for only $10, and I was curious if it might be worth it to get those too.

Formeldehyde loves rubber, fabric and hair. Either get the clogs or get a cheap pair of sneakers at payless or something. I didn't do PSP, but from what I've been told, you won't want to keep anything you wear in once the class is over.

I bought some comfy sneakers specifically for anatomy this summer. and they actually don't smell that bad, but I was pretty good about not getting anything on them (easier said than done), and we only had 3 weeks of anatomy, as opposed to 9, so it didn't give them time to smell ultra-yucky. I spent a lot of time on my feet in lab, so I found it worth the $30 investment to buy a relatively nice and comfortable pair of sneakers. I'm sure that by the time S&D is over, I'll want to burn them, too.

SQ, let me know the sizes & colors that you want. Anyone else who wants in - email me with size/color specifics by this evening. I'll order them tonight or tomorrow morning. Once they get shipped, I'll let you know what your total is, and you can cut me a check once they arrive.

Woohoo! How long now?! I can't wait to start!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
LW - I just sent you an email with size/color choices to your Maryland account.

SuzieQ3417 said:
LW - I just sent you an email with size/color choices to your Maryland account.
Hi guys,
Just wanted to see what is going on at UMD and could not help not posting about Anatomy: YOU WILL NOT WANT TO TAKE HOME ANYTHING THAT WAS IN LAB. That smell penetrated everything, and we do have that super new ventilation system installed.
Most of the people used two scrub system: 1. wake up and put on a pair of scrubs. 2. walk to school and change in a different pair of scrubs from an anatomy locker (my group shared one of our lockers and just put only stinky anatomy stuff in). 3. go to anatomy lab.4. after the lab change in the first pair of scrubs, leave "stinky" in the locker.5. go home. take a shower, take a shower again... and again. I also washed the first pair scrubs almost every day.

Our upper classmates donated their scrubs to us and we'll do the same for the incoming year.

Also buy a cheap pair of shoes, like at WalMart for $7 and wear them only in the lab.

For girls: to save your hair use shower caps (and cover them up with bandanas or a scarf, actually looks cool). Also double glove and change gloves frequently.

Anatomy was fun, but too much smell. Fyi: that smell makes you hungry somehow...It is weird but true, ask around...

OK, I have an order from several people who expressed and interest. I didn't get a chance to submit it last night, but I'll do it today at work. Yay, scrubs! This is gonna be like the biggest order ever!
lol
2 weeks, people!! 2 weeks from today!! :thumbup:

PS if you're in Baltimore and want to go out tonight, call me!! (Or, I guess email me since most of you don't have my # yet...) :)

Scrubs are ordered. I sent an email to those of you in on it. That took a lot longer to do than I thought it would. :thumbdown:

I should get a big box in a week or so...yay, scrubs!

I just found out that one of our would-be classmates just withdrew today because she got into an MD/PhD program at a different school...I wonder if they will replace her with someone else? Someone's gonna get a phone call from UMD saying "get your stuff together and move to Baltimore, we have an open space and orientation is in 2 weeks!" So for all you wait-listers, good luck getting that coveted spot! :)

It's too bad, though, because she was really nice. :(

LadyWolverine said:
Scrubs are ordered. I sent an email to those of you in on it. That took a lot longer to do than I thought it would. :thumbdown:

I should get a big box in a week or so...yay, scrubs!

I just found out that one of our would-be classmates just withdrew today because she got into an MD/PhD program at a different school...I wonder if they will replace her with someone else? Someone's gonna get a phone call from UMD saying "get your stuff together and move to Baltimore, we have an open space and orientation is in 2 weeks!" So for all you wait-listers, good luck getting that coveted spot! :)

It's too bad, though, because she was really nice. :(
Wow, that's really sudden notice. They aren't kidding when you hear stories of people accepted off waitlists right up until classes begin.

Also, thanks for ordering those scrubs. Hooray scrubs! ;)

SuzieQ3417 said:
Wow, that's really sudden notice. They aren't kidding when you hear stories of people accepted off waitlists right up until classes begin.

Also, thanks for ordering those scrubs. Hooray scrubs! ;)

I know its crazy. One of my uncles applied three cycles before getting in. The third time, he only had waitlist spots. He got a call literally the day before classes started. Can you imagine? "Hey, classes are at 8am, can you catch the red eye?"

Yikes! Well, hopefully our new classmate will be equally as nice. We'll see!

what is our student ID number (for the HIPAA form)? is this the same number as our userid for the health insurance website thing?

Hi everyone! I just got in off the waitlist and I have basically 2 weeks to move from FL, find somewhere to live and get all my paperwork in. I am actually out of town right now so I do not have all the information from the interview day about student apartments. Do you know any places left around the campus? Do you know anyone that needs a roommate? I am desperate for information so if anyone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. My email is

[email protected]
cell: 9046697469

KatdyerA1A said:
Hi everyone! I just got in off the waitlist and I have basically 2 weeks to move from FL, find somewhere to live and get all my paperwork in. I am actually out of town right now so I do not have all the information from the interview day about student apartments. Do you know any places left around the campus? Do you know anyone that needs a roommate? I am desperate for information so if anyone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. My email is

[email protected]
Try the UMB res life website: http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/commercial.cfm

The apartments marked with an * indicate that they are within walking distance of the med school. I would start there and call each place to see if they have any openings.

There is also university sponsored housing, at http://www.fayettesquare.com/fs/

Those apartments are already furnished, and they are right next to the med school. They might be able to match you with a roommate, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
KatdyerA1A said:

[email protected]

Hey I just emailed you

Welcome, Kat! Congrats on sticking it out this long. Don't worry, 2 weeks should be enough time! Are you a Florida resident? You have a Hopkins email - I'm assuming you've lived in Baltimore before?

Congrats and goodluck to everyone going to UMD :) I'm not going to UMD, but I'm moving out of Bmore soon and trying to sell furniture. If there's anyone who's still looking for furniture, I have a list of items that I'm planning on selling. Please PM me if you're interested :)

LadyWolverine said:
T-minus 10 more days of freedom and counting!!!

:thumbup:
:eek:

Of course, the first few days shouldn't be too demanding...otherwise they wouldn't have us scheduled to go out to bars each night.

SuzieQ3417 said:
:eek:

Of course, the first few days shouldn't be too demanding...otherwise they wouldn't have us scheduled to go out to bars each night.

Did you guys get that HIPAA training email? Did you have to sign up or anything? The email didn't come through right on gmail and I'm having some difficulty deciphering it.

Also, where did you see that $200 fee we have to bring on the first day?

CONGRATS everyone! Welcome to UMB SOM. Orientation is a blast - use it to meet as many people as you possibly can. Go out every night if you can. All hell breaks loose before you know. The first two years are very demanding, but I've had some of the most fun of my life as well.

The 200 bucks is for locker rental and your bone box. Just the man trying to hold you down. Get accustomed to unforseen fees. Step 1 cost about 400 buck. Step II CS and CK will be about 1200 bucks plus travel. Applying to residency can cost thousands (~ 4 k for me) between the appications cost (~ 400 bucks) and travel. Plan ahead. Save a few bucks here and there and you'll be fine.

Ciao.

akestler said:
Did you guys get that HIPAA training email? Did you have to sign up or anything? The email didn't come through right on gmail and I'm having some difficulty deciphering it.

Also, where did you see that $200 fee we have to bring on the first day?

I just checked and found the email. Mine came through my mizzou account and worked fine.

From the email:

http://medschool.umaryland.edu/HIPAA/quiz/index.asp

Click on [lookup/request a login].
On the next page, you will have an opportunity to check for an existing employee/student ID number or to generate a new number.
Enter your Last name and First name. Click Submit

If no record displays, click on Empid Assignment,
IMPORTANT - Select "SOM Office of Medical Ed" for the department
IMPORTANT - enter "SOM10 medical student" as the title.
Enter email address and select HIPAA Training for the reason.
Hit submit and you will be at the HIPAA log in page.
Password is your first name.
When finished, we recommend you print out your certification certificate.

I also received a second email that says to only complete the HIPAA 125.

SuzieQ3417 said:
I also received a second email that says to only complete the HIPAA 125.

Dude, I feel like such a chump. I got that email today, but I spent over an hour yesterday completing ALL THREE. What a waste of time! :mad:

Here are the things we have to do:
1) Grr...HIPAA training. I think I'll print all 3 certs and frame them.
2) Submit transcripts from all undergrad/grad schools - I JUST got a letter about this last week. Why they waited until NOW to let me know that the AMCAS transcripts aren't acceptable is beyond me, but apparently we have to give them official transcripts from all schools.
3) Submit immunization forms to UMD and get TWO (not one, but TWO) PPDs. They have to be administered at least a week apart, so make sure you do it soon!
4) Decide to keep current health insurance plan, or get the University's coverage.
5) Stay sober enough to make it to 11am orientation next Thursday. Bring $200 check with me for a locker that I've already been using for 2 months, and a box of bones.

On a lighter note, I just found out that my state delegate is giving me another $2,000 to go to Maryland. Doesn't put a huge dent in the loans, but hell, every little bit helps. Hooray, local government!

LadyWolverine said:
On a lighter note, I just found out that my state delegate is giving me another $2,000 to go to Maryland. Doesn't put a huge dent in the loans, but hell, every little bit helps. Hooray, local government!

Oh that sucks that they just gave you the letter now. I did mine early; I thought there was something in our acceptance letters about it that said we needed to have them in by July 1st. Its odd they waited a whole month to remind you that they didn't get yours!

Also, I think I need to start shmoozing my state lawmakers. "Hey look at me! I bought a house in a neighborhood targeted for revitalization! I am going to UMD! I did not get any grants at all! Give me money!!!" :rolleyes:

hey y'all. Does anyone know if we need to own a stethescope at the beginning of or sometime during MSI? If so, should I wait until orientation (i.e., are there special deals the university or outside agents offer us med students?) or pick one up now if I can find a good deal?

....anyways, just a lil over a week left until orientation and already starting to feel the freedom a non-stress summer slowly slip away :scared: lol though i'm anxious and excited to start!

wait now what??? 2 ppds?????? where do u see that?

LadyWolverine said:
Dude, I feel like such a chump. I got that email today, but I spent over an hour yesterday completing ALL THREE. What a waste of time! :mad:

1) Grr...HIPAA training. I think I'll print all 3 certs and frame them.
2) Submit transcripts from all undergrad/grad schools - I JUST got a letter about this last week. Why they waited until NOW to let me know that the AMCAS transcripts aren't acceptable is beyond me, but apparently we have to give them official transcripts from all schools.
3) Submit immunization forms to UMD and get TWO (not one, but TWO) PPDs. They have to be administered at least a week apart, so make sure you do it soon!
4) Decide to keep current health insurance plan, or get the University's coverage.
5) Stay sober enough to make it to 11am orientation next Thursday. Bring $200 check with me for a locker that I've already been using for 2 months, and a box of bones.

LadyWolverine said:

I got that same transcript letter, and the funny thing was that I already submitted my transcripts because I thought there was a July 1 deadline. Turns out my Mizzou transcript had to be re-sent because the initial copy did not have my final degree awarded info....it did not contain that info until well after July 1 (I didn't get my diploma until last week), so I knew I would have to send a new copy. As for my transcript from a community college that I took classes through in high school...they thought I didn't send them a copy, but I did, and I had to point out to their admissions office that they should try looking under my maiden name. Lol....I wonder what they were thinking when a transcript rolled in that didn't match anyone's last name. It's all been straightened out, though.

As for these PPD's...I remember you mentioning those, but I haven't received any letter or email saying I need to get them. Did you guys just find this out ahead of time because of PSP? Where should I go to get that taken care of?

Arg so much to do! As of yesterday, I'm officially done with full-time work!! I'm still working from home for 20/hrs a week until classes start. It took me forever this morning to remotely connect to the network at work, but now I'm just sitting here installing all the updates the POS loaner laptop they gave me needs to be able to efficiently connect me to my desktop back at the office. But whatever, no more driving in the car for 2.5 hours a day! Yay!

So I guess I'll just have to see if I can make it through with 3 pairs of scrubs. My aunt said she was going to send me some, but she ended up only putting books in the box. I guess I can always order more scrubs if I feel like I really need them.

Now that work is done I'll really need to figure out what to do with all the health forms and whatnot. Sigh.

Happy Belated Last Day of Work, LS!! You're well on your way (as are the rest of us) to joining the ranks of the not-so-gainfully unemployed for the next 4 years. What are you going to do with your extra 12-or-so hours a week? Now that you're not spending them in the car...you must not know what to do with yourself. :) I heart my new George Forman grill...it makes yummy mesquite grilled chicken breasts.

No word on the scrubs yet. But don't worry, I think we have a week plus until anatomy lab actually begins. I'm still waiting for my coffee shipment from Gloria Jeans...I bought like 100 pods for my Keurig. Once again, I'm hopelessly addicted to coffee.

Deepy, I found out about the PPDs when I went to the student/employee health center to drop off my forms last week. My boss's office is close to the health center, and after meeting with him last week, and I decided that, rather than mailing my immunization records, I'd stop over to deliver them in person and introduce myself. I'm lucky I did, because the nurse told me that all incoming med students need to have TWO PPDs done. Luckily, she wasn't too busy, so she gave me the injection on the spot, and I came back 2 days later to have it read. I get my second round tomorrow morning (they need to be administered at least one week apart). I can only imagine what a cluster-**** it's going to be once everyone finds out they need to have them done, because it's not just the med school, but law/pharm/etc, too. So make an appointment now. The address is 29 S. Paca. I'm not sure what the number is, but it should be on one of those forms that you got from them. Call & set up an appointment with the nurse that does student immunizations - she's really nice.

So, moral of the story - go get your PPDs NOW so you don't have to wait in line later. It only took 10 minutes, and that was including the time it took the receptionist to enter all of my new information and make me a new account.

Docster, please don't be that person who shows up to orientation with a stethescope around their neck. That will just give the rest of us license to make fun of you for the rest of the year. :)

I think we should wait to get our doctor-y stuff. But that's just me. I don't forsee using a stethescope during the first couple weeks of class. But I do think we start learning that stuff in the clinical skills portion of our curriculum...one of the second-years demonstrated a physical exam to us during PSP, and he used a stethescope.

I've heard from many that it makes sense to wait and hold off on all the medical supplies since you don't *really* need the stuff for a while...

Hey akestler, I'm getting doggie fever again. I think I'm going to go to the animal shelter today and take a look around.

Of course, more than a dog, I want that plasma TV and surround sound system that I've been eyeing at Sam's club. Then I can invite you guys over for Tuesday night TV each week - House & SVU would be sooooo much better on a plasma.

I should probably get a couch, first, though. :idea:

lol... i was going to be a little more inconspicuous and keep it tucked away in my white coat pocket during orientation and only whip it out later during happy hour :laugh: :D

naw, all joking aside i just wanted to know if we might need a stethescope during the first month or so. a couple of friends mentioned buying one off ebay for cheap, so i just wondered if i should get that taken care of now or wait till we get comparable/better deals at school.

Hey there,

I am an incoming MII at UMD. You don't need to worry about buying any equipment, you really don't need it at all during the first year. Anyhow, vendors will come to sell you equipment around Jan/Feb - that's when first years buy all their stuff.

LadyWolverine said:
Hey akestler, I'm getting doggie fever again. I think I'm going to go to the animal shelter today and take a look around.

Of course, more than a dog, I want that plasma TV and surround sound system that I've been eyeing at Sam's club. Then I can invite you guys over for Tuesday night TV each week - House & SVU would be sooooo much better on a plasma.

I should probably get a couch, first, though. :idea:

lets go dog shopping together, i'll be in bmore for good starting sunday. gonna get ppds and wait around for some deliveries on monday/tuesday but otherwise i am free.

As for house and svu...tuesday ngiht for me is normally rescue me and the unit... but i was planning on having 24 night on mondays...and we can't forget about lost on wednesdays.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh no that blows!!!! did you do it through student health or through your insurance? thanks for the info LW!

LadyWolverine said:
Happy Belated Last Day of Work, LS!! You're well on your way (as are the rest of us) to joining the ranks of the not-so-gainfully unemployed for the next 4 years. What are you going to do with your extra 12-or-so hours a week? Now that you're not spending them in the car...you must not know what to do with yourself. :) I heart my new George Forman grill...it makes yummy mesquite grilled chicken breasts.

No word on the scrubs yet. But don't worry, I think we have a week plus until anatomy lab actually begins. I'm still waiting for my coffee shipment from Gloria Jeans...I bought like 100 pods for my Keurig. Once again, I'm hopelessly addicted to coffee.

Deepy, I found out about the PPDs when I went to the student/employee health center to drop off my forms last week. My boss's office is close to the health center, and after meeting with him last week, and I decided that, rather than mailing my immunization records, I'd stop over to deliver them in person and introduce myself. I'm lucky I did, because the nurse told me that all incoming med students need to have TWO PPDs done. Luckily, she wasn't too busy, so she gave me the injection on the spot, and I came back 2 days later to have it read. I get my second round tomorrow morning (they need to be administered at least one week apart). I can only imagine what a cluster-**** it's going to be once everyone finds out they need to have them done, because it's not just the med school, but law/pharm/etc, too. So make an appointment now. The address is 29 S. Paca. I'm not sure what the number is, but it should be on one of those forms that you got from them. Call & set up an appointment with the nurse that does student immunizations - she's really nice.

So, moral of the story - go get your PPDs NOW so you don't have to wait in line later. It only took 10 minutes, and that was including the time it took the receptionist to enter all of my new information and make me a new account.

Docster, please don't be that person who shows up to orientation with a stethescope around their neck. That will just give the rest of us license to make fun of you for the rest of the year. :)

I think we should wait to get our doctor-y stuff. But that's just me. I don't forsee using a stethescope during the first couple weeks of class. But I do think we start learning that stuff in the clinical skills portion of our curriculum...one of the second-years demonstrated a physical exam to us during PSP, and he used a stethescope.

Wow, Ari, you'll finally admit that you're not too cool for Baltimore? :) Nah, that's cool that you are moving up here this weekend. I definitely want you to come dog-shopping with me. I need help! I have no idea what I'm going to do with my floors, though, if I get a dog. I'm afraid it'll scuff my tile. I guess I could put down rugs or something, and just banish poor poochie from my room. Are you going to get a dog, too, or do you just want to "borrow" mine? How about if it's YOUR dog, but it just lives at my house?

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of 24. I don't have a "monday night" show. Wednesdays at 10 are reserved for Law & Order...although it's been a steady downhill without Jerry Orbach, and Dennis Farina gets on my nerves. I heard they are probably moving L&O to Friday nights, though, so I'll probably need a new Wednesday night. NBC has some really screwed-up ideas about loyalty - L&O has been their workhorse for over 15 years, and instead of retiring it honorably, they move it to the graveyard shift to die a slow, painful death. I would boycott NBC if SVU wasn't on the same network. I can't live without my weekly dose of Elliot Stabler.

I guess that Lost is as good as anything, so here's your chance. Make me a fan. :)

Deepy, the PPDs are no-charge, so don't worry about the insurance or anything - just get them done.

So as a new member of the class I have been spending my last free days reading through this thread. Very interesting stuff on all 70 pages! So I am planning on driving up from FL sometime this week. I got an apartment at the Sail Cloth so I am pretty excited. Anyone interested in helping me move and go and buy furniture? And a TV. I must say I am a huge fan of House, Law and Order, Project Runway, Entourage, Bones and I hate to admit it but I like the OC. I am going to get a DVR with my comcast box. When I was at Hopkins this thing was great because you can just zoom through commercials so technically you are saving time while still watching TV. So, do we get our laptops the first day of orientation or of class? I do not know if I can go without internet for 5 days because I am not going to bring my old laptop.

Oh yeah..and do you think there is anyway I can become an MD state resident after this year? I have been looking into it and it seems the only way I could be one is if I marry one and be his dependent! I was born at Sinai Hospital, doesn't that count for something???

oh hey guys my PC died last week and then I went out of town and all hell broke loose and here I am $800 poorer and way behind.

Oh balls. LW, who left the class?

Do we send our Transcript to the Admissions office? I am still waiting on my acceptance packet so I am not sure of everything I have to do yet. I did get my first TB done though. I told my doctor here that I had to get 2 of them and he thought that was strange.

KatdyerA1A said:
Do we send our Transcript to the Admissions office? I am still waiting on my acceptance packet so I am not sure of everything I have to do yet. I did get my first TB done though. I told my doctor here that I had to get 2 of them and he thought that was strange.
Yes, you just have them sent to the admissions office. They don't really tell you when they receive them, but they're all nice folks so you can call to check on them if you get worried. Or just be like me, and wait until you get a letter telling you they still need your transcripts. :)

LW and Ari....if you two go dog shopping, please please please take me with you. I :love: dogs, and wouldn't miss an opportunity to hang out with them.

(I'm not trying to sound desperate...but this cat just isn't the same as a slobbery, out-of-control, always happy to see you, dog)

Kat, we are gonna get along sooooo well in terms of TV. I HEART project runway. :)

I went with Direct TV instead of Comcast, and I hate it. I've been thinking about switching, but I have like 8 million other more pressing things to do first.

I don't know why they make you get 2 PPDs. I guess there's a percentage of false negatives that they aren't comfortable with, so they make you get 2 just to decrease the odds that you won't come up + if you are. I got my 2nd one earlier this morning...hopefully I will stay negative for TB.

Hey, Coz, I was wondering what had happened to you! Been a while since we've seen you around. Sorry about the PC dude, but you'll have a new comp pretty soon.

The girl who left the class had contacted me originally (back in April) about renting my upstairs floor. At the time, I had already found a roommate, but we stayed in touch because she was going to be one of our classmates. I don't think she was active on SDN. Anyway, she IMed me last week to tell me that she had been offered an MD/PhD slot at another school, which she had been waiting for. So, she withdrew 2 weeks before orientation, and I'm guessing that they gave her spot to Kat. I was kinda bummed at first because she seemed cool - she and I were very similar in terms of age, life experience - and it would've been nice to have another non-trad like me around...but now, Kat also seems like a cool person. So I guess things worked out for the best!

There are lots of theories circulating on how to become a MD resident. SQ told us that you need to demonstrate that you are here for a reason other than school. If you can get a job, even if it's part time, you could state next year that you were working here for the past year. I think they want to make sure that you're paying taxes in the state of MD. There's some residency questionaire that you need to fill out, and they ask you stuff like:

Are you registered to vote in MD?
Is your car registered & titled in MD?
Do you have an MD drivers license?
Did you pay taxes in MD last year?
Do you own/rent property in MD?
Do you have proof of a MD address?
Is most of your personal property in MD?
etc...

If you can answer yes to most/all of these questions, I think they will consider you a resident. I'm not sure if you need to say "yes" to ALL of them...that would be something to contact the appropriate administrative department about. Unfortunately, Maryland is one of those states in which it is notoriously difficult to secure residency. If I were you, I'd start working on saying "yes" to as many of those residency questions as you can!

Thanks for the info. I definitely want to try to become a resident this year. I would think living in Baltimore for the past 4 years would mean something but so many rules and I did apply as an FL resident through AMCAS anyway so I know I can't do anything about it this year. If I was able to get DirecTV I would have gotten that because it is a better price and you can get receivers with TIVO built into them. However with an apartment building you can't get the dish put up so I have to go through comcast which is pretty pricey. Oh and Grey's Anatomy is one of my favorite shows! So I called the Admissions office this morning about the transcripts and they actually already had one of mine from May because I graduated early so that is one less thing I have to do. I guess another person dropped out of the class because I told him I had just got off the waitlist and he asked if this was Lauren Bloom and I said no and then he said my name so I guess there are two of us. Okay so I am trying to decide if I want to bring one of the family cats to school. We have 3 dogs and 5 cats in FL..we are huge animals lovers. I am sure I can find a place to board the cat during holidays. I just feel bad leaving her in a strange place for over week. Any thoughts about having a pet while a student? I am really excited to see that some of you are getting dogs. I am obsessed with dogs so if you ever need a sitter/walker anything, I am your person. I actually decided early on that I could never be a vet because I just couldn't handle bad pet owner and having to put an animal down would upset me too much. Okay and then a more random question about clothes for class. I am pretty sure everyone just wears what they wore in college..jeans tshirts etc. I just want to make sure there is no type of dress code because I know some of the FL schools actually ask you to wear professional attire to class.

Oh and I know the girl that I took the place of decided to go to GW so I am not sure if that is the MD/PHD girl that LW was talking about.

KatdyerA1A said:
Oh and I know the girl that I took the place of decided to go to GW so I am not sure if that is the MD/PHD girl that LW was talking about.

Yeah, that's her.

This two ppd thing is annoying as hell. I've had a ppd every 6 months or more often for the last 2.5 years because I worked with monkeys (for the monkeys' protection, not ours). I wish they'd just give me credit for those. But I'm going to call the student health center today and make an appointment. On the positive side, I'll get to try out my new bike and the ride to campus!

LucidSplash said:
This two ppd thing is annoying as hell. I've had a ppd every 6 months or more often for the last 2.5 years because I worked with monkeys (for the monkeys' protection, not ours). I wish they'd just give me credit for those.

LS, they might give you credit for 1 if you've had it within the past year. My last one was 14 months ago, and they were like, "too bad". So that would lead me to believe that there is an acceptable period during which they will consider a prior PPD - at Georgetown it was 1 year.

My 2nd one itches because I have a mosquito bite right next to it. I guess that's what I get for "landscaping" (i.e. messing with my disaster of a backyard) at 10 at night. But it's just too hot during the day!! :(

I just called Student Health to make an appointment to get my ppd shot...turns out they have scheduled times during the week for this sort of thing:

Mondays 3-4 pm
Tuesdays 12-1:30 pm
Wednesdays 12-1:30 pm

Guess I'm waiting until Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.